When is DhammaWheel's birthday?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
zavk

When is DhammaWheel's birthday?

Post by zavk »

When is DW celebrating its first birthday? It should be coming up in the next day or two right?

I think we should all do something to commemorate the event. I'd happily eat a slice or two (or maybe more) of cake on its behalf! :tongue:
With metta,
zavk
DNS
Site Admin

Re: When is DhammaWheel's birthday?

Post by DNS »

It first went online on about December 30, 2008, but it took a couple of days before we could send out invitations to the people we knew, so we could officially say it was about:

January 1, 2009

(easier to remember that way. :tongue: )
zavk

Post by zavk »

Woo hoo! Big celebration for DW then!
With metta,
zavk
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

I must of been premature! I arrived on the 30th :tongue:
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Manapa, Zavk, all
Yes, we're both premature!

I like the idea of doing something to commemorate our first birthday. The fact that we're now over 1,000 members and nearly 50,000 posts is a significant achievement considering the conditions that lead to Dhamma Wheel's birth and that we seem to be going from strength to strength, unlike the trend of so many other Buddhist discussion fora. As I have said numerous times it is my conviction that the success of Dhamma Wheel is due in very large measure to our members. I feel a great debt of gratitude to our members who, through joining in discussion and contributing here at Dhamma Wheel, have made it what it is.
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

I think I was actually the 5th member here? but looks like the third now

just looked at my first post here and forgot what I put orange mocha latte frapichino anyone!
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Dugu

Post by Dugu »

David N. Snyder wrote:It first went online on about December 30, 2008, but it took a couple of days before we could send out invitations to the people we knew, so we could officially say it was about:

January 1, 2009

(easier to remember that way. :tongue: )
In that case, Dec 30, 2008 would have to be the real birthdate. "Went online" is equivalent to being born. ;)

So Happy Birthday Dharma Wheel! :heart:
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

Here's to a safe harbour on otherwise stormy seas. All gratitude to Dr. David and a cast of great moderators!
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710