Saying "I am a Buddhist"

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
seanpdx

Re: Saying "I am a Buddhist"

Post by seanpdx »

nowheat wrote:I don't recognize the distinction that some do, that you have to have taken the precepts to be a Buddhist. To me, a Buddhist is someone who gives their best efforts to following the teachings of the Buddha and that is all it's about -- lineages and refuges are only peripherally relevant.
Indeed. When I decided to actually "become" (?) a (practicing?) buddhist, I shaved my head and took refuge. Not because that's what makes me a buddhist -- it most certainly does not -- but rather to fix in my own mind what it is I wanted to do.
nowheat wrote:And then, I'm an evangelist for Buddhism. I don't hand out pamphlets, or knock on doors, and get in people's faces, but I see Buddhism as both extremely helpful for individuals and having huge potential for changing social attitudes and the history of the world if its message of tolerance spreads. If I don't stand up and say I'm a Buddhist, how will anyone know what a Buddhist might look like, act like? Who can someone interested come to privately to get past their discomfort about asking about Buddhism if there's not a tolerant Buddhist known to them, someone who labeled themselves a Buddhist?

If I don't agree with everything every Buddhist everywhere stands for, that makes it more important, not less, for me to stand up for the sort of Buddhism I do believe in. Any religion (any belief system) represents a range of people and ideologies; if I don't make my voice heard then those who get interested in Buddhism but can't accept its more fantastic beliefs may feel they are alone in worrying about those parts of Buddhism they can't take on faith, and they may turn away and lose the opportunity to find a practice that is both logical and very helpful in their lives.
I agree wholeheartedly, and this is one of the reasons I don't shy away from calling myself a buddhist. I have no interest in converting anyone, but if someone wants to learn more about buddhism I am more than happy to indulge them. And, hopefully, I can teach them about buddhism and the Buddha's teachings in a way that they can accept/understand. And in a way that's somewhat accurate. =)
dspiewak

Post by dspiewak »

This is an interesting thread. I started calling myself a Buddhist for the same reason I took refuge in the first place: commitment. I typically refrain from all things that put me at risk of failure and embarrassment, and it's a tough habit to break. I find myself ashamed of that, and that disrupts my practice, so to that extent I find it helpful to demonstrate my commitment.

I do understand that there are good reasons not to go around declaring oneself a Buddhist, however, and I agree with them. In fact, the reality I see is that there isn't much reason to do so. No one in my life goes around threatening anyone unless they give a one-word description of their religious worldview. In fact, not many people in my life demonstrate any interest in talking about the spiritual/transcendent aspect of life at all. There is a part of my mind that badly wants to define myself for (and perhaps defend myself to) others, but a calm view of things shows me that it's a waste of energy to prepare for such a moment that will probably never happen.
SDC

Post by SDC »

What is the intention when we speak to others about our beliefs? What is the goal?

First off, like some others said, I don't get into it unless a discussion goes in that direction or unless I am directly asked. I am not embarrassed or ashamed but sometimes it is not appropriate or necessary. But when I do, I simply say, "I practice Buddhism” or “I practice Buddhist teachings”. Some may see this as nitpicking, but I believe our words can mean far more then we expect sometimes. I am very careful and specific. I don’t want to say anything that would diminish what Buddhism is or not properly convey the ideas to another person. I want to have that person leave with some understanding of it, even if it is only a very small aspect. I feel the statement; “I am a Buddhist” starts the dialogue of on the wrong foot. It automatically sets Buddhist ideas on the same level as other religions/philosophies and conveys the idea, “I have chose this way and the work is done.” And we all know choosing to walk the path is only the beginning.

So what is my intention? What is my goal when it comes to publicly discussing my beliefs? To show respect for the teachings and properly explain them within reason to whom I’m talking to. And considering most of those around me, to start that off with, “I am a Buddhist” would very much hinder that goal. As far as I am concerned, when it comes to talking about Buddhism, it’s about spreading the ideas for the benefit of everyone, not about declaring my association to them. I know my level of devotion to the Buddha, the teachings and those that follow. Saying the words, “I am a Buddhist”, even just to myself, would not affect that level. However if it helps others build confidence in their practice I fully encourage it.

Agree? Disagree?
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Fede

Post by Fede »

Oh this is difficult.
to stand up and be counted, but admit it's just a label,
or
to stand up and be counted and be glad you wear the label.

Intention is all, I guess.
it's important to let people know what you will stand for.
it's equally important to let them know what you WON'T stand for.

Informing people you're Buddhist is a way of communicating some of those things, and opening up avenues of dialogue which can only increase knowledge, and decrease ignorance.

I think....
So far....
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ben

Post by Ben »

Fede wrote:Informing people you're Buddhist is a way of communicating some of those things, and opening up avenues of dialogue which can only increase knowledge, and decrease ignorance.
This is excellent Fede! And it mirrors my own attitude. The label is just a means to an end, and not something to get attached to.
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

Hmmm... I have tried to answer this post several times, and I find the whole thing complicated. My closest friends know that I am a Buddhist, but don't necessarily know what that means and I have to address misconceptions a lot. My husband and I had a Buddhist wedding; I keep an alter in the house and he has seen me meditating many times. However, I do feel embarrassed when he sees me chanting, and in general I save this practice for when he is not around. Not sure what that is about, I need to clarify that with myself. My coworkers know I attend meditation retreats, but when they ask me about these experiences I have a hard time explaining. "It's just something I do." They also know that on some days I engage in "fasting", which is how I explain Uposatha days. In my town, if I identify as being Buddhist, I often hear one or more of three awkward questions: "What is your Dharma name?" ; "Who is your teacher?" ; and "Are you familiar with the life empowering chant Nam Myoho Renge Kyo?" Depending on how I answer any of these questions, I often get the response, "Well, you're not really a Buddhist then, are you?" So I tend to keep my Buddhist practice as private unless I know the person and their practice.
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
yuuki

Post by yuuki »

I don't mind saying I'm a Buddhist.

On the contrary I think it keeps me honest about the way I present the teachings. If I were just "eclectic", then I could put whatever spin I wanted on the Buddha's words, or present them in a convenient way while putting distance between the Buddha and me.

But that's not how I feel. I feel that I can take the Buddha seriously, not just as a myth or a metaphor or a path among many equivalent paths.

I think knowing that people are going to ask difficult questions spurs my mind to make a full effort to Right View, such that I can teach it to others as well.

In other words, it's an extra challenge, and a lot of fun! :)
seanpdx

Post by seanpdx »

Monkey Mind wrote:Depending on how I answer any of these questions, I often get the response, "Well, you're not really a Buddhist then, are you?"
I love getting that from people. Invariably, they're people whose only knowledge of buddhism is that the Buddha was a fat, jolly guy. =D
Fede

Post by Fede »

Yes, somebody told me "your fat Chinese friend lied to you"

I had great fun stripping him to bits and tearing him a new @$$hole.

With metta and Compassion, of course! :quote: :jumping:
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

Well, it finally happened. A friend gave me a statue of Hotoi (spelling?) for Christmas. I keep an eclectic alter, but not sure what to do with this guy...
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
Fede

Post by Fede »

doorstop?

e-bay?

'accidentally' drop the sucker...?

Tex

Post by Tex »

Monkey Mind wrote:Well, it finally happened. A friend gave me a statue of Hotoi (spelling?) for Christmas. I keep an eclectic alter, but not sure what to do with this guy...
Hotei or Budai.

I'm in a slightly similar situation -- my mother, meaning well, got me a Buddhist calendar for Christmas (heh), but of course all the artwork on it is Mahayana. No idea what to do with it!
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus
Fede

Post by Fede »

Actually guys, I have two statues of HoTei (or whatever....) and a Buddhist calendar probably exactly like yours, Tex, and I ask myself....
Does it really matter all that much?
They were given with the kindest of intentions, with affection, so perhaps it would be better to accept them gratefully, and simply use them in the nicest possible way, as you see fit...
After all, everything falls away.....

Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

Fede, I don't disagree with you. I am honored that someone thinks enough of me that they made the effort to gift me something "Buddhisty". But it does put me in an awkward position: telling the person Hotei is not really Buddha would feel ungrateful and might embarrass the giver, but not saying something perpetuates misconceptions.

Mahayana art is often very beautiful. If it were me, I'd keep the calendar or regift it to someone.
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
dspiewak

Post by dspiewak »

Perhaps re-christen the statue as a monument to kalyanamittata? I think the intention was a very noble one, and I would be touched if someone did that for me.

FYI I actually know a Theravada bhante who displays a Hotei statue in an office at the monks' residence. It inspired a good discussion on Buddhahood and future Buddhas.