Satipatthana: the direct path to realization

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Ben

Satipatthana: the direct path to realization

Post by Ben »

Hi all

I've just commenced reading Venerable Analayo's Satipatthana: the direct path to realization. The book is a slightly expanded version of Bhante's PhD thesis (University of Peredeniya, Sri Lanka, 2000).
I'm only part way through and I am impressed with the depth of research and treatment.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_0_19? ... a%3A+the+d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What I would like to know is whether anyone else has read it and what comments you have on Venerable's work.
And one further question... if anyone has Venerable's email - I have a couple of questions that I would like to send him.
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
retrofuturist

Re: Satipatthana: the direct path to realization

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Ben,

It's next on my reading list after the 3 texts I'm currently trying to read in parallel!

Looking forward to it, but I don't mind if others want to spoil the plot in the meantime.

:reading:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Retro
I can loan you my copy to read if you are ready to take it on when you part the waters of Bass Strait and visit.
Cheers

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Hi Ben,

Nah, it's cool... it's already on the bookshelf looking all nice and pretty.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

I have this book and read it half way through, but as with a lot of things I got bored and stopped. I seem to remember wondering why he translated words differently to other people so often... but I can't think of an example. To be honest, this book was my first Dhamma book and I was cautious because I'd bought it from a FWBO centre (when I was brand new to Buddhism). I think it was a LOT for me to swallow at the time, but maybe I should go back to it now :)
bodom

Post by bodom »

This is the most in depth commentary on this sutta available in the english language. This might be the best most in depth commentary on any sutta for that matter. I have read this book a half dozen times and find new insights every time i pick it up. This is my meditation manual, my Visuddhimagga. Christopher titmus has said that he believes this commentary witten by Ven. Analayo surpasses all previous commentaries written in the theravadin tradition in the past 2000 years. I agree.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thanks b3! I did read that review by Titmuss and I am pleased that you not only agree with him, but you've studied Venerable's work intensely yourself and use it as a manual! As I mentioned earlier, I am only parly into the work and I have been impressed. I am sure that like you, I will return to it time and again.
metta

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

hi ben
http://www.buddhismuskunde.uni-hamburg. ... f/analayo/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

here is a file from the university of hamberg which has some of Bhantes works of varying sizes and much is very interesting, although some are copies from encyclopedia entries by bhante there are other papers there!
and you might be able to contact bhante through one of the links on his profile found here http://www.buddhismuskunde.uni-hamburg. ... .html?&L=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
there are other papers from other authors found in predominantly German, but some English also.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Manapa
Thanks for that! Actually, some of the questions that I would like to ask venerable are in relation to his paper on 'the ancient roots of the u ba khin meditation method' or similar title that I read before going off on retreat.
Greatly appreciated!
metta

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

I have half read that paper, not had time to finish it although very interesting, and I am plucking up the courage to read another one called from craving to liberation which is 177 pages long, wish I enjoyed reading on my computer.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
IanAnd

Post by IanAnd »

Ben wrote: I've just commenced reading Venerable Analayo's Satipatthana: the direct path to realization. The book is a slightly expanded version of Bhante's PhD thesis (University of Peredeniya, Sri Lanka, 2000).
I'm only part way through and I am impressed with the depth of research and treatment.

What I would like to know is whether anyone else has read it and what comments you have on Venerable's work.
I have been recommending this book to people for the past two years, and would agree with the comments made by bodom bad boy.

I've written extensively on this subject in another forum, a private forum that was started for serious practitioners, as are many who come here looking for inspiration and answers. It is my contention that Ven. Analayo's book is best read in conjunction with another book on the practice of satipatthana, a classic in its own right, Ven. Nyanaponika Thera's The Heart of Buddhist Meditation.

Those who have some interest might find some food for thought and contemplation beginning in the first post in the thread "The Importance of Using Satipatthana in Training" referenced here in the "Theravadan Talk" section of the other forum: http://thirdjewel.myfreeforum.org/ftopic69-0-asc-10.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; This link is to the second page of that thread, but there are some interesting passages on the first page as well. The second page is where I began to introduce the book a little more.

But when you get there you will need to use the following login instructions to enter the forum. Once you are logged in, if you copy the link above into your web browser and then paste it into the browser destination bar once you are in the forum and click on it, it will take you directly to the thread. Otherwise, you can click on the "Theravadan Talk" forum and look for the thread in the sticky posts at the top of the forum:
thirdjewel forum wrote:[url=http://thirdjewel.myfreeforum.%20org]http://thirdjewel.myfreeforum. org[/url]
Login name: thirdwheel
Password: thirdwheel

They ask that you not post anything while using this login to check things out. When you are ready to join, there is a "Join (free!)" link at the top of the forum index page in the link above.
Ben wrote: And one further question... if anyone has Venerable's email - I have a couple of questions that I would like to send him.
metta
The only person I know who has a direct line to Ven. Analayo is Bhikkhu Gavesako. Although I'm unsure how willing he would be to disclose it. It wouldn't hurt to ask him, I'm sure.
"The gift of truth exceeds all other gifts" — Dhammapada, v. 354 Craving XXIV
puthujjana

Post by puthujjana »

Ben wrote:Actually, some of the questions that I would like to ask venerable are in relation to his paper on 'the ancient roots of the u ba khin meditation method' or similar title that I read before going off on retreat.
That's an very interesting article.

Does anyone know if there is a complete english version of the mentioned Dhyānasamādhi Sūtra available online?

with metta
:anjali:
"Once you understand anatta, then the burden of life is gone. You’ll be at peace with the world. When we see beyond self, we no longer cling to happiness and we can truly be happy."
- Ajahn Chah
IanAnd

Post by IanAnd »

puthujjana wrote:That's an very interesting article.

Does anyone know if there is a complete english version of the mentioned Dhyānasamādhi Sūtra available online?
Do you have the Nikaya volume and sutta number to give us? (For example: MN 22 or DN 16. These stand for Majjhima Nikaya sutta #22 and Digha Nikaya sutta #16) It would help to have these references so others would know which sutta you are referring to other than just by the sutta's Pali title. (Obviously, I haven't — and don't intend to — looked at the linked to paper.)
"The gift of truth exceeds all other gifts" — Dhammapada, v. 354 Craving XXIV
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

puthujjana wrote: That's an very interesting article.

I have done a search and checked the mahayana sites I know of but I can not see it!

John Stuart Mill
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thanks Ian!

- Sutta Nipata 3.725