Good printed translation?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Reductor

Good printed translation?

Post by Reductor »

I've been looking at "the group of discourses" by K.R Norman as put out by the PTS. This is the 2001 edition.
Has anyone got an opinion on its quality -- fidelity to the texts meaning is of primacy. Oops. Stating the obvious again.

Also wondering if there is a good translation of the Udana out there. I was thinking of the Udana and Itivuttaka one by J. Ireland, but that is really expensive and I'm ok with the Itivuttaka as put out by Than. So, mostly I'm interested in the Udana.

And lastly: when the heck is Bodhi gonna finish the Anguttara Nikaya? Is there any rumor?

As you might fathom, I am intent on having a paper collection of the sutta pitaka. I have a strong preference for the old medium. :tongue:

Goodness, maybe I should just learn Pali :thinking: Actually, I think I ought to. But I'm spreading myself thin already.

Thanks.
tiltbillings

Re: Good printed translation?

Post by tiltbillings »

thereductor wrote:I've been looking at "the group of discourses" by K.R Norman as put out by the PTS. This is the 2001 edition.
Has anyone got an opinion on its quality -- fidelity to the texts meaning is of primacy. Oops. Stating the obvious again.
Norman is one of the foremost Pali scholars. That translation also has alternate reading of some verses by I.B. Horner and Ven W. Rahula. It is veery much worth having.
Also wondering if there is a good translation of the Udana out there. I was thinking of the Udana and Itivuttaka one by J. Ireland, but that is really expensive and I'm ok with the Itivuttaka as put out by Than. So, mostly I'm interested in the Udana.
http://www.pariyatti.org/Bookstore/prod ... cfm?PC=524" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It less than $20.00US.

Goodness, maybe I should just learn Pali Actually, I think I ought to. But I'm spreading myself thin already.
Do any other language work? It is worth the effort.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
cooran

Post by cooran »

wondering if there is a good translation of the Udana out there. I was thinking of the Udana and Itivuttaka one by J. Ireland, but that is really expensive
At the BPS it is only $US8.00 (plus postage) ~ which seems very reasonable for a book of 258 pages.
http://www.bps.lk/the_udana.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Top recommendation by Chris... I also think John Ireland translates it very well, and I feel his translations are generally better than Thanissaro Bhikkhu's.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

The Discourse Collection
Selected Texts from the Suttanipāta
Translated by
John D. Ireland

http://www.bps.lk/new_wheels_library/wh082.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Saṃyutta Nikāya
An Anthology
Part I
by
John D. Ireland
http://www.bps.lk/new_wheels_library/wh107.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sayutta Nikāya
An Anthology: Part II
by
Bhikkhu Ñānananda
http://www.bps.lk/new_wheels_library/wh183.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This worth, not just for the translation, but also for the excellent footnotes

Alot more texts:
http://www.bps.lk/onlinelibrary_wheels.asp#whtranspali" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Reductor

Post by Reductor »

Chris and Tilt:

Thank you for the prompt replies. I looked up that one by Ireland up on amazon (canada) and it was listed for 150 bucks or there about. The local book store usually sells for more, so I didn't check with them. Don't I look a little silly. :tongue:

Much appreciation.
bodom

Post by bodom »

Numerical Discourses of the Buddha: An Anthology of Suttas from the Anguttara Nikaya by Bhikkhu Bodhi available from amazon.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

bodom_bad_boy wrote:Numerical Discourses of the Buddha: An Anthology of Suttas from the Anguttara Nikaya by Bhikkhu Bodhi available from amazon.

:anjali:

I've thought about that one because I've read that it is a very good collection, but have decided to wait for the big one from Bodhi... although I have wondered just how long I'm going to have to wait.

I've got the other big two from him and would like consistency.

Thanks though for the suggestion.
seanpdx

Post by seanpdx »

thereductor wrote:I've been looking at "the group of discourses" by K.R Norman as put out by the PTS. This is the 2001 edition.
As tilt mentioned, Norman is one of the best pali scholars around. I have this, and another print translation of the suttanipata. This is always the first translation to which I refer, and unless I'm interested in being particularly meticulous, it's the only thing to which I refer.
And lastly: when the heck is Bodhi gonna finish the Anguttara Nikaya? Is there any rumor?
I've heard nothing other than it was "forthcoming". I'm eagerly awaiting it, hoping it's not vaporware.
As you might fathom, I am intent on having a paper collection of the sutta pitaka. I have a strong preference for the old medium. :tongue:
I'm right there with you. I have a lot of printouts from stuff I only have electronically, just so I have something I can hold and peruse. =D
Goodness, maybe I should just learn Pali :thinking: Actually, I think I ought to. But I'm spreading myself thin already.
*grin* It's a very worthwhile endeavour!
Kare

Post by Kare »

thereductor wrote: And lastly: when the heck is Bodhi gonna finish the Anguttara Nikaya? Is there any rumor?
I've read 'two years', but that is just a rumor. As rumors go, I really prefer Paul Creston ... ;)

Two years ... ample time to read it in Pali in the meantime. :)

Yes, we Theravadins should stick to the old medium. Pass me another palm leaf, please ... :D

Thanks.
Good luck with your Pali!
Mettāya,
Kåre
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Kare wrote:
Yes, we Theravadins should stick to the old medium. Pass me another palm leaf, please ... :D
I shun your new dangled palm leaf and ask for a recitation daily!
:tongue:
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Kare

Post by Kare »

Manapa wrote:
Kare wrote:
I shun your new dangled palm leaf and ask for a recitation daily!
:tongue:
BTW, as everyone knows, there are lots of repetition in the Pali texts. Whole paragraphs and pages are repeated verbatim, again and again.

After thorough research, I have found how this happened. As you know, the monks who wrote down the suttas, had no PCs (Personal Computers). But they of course had BCs (Buddhist Computers) where they typed in the texts as they had heard them. Then they hit the Print button, and the palm leaf printer (also called a Palm Device) started turning out pages. But by mistake they also hit the Repeat button, and while they were sitting in deep meditation, the palm leaf printers turned out leaf after identical leaf .. for hours. When the venerable monks came out of their jhanas and saw the mistake, they just shrugged, saying: "Too bad to let all this be wasted ..." and bunched the whole lot together. And that is how the first edition of Tipitaka was created ...
Mettāya,
Kåre
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

In the begining before the BC was invented, the monks had to use something similar to a type writer unfortunately involved a walkman or WalkBhikkhu as their tech was made elsewhere specially, and a piece of 2x4 the Abbot used to smooth out errors in the play back, the monks thus decided that they needed a more accurate and less painful way to record the texts, and that was the invention of the Buddhist computer.

ok not as good as kares but I had a go
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
seanpdx

Post by seanpdx »

Kare wrote: BTW, as everyone knows, there are lots of repetition in the Pali texts. Whole paragraphs and pages are repeated verbatim, again and again.

After thorough research, I have found how this happened. As you know, the monks who wrote down the suttas, had no PCs (Personal Computers). But they of course had BCs (Buddhist Computers) where they typed in the texts as they had heard them. Then they hit the Print button, and the palm leaf printer (also called a Palm Device) started turning out pages. But by mistake they also hit the Repeat button, and while they were sitting in deep meditation, the palm leaf printers turned out leaf after identical leaf .. for hours. When the venerable monks came out of their jhanas and saw the mistake, they just shrugged, saying: "Too bad to let all this be wasted ..." and bunched the whole lot together. And that is how the first edition of Tipitaka was created ...
Bravissimo! :clap: