TOS 1

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
Cittasanto

TOS 1

Postby Cittasanto » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:31 pm

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

Dan74

Re: TOS 1

Postby Dan74 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:45 pm

The added complication on an online board such as this, is that people come from different cultures and have different notions of what constitutes civil exchange. You can't please everyone and I don't expect anyone to change their manner but perhaps people can keep this (above) in mind when they post and maybe occasionally get a partner or a friend to peruse for some feedback?

_/|\_
_/|\_

Fede

Postby Fede » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:15 pm

Both valid and salient points.
However, you have absolutely nooo idea just how much faith I have in the Moderators here to exercise restraint, balance and impartiality.
I've known most for a long time (not saying that either of you haven't!) but I know enough about them personally to completely trust their judgement and decisions in any given situation.
That's not to say I would always agree with them.
I too am a Moderator on other forums, and I fully appreciate what a complex minefield Moderating can be....
Sometimes decisions to be taken are not always comfortable, and neither might they be popular.
But they do not moderate from a comfort zone, neither do they do it for popularirty.
they simply do it for all the Right Reasons.
I am fully confident of that.
so I really do trust them to be able to distinguish between cultural differences, and the difficulties faced when communicating in a uniquely written medium...
And should I get moderated ever, I would fully expect the Moderators to have done so for valid reasons. In short, I'd probably deserve it.
So whilst I might feel like arguing my corner, the overwhelming reason for moderation, is because a guideline got breached....

So, that said, I would strongly advise any new member to peruse the TOS.
It's politeness, after all....
You wouldn't book into a hotel and fully expect to act entirely as you might wish,.... so why would you enter a forum with that frame of mind?
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:28 pm

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:50 pm

Fair enough. Will keep that in mind for the future.

_/|\_
_/|\_

Fede

Postby Fede » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:42 pm

"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:07 pm

Hi Fede, & tilt
Its not a suggestion that the moderators or TOS are too strict or lax or a criticism of and moderators moderation, I personally am satisfied with the moderation here and the TOS looseness, if that is the word to use, it is more as a heads up suggestion not needing to be specifically part of TOS1 a P.S., even, for new members who may not be familiar with on-line communication in forums or members here than as a moderation standard.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

Fede

Postby Fede » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:28 pm

Having now followed the link in your OP (Foolish of me, I know... I shoulda dun it sooner) I can see where certain issues might have arisen.

Notwithstanding the difficulties posed in interpretation of the meanings and intentions of people's posts, purely because all we have to go on, is the written word, and no inflection, expression, etc., etc., etc...., I think sometimes their tone and intention slaps us in the face like a damp kipper, and their intended meaning and intonation is abundantly clear.

Occasionally, a well-placed reminder of TOS - even in the middle of a thread, and even within a discussion where a Mod is participating - is both appropriate and suitable.
And frankly, whilst I will tolerate the occasional barbed and personal comment aimed at me (comes with the package deal) I am less inclined to tolerate it when aimed at others, who have no such recourse to self defence as I have.

Bet thatz jest me.

Mawkish1983

Postby Mawkish1983 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:35 pm

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:19 pm

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:29 pm

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:34 pm

Also, I want to thank you all for your concern and your feedback. It is heartening that you care enough for DhammaWheel that you are willing to take the time to help make this a good place to come to for discussion.

alan

Private Messages

Postby alan » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:32 pm

First I'll have to ask you all to forgive my complete lameness; for many reasons I've spent a few years away from computers. I originally rejected them, but now I admit that was dumb. It's a long story. Ok, I'm a dope at this. I've been in a cave. Not really, but you get the point. Anyway, my question is how to do the quote unquote thing and how to do pm.
thanks and please forgive me!

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:50 pm

hi Alan each user has a PM button under there name in the posts you just click that to PM someone!

to quote someone you click quote on the righthand side of the post you want to quote.

if quoting several posts you can highlight and copy each part of the posts you want to quote and then paste into your response as normal then highlight the quoted section and press quote just above where you type on the left hand side, although you may want to open up a new window with the thread posts displayed

catmoon

Postby catmoon » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:07 am

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:42 am

Return to “Suggestion box”