Samatha vs. Vipassana, am I thinking of this correctly?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Cittasanto

Re: Samatha vs. Vipassana, am I thinking of this correctly?

Post by Cittasanto »

Yeah, what I have read of the version there the books I have already read are enough without buying that one. it wouldn't add anything specifically new which isn't found in my library, or freely available books online
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Sean,
seanpdx wrote: On which side of the "sati-patthana/sati-upatthana" debate are you, and why?
seanpdx wrote: Have you read any academic papers on the subject?
seanpdx wrote: I wholeheartedly recommend "Mindfulness in Early Buddhism: New approaches through psychology and textual analysis of Pali, Chinese, and Sanskrit sources" by Tse-fu Kuan. Good read.
How about summarising what you think are the important aspects of satipatthana, in light of such works?

Metta
Mike
seanpdx

Post by seanpdx »

mikenz66 wrote:Hi Sean,
seanpdx wrote: On which side of the "sati-patthana/sati-upatthana" debate are you, and why?
seanpdx wrote: Have you read any academic papers on the subject?
seanpdx wrote: I wholeheartedly recommend "Mindfulness in Early Buddhism: New approaches through psychology and textual analysis of Pali, Chinese, and Sanskrit sources" by Tse-fu Kuan. Good read.
How about summarising what you think are the important aspects of satipatthana, in light of such works?

Metta
Mike
I was actually hoping to quietly remove myself from this thread. Right speech and all. Perhaps in another thread.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

there are a few relevant threads if you wish to continue on one of them, mahasatipatthana may be the most relevant just do a quick search it was started by me when the forum started for the exploration.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
seanpdx

Post by seanpdx »

Manapa wrote:there are a few relevant threads if you wish to continue on one of them, mahasatipatthana may be the most relevant just do a quick search it was started by me when the forum started for the exploration.
Yowza. I'm not sure I'd want to contribute to that thread without a proper critical reading of your Exploration. And to do it full justice would take some time! =D
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

no critical reading necesary that version isn't brilliant or anything but any addition you think may be appropriate would be welcome, or any unique research you think may be worth looking at, I have just finished/all most finished editing the kaya area of the sutta, just to read through and get it proof read before moving on.

John Stuart Mill
christopher:::

Post by christopher::: »

Just want to thank everyone for their contributions to this discussion. Reading now, it's been very helpful...

:anjali:
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009