Buddhist Cultural Centre's Bookshop in Sri Lanka

Theravāda in the 21st century - modern applications of ancient wisdom

Buddhist Cultural Centre's Bookshop in Sri Lanka

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:23 pm

Greetings,

I just wanted to bring to your attention the...

Buddhist Cultural Centre's Bookshop
http://www.buddhistcc.net/bookshop/

I found this link originally on the Links page of Access To Insight.

I ordered a stack of books from them recently, and found their prices to be really good (even if the postage rates are only so so).

They also have a very diverse and extensive range of books, many I'd never even heard of before. Just be careful when ordering to ensure that you order the books with the EN (English) label... unless you enjoy reading Sinhalese of course.

The prices are in $US, so if your local currency is faring well in comparison to the $US, it might be a good time to invest in some Dhamma Books!

:reading:

Feel free also to share links to other good sources of Dhamma Books!

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: Buddhist Cultural Centre's Bookshop in Sri Lanka

Postby r_w_graves » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:36 pm

The BuddhistCC is, then, apparently a legitimate enterprise? Their bookstore website refuses to accept two of my assuredly-valid credit cards (via their HSBC connection). In response to my several email queries, BCC has replied to me that the problem is with my credit card and that I should contact my bank. This is simply not the problem. Also, I get error windows (page not available) whenever I try to edit my BCC account information. I was trying to check/correct my account info because the order summary page shows my first/last name without an intervening space. Or, do they perhaps automatically reject US orders? Thanks for any suggestions/help!
Metta,
R W Graves
r_w_graves

Postby LauraJ » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:52 pm

Thanks Retro :anjali:
Dharma Wheel
Buddha Blog

Conquer the angry man by love. Conquer the ill-natured man by goodness. Conquer the miser with generosity. Conquer the liar with truth. -The Dhammapada
LauraJ

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:51 pm

Greetings,

r_w_graves wrote:The BuddhistCC is, then, apparently a legitimate enterprise?

Yes, though I think they've got a thing or two to learn about customer service and website maintenance.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby suanck » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:46 am

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

r_w_graves wrote:The BuddhistCC is, then, apparently a legitimate enterprise?

Yes, though I think they've got a thing or two to learn about customer service and website maintenance.

I was there, visiting their office and bookshop in February 2006, during my pilgrimage trip to Sri Lanka. It's a nice place, with many good Buddhist books for sale. At that time, they did not have a website and online ordering facility, so, I can't comment on that. However, I'm sure it's a legitimate enterprise.

Suan
suanck

Postby pilgrim » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:20 pm

Just as a point of interest, I was told by a monk in Sri Lanka that after the Dambulla temple, the BCC is the most active in the ordination and support of bhikkhunis. :clap:
pilgrim

Postby LauraJ » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:34 pm

pilgrim wrote:Just as a point of interest, I was told by a monk in Sri Lanka that after the Dambulla temple, the BCC is the most active in the ordination and support of bhikkhunis. :clap:

That is good to know, thanks :anjali:
Dharma Wheel
Buddha Blog

Conquer the angry man by love. Conquer the ill-natured man by goodness. Conquer the miser with generosity. Conquer the liar with truth. -The Dhammapada
LauraJ

Postby bodom » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:23 pm

Nice find! Very cheap. They have Analayos book for $3.50! I paid almost 30 US dollars for mine.

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby jcsuperstar » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:42 am

i thought i posted here before... but thanks to reading this thread when it was first new i bought books there

i thank you retro, my wife however does not :tongue:
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Postby rwgraves » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:15 pm

r_w_graves wrote:The BuddhistCC is, then, apparently a legitimate enterprise? Their bookstore website refuses to accept two of my assuredly-valid credit cards (via their HSBC connection). In response to my several email queries, BCC has replied to me that the problem is with my credit card and that I should contact my bank. This is simply not the problem. Also, I get error windows (page not available) whenever I try to edit my BCC account information. I was trying to check/correct my account info because the order summary page shows my first/last name without an intervening space. Or, do they perhaps automatically reject US orders? Thanks for any suggestions/help!
Metta,
R W Graves

Just a follow-up regarding my BuddhistCC online book ordering problems. After several helpful email exchanges with both the BuddhistCC itself and their HSBC/GlobalPay partners, I have succeeded in ordering some books. Apparently a software change was needed, and that has been accomplished. My thanks to all involved.
Metta,
RWGraves
rwgraves

Return to Theravāda for the modern world