YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Why did you choose Theravada? - Page 8 - Dhamma Wheel

Why did you choose Theravada?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Cafael Dust

Re: Why did you choose Theravada?

Postby Cafael Dust » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:04 am

I must lack wisdom. My roots are shallow. My heart is too pale and wormy to be nourished by the sutra's fine light. My eyes are filmy with the fat of ignorance, they reflect back to me only the poverty of my nature. My capacity is hin, my qualities are inferior. I lack both metta and ability.

This must be so, because I can't see the beauty in the lotus.

So why am I smiling? Someone must know.
Not twice, not three times, not once,
the wheel is turning.

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:28 am

_/|\_

Monkey Mind

Postby Monkey Mind » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:03 am

"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:15 am

Cafael Dust

Postby Cafael Dust » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:17 am

the wheel is turning.

pink_trike

Postby pink_trike » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:40 am

Last edited by pink_trike on Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:19 am, edited 10 times in total.
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.

Cafael Dust

Postby Cafael Dust » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:44 am

Do you understand it and have insight into it, having read that book?
the wheel is turning.

pink_trike

Postby pink_trike » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:46 am

Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:16 am

I'd be quite interested in knowing how Mahayana practitioners see and or explain the creation of the Sutras. What is the general out look in Mahayana circles? I imagine that critical thinking is not exclusive to Theravada.

This is my opinion - Mahayana sutras are certainly not the word of the historical Buddha, and are clearly a later invention by some very intelligent individuals. These Sutras put their credibility on the fact that the Buddha is speaking them, do they not? Now if these Sutras are not the word of the historical Buddha, what is the logical implication of that? Can a Mahayana practitioner know and accept that the Sutras are not the word of the Buddha and still practice accordingly?

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." -

pink_trike

Postby pink_trike » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:55 am

Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:02 am

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:09 am

"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." -

pink_trike

Postby pink_trike » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:12 am

Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Paññāsikhara

Postby Paññāsikhara » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:24 am

My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: .

Paññāsikhara

Postby Paññāsikhara » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:40 am

Oh, I think that the AN quote above may be AN 4:164: "Evamevaṃ kho, devānaminda, yaṃ kiñci subhāsitaṃ sabbaṃ taṃ tassa bhagavato vacanaṃ arahato sammāsambuddhassa." "So it is, O King of the Gods!, whatever is well spoken, all that is is the speech of the Blessed One, the Worthy One, the Fully Awakened One." (translation my own)
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: .

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:51 am

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:31 am

Hi Bhante, just to clear up a quick possible misconception. If I made the inference that the Pali Canon is clear cut Buddhavacana, then that was not the intention. I quite agree that there are parts of KN that are later compositions. Even in the first four Nikayas there is the odd sutta of questionable authenticity, Maurice Walsh points out at least 1 in his translation of the Digha Nikaya (which I don't currently have on hand)

Tilt, thank you for that post - Interesting stuff.

Paññāsikhara

Postby Paññāsikhara » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:22 am

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:29 am

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:40 am

I feel like I am missing something here :shrug:
So the importance of whether the Buddha (or his Canonical disciples) actually spoke X discourse isn't important to people?

I don't mean to say the Suttas or Sutras that are ascribed to the Buddha, but we're not actually spoken by him don't have value, or can't serve as profound teachings capable of leading to insight. Nor do I think we should fuss excessively over what parts of the Tipitaka were actually spoken by the Buddha... If it the shoe fits, cool. I don't think we could ever come to a definite conclusions on that one. My concern I guess has been with the... I dunno actually.

I don't know what to think really...
Will sleep on it.

metta
Jack

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”