Satipatthana: the direct path to realization

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Cittasanto

Re: Satipatthana: the direct path to realization

Post by Cittasanto »

bodom_bad_boy wrote:Does anyone know of any links to actual medtitation instruction by Ven. Analayo. I am curious as to what type of practice Analayo practices and teaches. I believe he may practice in Mahasi's tradition as he notes in this book on the usefulness of noting and labelling in meditation practice.

:anjali:
I can't help you there but it isn't in the links i posted earlier in the thread! although he has written a paper on the Goenka technique but I cant directly help.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
bodom

Post by bodom »

I came across a website saying he teaches at a place called Levalla Meditation Centre but i cant find any info on the place.

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

Try faxing this centre for more information on his current contact numbers:

Levalla Meditation Centre, 160 Dharmashoka Mawatha, Kandy 20000,
Tel. ( 7-12 am ) 08-225471
Fax ( 1- 6 pm ) 08-225471
At northern boundary of the 'Udavattakale Sanctuary' A Meditation Centre connected with Nilambe, mainly for lay-people, 4 kutis also possible for monks Ven.Analayo, a German monk, is in charge of the place. It is best to visit in the morning from 8 am-1pm, after that Ven Analayo retires into the silence of the upper kuti area until next dawn.
http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:dV ... clnk&gl=au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi all
Manapa wrote:
bodom_bad_boy wrote:Does anyone know of any links to actual medtitation instruction by Ven. Analayo. I am curious as to what type of practice Analayo practices and teaches. I believe he may practice in Mahasi's tradition as he notes in this book on the usefulness of noting and labelling in meditation practice.

I can't help you there but it isn't in the links i posted earlier in the thread! although he has written a paper on the Goenka technique but I cant directly help.
When I was at Vipassana Meditation Centre Blackheath last week, one of the owners of Dhammabooks who recommended and sold me the book Satipatthana: the direct path to realization said that Venerable had been appointed as an assistant teacher to SN Goenka. But after reading some of the book, reading some of his other works and from the discussion here, I am now not so sure. Hopefully its one of the things I can get cleared up if I can get in contact with Bhante.
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Moggalana

Post by Moggalana »

According to this site, Bhikkhu Analayo is currently working as a private lecturer at the University of Hamburg, doing research work at Dharma Drum Buddhist College (Taiwan), and teaching in Sri Lanka. But there is no direct contact information. His book does certainly sound interesting. It's already on my amazon wishlist, but maybe I'll wait for the German translation.
Let it come. Let it be. Let it go.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thanks Moggalana
It might be worth waiting for the German translation - I take it that German is your native language?
The book is excellent but information dense and I imagine you'll find it easier to digest in your native language.
Thanks also for Ven Analayo's profile page at Uni of Hamburg and Dharma Drum Buddhist College. Manapa had already posted those earlier but I do appreciate the effort you have gone to to assist me.
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

bodom

Post by bodom »

http://www.buddhanet-de.net/lewella" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

hi Ben,
It would supprise me if he was a teacher of Goenka, although it wouldn't supprise me if he had in the past! or used goenkas style as a template of sorts to teach his style. I do hope someone finds a pdf of his 'lesson plan' it would be interesting to compare with my own practice (not like I don't need to push further :juggling: )
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
adeh

Post by adeh »

Hi Ben, just to say that I've read the book four times in the last two years.....it's one of my favorites and a constant reference..I can't wait for him to write something else..with Metta, Adeh.
Rhino

Post by Rhino »

Moggalana wrote:...but maybe I'll wait for the German translation.
I'm not sure if you know it. The publisher Beyerlein&Steinschulte announced to publish the book. Firstly it was announced for publishing in may 2009, but it was a few times deferred . It seems to be still work in progress.

Here the link for announcement:
http://www.buddhareden.de/vorschau.htm
With best wishes

Only in a vertical view, straight down into the abyss of his own personal existence, is a man capable of apprehending the perilous insecurity of his situation; and only a man who does apprehend this is prepared to listen to the Buddha's Teaching.
Nanavira Thera - Notes on Dhamma
Moggalana

Post by Moggalana »

Thanks for the link, Rhino :) I think, I'll wait. There are still too many books in my bookshelf I haven't had the time to read yet...
Let it come. Let it be. Let it go.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Manapa
Manapa wrote:hi Ben,
It would supprise me if he was a teacher of Goenka, although it wouldn't supprise me if he had in the past! or used goenkas style as a template of sorts to teach his style. I do hope someone finds a pdf of his 'lesson plan' it would be interesting to compare with my own practice (not like I don't need to push further :juggling: )
Yes, after reading a couple of chapters I began to doubt what Colin told me about Venerable being appointed an AT.

Thanks Adeh for your comments. I'm not even half-way through Satipatthana yet though I can tell its going to be one book that I will continue to come back to for many years to come. If you scroll up through this discussion you'll find links in a post by Manapa which will lead to a list of Venerable's online publications. Give it a shot!
metta

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

adept

Post by adept »

Well, after reading this discussion and the high recommendation that this book gets, I've ordered it today.
Thanks everyone.
:thanks:
Prasadachitta

Post by Prasadachitta »

Hi Ben,

I found this book immensely helpful to my practice and I will continue to refer to it for years to come. It leaves good questions to explore in practice and it clarifies at the same time. I found that Analyos definition of Satipattana as attending with mindfulness rather than making your experience an "Object of mindfulness" a subtly helpful distinction.

Gabe
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332
Prasadachitta

Post by Prasadachitta »

Manapa wrote:hi ben
http://www.buddhismuskunde.uni-hamburg. ... f/analayo/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

here is a file from the university of hamberg which has some of Bhantes works of varying sizes and much is very interesting, although some are copies from encyclopedia entries by bhante there are other papers there!
and you might be able to contact bhante through one of the links on his profile found here http://www.buddhismuskunde.uni-hamburg. ... .html?&L=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
there are other papers from other authors found in predominantly German, but some English also.

Thanks for that I have now waded through a number of excellent essays and will continue on.

Metta

Gabe
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332