[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Dhamma Wheel • View topic - Describe Meditation in one sentence

Describe Meditation in one sentence

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

Describe Meditation in one sentence

Postby Laurens » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:12 pm

Like the other topic.

Okay here's my attempt:

Back to the present ;)
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

Carl Sagan
Laurens

Re: Describe Meditation in one sentence

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:54 pm

“Be mindful of each and every mental and physical phenomenon throughout the entire day, without a break.” (Chanmyay Sayādaw U Janaka)
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:50 am

Something I should do more of ;)

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Laurens » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:57 am

retrofuturist wrote:Something I should do more of ;)

Metta,
Retro. :)

I can relate to that one very much!
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

Carl Sagan
Laurens

Postby Cittasanto » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:07 am

one word
LIFE
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby Guy » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:30 am

Meditation is the practice of turning the lights on.
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
Guy

Postby Kenshou » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:06 am

P'raps I've been reading too much Ajahn Brahm but "letting go" is the first thing to come to my mind.
Kenshou

Postby Guy » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:06 am

Since someone has mentioned Ajahn Brahm I thought I would share this talk which made a lot of sense to me: http://www.bswa.org/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?cid=75&lid=899 on the subject of non-measuring. He uses the simile of being a passenger instead of a backseat driver.

Ajahn Brahm has a few good one sentence summaries of meditation, two that stay in my mind are:

"Open the door of your heart to whatever you're experiencing."
"Make peace with the present moment."

All the same principles really.
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
Guy

Postby Reductor » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:29 am

Stay... stay.. easy does it now.
Michael

The thoughts I've expressed in the above post are carefully considered and offered in good faith.

And friendliness towards the world is happiness for him who is forbearing with living beings. -- Ud. 2:1
To his own ruin the fool gains knowledge, for it cleaves his head and destroys his innate goodness. -- Dhp 72

Reductor

Postby Jechbi » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:52 am

One mistake after another.

(to steal a line from Zen)

;)
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
Jechbi

Postby Laurens » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:52 am

Laurens wrote:Back to the present ;)

I just realised, this could be a trilogy of movies!

Carl Sagan
Laurens

Postby PeterB » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:16 am

Without wanting to be a killjoy I rather think that these "in one sentence threads are more fun than of great usefulness, its a bit like instant mash potato.. :smile: Having said that, one definition I liked was " a condition of awareness characterised by a constant flow of positive mental states ".
PeterB

Postby Collective » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:05 am

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:“Be mindful of each and every mental and physical phenomenon throughout the entire day, without a break.” (Chanmyay Sayādaw U Janaka)

What then does this achieve?
Collective

Postby tiltbillings » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:13 am

Collective wrote:
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:“Be mindful of each and every mental and physical phenomenon throughout the entire day, without a break.” (Chanmyay Sayādaw U Janaka)

increased concentration, mindfulness and insight.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

dheamhan a fhios agam

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby Laurens » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:19 am

PeterB wrote:Without wanting to be a killjoy I rather think that these "in one sentence threads are more fun than of great usefulness, its a bit like instant mash potato.. :smile: Having said that, one definition I liked was " a condition of awareness characterised by a constant flow of positive mental states ".

I hear you, but a bit of fun never hurt no one, if someone wants detailed instructions they can buy a book or visit a teacher :tongue:

Carl Sagan
Laurens

Postby catmoon » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:46 pm

How about one line? There's an old quote from a farmer

"Sometimes I sits and thinks. Sometimes I just sits."
catmoon

Postby Cafael Dust » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:31 pm

Not turning away.
Not twice, not three times, not once,
the wheel is turning.
Cafael Dust

Postby cooran » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:51 pm

tiltbillings wrote:
Collective wrote:

increased concentration, mindfulness and insight.

Yeah ~ you know .... exactly what the Buddha taught.
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby Karma Dondrup Tashi » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:17 pm

"Please don't meditate".
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Postby Kokoro » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:45 pm

"The Optimization of the Mind."
Kokoro

Next

Return to Theravada Meditation