Why did you choose Theravada?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
chownah

Re: Why did you choose Theravada?

Post by chownah »

alan wrote:What I'd really like to know is, are there specific Mahayana concepts that anyone here rejected? If so, why?
Web searches have resulted in "there isn't really a big difference" articles, but surely there must be.
Thanks!
Yes, I reject self flagellation.
chownah
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

chownah wrote:
alan wrote:What I'd really like to know is, are there specific Mahayana concepts that anyone here rejected? If so, why?
Web searches have resulted in "there isn't really a big difference" articles, but surely there must be.
Thanks!
chownah

Huh? :shock:

Nobody told me!

_/|\_
_/|\_
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

chownah wrote:
Thanks!
chownah
Hi Chownah
I am not sure what you mean here? I have not heard of this practice in Mahayana.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
seanpdx

Post by seanpdx »

pink_trike wrote:lol. So this whole drama boils down to this: the word "increasingly" is a dangerous word, and not having time to cite sources immediately is suspicious, at best. Or maybe not...let's deconstruct this thread a bit from a group process perspective. :tongue:
You appear to have great difficulty in keeping people and conversations separate. Not only do I not want to be lumped in with you and your opinions, I don't want to be lumped in with anyone else here and their opinions. My posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions of others, and others' posts do not necessarily reflect my opinions. Do not conflate the two.
Fede

Post by Fede »

Thanks!
Alan, in answer to your question, and in a desperately feeble attempt to bring or steer the topic back to your original post -

I didn't so much reject Mahayana concepts, as simply chose to not consider them as part of my practice.
What I do, that is associated predominantly with Mahayana, is use a mala and chant several different mantras, and consider Tara to be a companion.
Just like I choose to take metaphorical tea with Yama, too, as a matter of habit.....

But I like the clear, unambiguous succinct and no-nonsense approach of Theravada, though as many of those who know me well, will tell you, it took me a while to pin my Theravada colours to the Buddhist mast.....

I am not a studious and constant pupil.
Much of what Theravada brings me, is beyond my ken, and I read, try to digest, become confused and leave it aside, very much in this kind of mental mode.... :rolleye:

I'm a simple-minded individual, so whilst I do actually take more notice than many might assume, I'm very happy to devote my time to concentrating on the Four, Eight and Five (occasionally Eight, when the occasion so warrants....)
I don't feel wrong, or.... traitorous.... for adopting certain Mahayana practices.
if it all helps, why knock it?
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Fede wrote:If it all helps, why knock it?
Gets my vote :). I am learning more and more that the traditions aren't as clear-cut as I once believed. I guess in the end it simply doesn't matter as long as progress towards the goal is made (particularly at my level where I struggle with the simplest of practices, adhering to the five precepts!).
Vardali

Post by Vardali »

Peter is asking, perhaps rightly so, what's in it for PT from posting on this forum.

While I couldn't even venture a guess, I would like to say, though, that I very much appreciate his posts.
Being an absolute beginner on Theravada groundwork, I find his pointers to pehaps looking at things from a different pespective very interesting and often thought-provoking. :)

And his disclaimer regarding him not being a relgious/orthodox practitioner is also clearly sated, so there is little risk of confusion there. So, I am grateful for his padticipation here.

Just my 0.02 Euro on OT comment, just to balance the "vibes" ... :D
poto

Post by poto »

As to the debate over the historical Buddha. I have a hard time believing that no historical Buddha existed.

For anybody interested in a bit of history, here's a link to a photo-tour of some ancient Buddhist sites in India:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogu ... adh-2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Which I initially discovered from a mention on Ven. Dhammika's blog:
http://sdhammika.blogspot.com/2009/12/t ... gadha.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I found the photo-tour interesting and inspiring. Although, it's not solid proof of a historical Buddha, I do find it reassuring that so many of those ancient places which the Buddha is said to have frequented have been identified. Maybe some day I'll be able to tour those places and see them for myself. :D
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C. S. Lewis
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

As to the debate over the historical Buddha. I have a hard time believing that no historical Buddha existed.

From the bits and bobs I have read of the Sutta Pitaka it's been clear to me that when all the stock passages are taken away this whole Dhamma really does seem to originate from one voice. I don't think I can even try to entertain doubts that the voice that discovered this Dhamma was indeed one who has known and seen the world and human condition for what it is. I cannot see another possibility :shrug:

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Jack
When you get some time, have a look around for Richard Gombrich's How Buddhism Began: the conditioned genesis of the early teachings. It'll be well worth your while.
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Calahand

Post by Calahand »

Thanks!
well in my view, some traditions in mahayana almost view the buddha as a God, which I don't like, and theravada emphasizes more on logic/see it for yourself type an ideology than mahayana.
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Hi Ben

Did an online search at Otago Uni library website and 11 of Gombrich's works are available for e-book download.
Woo hoo, guess where my weekend is going :D

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Reductor

Post by Reductor »

Ben wrote:Hi Jack
When you get some time, have a look around for Richard Gombrich's How Buddhism Began: the conditioned genesis of the early teachings. It'll be well worth your while.
metta

Ben
Stop, Ben, Stop! I can only afford so many books :tongue: Just ordered the Visudhimagga and "The heart of Buddhist meditation".

EDIT: Jack, do you have a link? I can always use a link. Thanks.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

BlackBird wrote:Hi Ben

Did an online search at Otago Uni library website and 11 of Gombrich's works are available for e-book download.
Woo hoo, guess where my weekend is going :D

metta
Jack
Link, please.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Sorry to be a downer, but upon closer examination there's only three, one of such being the afformentioned work. Also requires my university account/pw to view.

metta
Jack
Last edited by BlackBird on Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.