Insight knowledge is non-conceptual knowledge. Right?

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
smokey

Re: Insight knowledge is non-conceptual knowledge. Right?

Post by smokey »

dhamma follower wrote:
smokey wrote:As I came to understand a long time ago that insight knowledge or ultimate truth is a non-conceptual knowledge. I have not gained any insight knowledge so far but I presume that my previous statement is correct. Right?
In my understanding, proper insight happens before it turns into concepts. In the process of understanding, there's first a moment of direct knowing - this happens without thoughts, in a cristal clear flashlike mind moment, then it is followed by verbal process. Actually, this is happening all the time, but with ordinary level of awareness, we can not clearly see the moment of direct knowing. When mindfulness becomes sharper (and lobha, dosa moha reduced), the whole process can be witnessed with clarity. So, i would divide insight knowledge into two parts: one non conceptual, which is direct knowing -insight, followed by part 2 which is conceptual- knowledge, with thoughts and concepts as we know them.
The stronger the insight is, the more the non-conceptual part is clear, and the greater the effect it has on our way of understanding reality and subsequent changes in mind states and behaviours.

I don't know if the above is backed up by any canonical texts, but has been confirmed by teacher U Tejaniya in Shwe OO Min center, Burma.

Hope it helps,
D.F.
Dhamma Follower, thank you, this explanation certainly helped.