Does Buddhism mean we "become" more 'feminine'?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
bodom

Re: Does Buddhism mean we "become" more 'feminine'?

Post by bodom »

Thats right david he did but also said... There are five ideas that ripen here and now in two ways. What five? Faith, preference, hearsay-learning, arguing upon evidence, and liking through pondering a view. Now something may have faith well placed in it and yet be hollow, empty, and false; and again something may have no faith placed in it and yet be factual, true, and no other than it seems; and so with preference and the rest. If a man has faith, then he guards truth when he says, "My faith is thus," but on that account draws no unreserved conclusion, "Only this is true, the other is wrong." In this way he guards the truth; but there is as yet no discovery of truth. And so with preference and the rest.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

bodom_bad_boy wrote:
Annabel wrote:
bodom_bad_boy wrote:I am starting to see a trend here with your posting. The first concerning women's superiority to men and now that Buddhism is superior to other religions.

"Women's superiority to men" is a fabrication of your mind, and a projection onto me, you are interpreting my words in a false way.

I certainly don't think that way and never have.

I suggest you take back your projections onto me.

While pointing at me, you have 3 fingers pointing back at yourself.

I do think however that Buddhism is superior to other religions.

If you don't think Buddhism is the right path, what are you doing here...?
You have clearly made my point yourself.

You have no point about me and are avoiding my question.
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

Its not so much that Buddhism is superior to religions imo. Its that Buddhism is the only place in this world system to connect with Buddhadhamma.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

I don't remember the exact quote off-hand, but the Buddha stated that any teachings that acknowledge the 4NT & 8FP and deliver one from suffering to freedom, are worthy of praise.

But there is also this, which is pretty much limited and only found in the Buddha's teachings:
This is the only way, monks, for the purification of beings, for the overcoming of sorrow and lamentation, for the destruction of suffering and grief, for reaching the right path, for the attainment of Nibbana, namely, the four foundations of mindfulness. What are the four?
Nyanasatta Thera, trans., also Soma Thera, trans.

There is this alternative, perhaps pc translation by Thanissaro Bhikkhu:
The Blessed One said this: "This is the direct path for the purification of beings, for the overcoming of sorrow & lamentation, for the disappearance of pain & distress, for the attainment of the right method, & for the realization of Unbinding — in other words, the four frames of reference. Which four?
:focus:

Perhaps this choosing of Buddhism as our Path and any competitiveness that we might accidentally do, is mostly associated with masculine traits?
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

Not sure what you mean there David.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

In the Satipatthana Sutta the Buddha states:

"This is the only way . . ."

implying that all paths "don't lead to the mountaintop." But in Thanissaro's translation, it is put as:

"This is the direct path . . ."

Anyone from any religion can get to heaven, but there is a specific path to Nibbana.

(MN 10)
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi David,
This is the only way & direct path are referring to the eightfold path, the Buddha uses this phrase a number of times in the suttas and is always referring to the 8FP when he does. Ajahn Brahm (off the top of my head) in his newsletter paper on satipatthana has a couple of references to other places this is used, although I disagree with his interpretation of two of the suttas he uses to back up one of his interpretation later in the paper.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
bodom

Post by bodom »

Anabel if you are asking why i am here it is because i have taken refuge in the Buddha and his teachings, but because i choose the path of Buddhism does not mean i am at liberty to tell a billion followers of Christanity and Islam that there religion is wrong or not as peaceful as mine (mine is better than yours ) because there history has been marred by some unfortunate events.

Last edited by bodom on Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
bodom

Post by bodom »

David N. Snyder wrote:In the Satipatthana Sutta the Buddha states:

"This is the only way . . ."

implying that all paths "don't lead to the mountaintop." But in Thanissaro's translation, it is put as:

"This is the direct path . . ."

Anyone from any religion can get to heaven, but there is a specific path to Nibbana.

(MN 10)
I highly suggest reading Analayo's Satipattana: The direct path to realization as he discusses this passage, its implications and other uses in the canon at some length.

- BB
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

bodom_bad_boy wrote:Anabel if you are asking why i am here it is because i have taken refuge in the Buddha and his teachings, but because i choose the path of Buddhism does not mean i am at liberty to tell a billion followers of Christanity and Islam that there religion is wrong or not as peaceful as mine.

Fair enough... I understand and respect that, but are you really talking to 1 billion of them right now, or just to us?

The Buddha spoke to his followers about wrong view. ..
bodom

Post by bodom »

Well then just between us i still find no fault with followers of other religions. Ajahn Chah spoke on christianity and said he sees basically no difference between it and Buddhism (not withstanding some differences of course) they both teach to do good and avoid evil he said. Christians and muslims practice to reach heaven. The buddha taught of wrong view but he also taught of making merit to gain a good heavenly rebirth as a worthwhile goal for householders.

- BB
chownah

Post by chownah »

Annabel wrote:
chownah wrote:Men in general wear pants more and women tend to wear skirts more so does this mean that women who wear pants are getting in touch with their masculine sides and the men in Burma who wear skirts are getting in touch with their feminine sides?

Men in general have more facial hair while women generally have a higher percentage of body fat....does this mean that women with facial hair are more in touch with their masculine side and fat men are more in touch with their femine side?

Men in general have A and women in general have B so does this mean that if women have A etc. and if men have B etc.?

chownah
Thanks for making fun of the topic.
I was not making fun of the topic. This was meant to show that the main point of logic (as i see it) underpinning this topic is perhaps not very sound.
chownah
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Glad you added a perhaps. :sage:

I'm frustrated with the topic anyhow. Discuss without me.... :toilet:

I don't enjoy the misunderstandings.
Calahand

Post by Calahand »

Annabel wrote:It just crossed my mind.

In case we agree, that men in general, -with the exception of those Buddhist males who read this, of course,- tend to be more aggressive, tend to become physically violent more often , abusive, are more forceful, and women tend to be softer, more actively compassionate than men, then isn't a lot of spiritual cultivation about developing a bit more of the 'female' side in ourselves, the softer and more sensitive side?
Hi Annabel, your argument doesn't hold up to scrutiny and is unfortunately stereotypically sexist, because I could take the same argument and turn it around and present it to you like this:
"In case we agree, that women in general, -with the exception of those buddhist females who read this, ofcourse - tend to be more jealous, tend to become mentally cruel more often, verbally abusive, are more manipulative, and men tend to be more straightforward, more free with their friendships and have more comradery, then isn't a lot of spiritual cultivation about developing a bit more band of brothers attitude like how men show to each other?. "

As you can see, this counter-argument is also unfortunately stereotypically sexist and doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

I hope you see how you are mistaken here. Being "sensitive" to other's feelings is not something exclusively female. Some of the most compassionate, caring and nurturing people on this planet are men and that doesn't mean they are acting like women, it just means that they are men who are acting like compassionate beings.

much metta,
-Calahand.