Question about Dhammapada verse 89

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
bodom

Question about Dhammapada verse 89

Post by bodom »

I am currently studying John Ross Carters Dhammapada translation. In verse 89 which reads:

Whose mind is fully well cultivated in the factors of
enlightenment,
Who, without clinging, delight in the rejection of grasping,
Lustrous ones, who have destroyed intoxicants,
They have, in (this) world, attained Nibaana.

In the line by line translation there is a note to the last verse:

They have, in (this) world, attained Nibbana

which reads:

In this world of khandas, and so forth, they have entered into Nibbana fully-that is, (1) "with substrata remaining" from the time of attaining Arahantship, on account of having exhausted the whirl of defilements; and (2) "without substrata remaining" at the cessation of the final (flicker of) thought, (at the end of life), on account of having exhausted the whirl of the khandas. Thus they have entered Nibbana fully by both (aspects of) Nibbana. The meaning is: (they are) gone to the state of undefinability like (the flame of) a lamp, without fuel.

In this note what does the word "substrata" refer to? I am hoping Venerable Dhammanado or someone well versed can shed some light on this for me. Thanks!

:namaste:
Last edited by bodom on Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
piotr

Re: Question about Dhammapada verse 89

Post by piotr »

Hi,

Take a look at this sutta:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... ml#iti-044" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bhagavaṃmūlakā no, bhante, dhammā...
bodom

Post by bodom »

Let me see if i get this. So the "substrata" (carters translation) and "fuel" (Thanissaro's translation) refer to the five aggregates. In the first case - "with substrata remaining" from the time of attaining Arahantship, on account of having exhausted the whirl of defilements; means that the "fires" of greed, hatred and delusion are absent while the khandas are still present. In the second case "without substrata remaining" at the cessation of the final (flicker of) thought, (at the end of life), on account of having exhausted the whirl of the khandas; means when the Arahant passes away there is no longer any aggregates here or anywhere else. Am i understanding this correctly?

Last edited by bodom on Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
piotr

Post by piotr »

Hi,

Yes, I think so. Except that the first case is called "with substrata/fuel remaining" :smile:
Bhagavaṃmūlakā no, bhante, dhammā...
bodom

Post by bodom »

Yes you are absolutely right. I misprinted the first sentence. Thats what was throwing me off. Thank you!

- BB
Jason

Post by Jason »

For further reference, you may want to compare that translation with Daw Mya Tin's translation w/commentary.
"Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya" (AN 7.58).

leaves in the hand (Buddhist-related blog)
leaves in the forest (non-Buddhist related blog)
bodom

Post by bodom »

Elohim wrote:For further reference, you may want to compare that translation with Daw Mya Tin's translation w/commentary.
Thank you for the link Elohim.

- BB