Axe Attack

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.

Axe Attack

Postby acinteyyo » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:33 pm

Pubbe cāhaṃ bhikkhave, etarahi ca dukkhañceva paññāpemi, dukkhassa ca nirodhaṃ. (M.22)
Both formerly, monks, and now, it is just suffering that I make known and the ending of suffering.
Pathabyā ekarajjena, saggassa gamanena vā sabbalokādhipaccena, sotāpattiphalaṃ varaṃ. (Dhp 178)
Sole dominion over the earth, going to heaven or lordship over all worlds: the fruit of stream-entry excels them.

:anjali:
acinteyyo

Re: Axe Attack

Postby Laurens » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:46 pm

Thanks for sharing that, a very inspiring story. It is amazing how situations can be dealt with simply by being calm. A lesson that I need to consider on occaison.

On a side note, I'm just curious, I am not sure whether it is the light in the video or what, but I don't think I've ever seen a monk wearing robes of that colour before.

Best wishes
Laurens
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

Carl Sagan
Laurens

Postby Karunika » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:09 am

This venerable has many youtube videos and he is always wearing what appears to be a black robe.
Karunika

Postby Laurens » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:23 am

Karunika wrote:This venerable has many youtube videos and he is always wearing what appears to be a black robe.

Any significance in this?
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

Carl Sagan
Laurens

Postby poto » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:30 am

I thought it was a dark brown robe, which are worn by some forest monks.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C. S. Lewis
poto

Postby Cittasanto » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:19 am

I watched that vid ages ago, I have to admit, he is one of my favourite speakers on Dhammatube!
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Return to Dhammic Stories