Dhamma Wheel members online "bomb"

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
tiltbillings

Re: Dhamma Wheel members online "bomb"

Post by tiltbillings »

Indeed, thanks very much.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

thanks david, and also thanks retro, tilt and ben for being such great mods
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Ben wrote:Oh no no no no!
Thank you David for Dhamma Wheel!
:embarassed:

This should be a direct link to the video above if anyone wants to rate it or post a comment there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D8FIV7j ... r_embedded" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

over 1,000 members
almost 50,000 posts
80 people online at one time today!

Great DW birthday !

:woohoo:
christopher:::

Post by christopher::: »

Great work guys. Happy Birthday ((Dhamma Wheel)) and Happy New Year to us all..!!

:clap:
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Thanks from me as well.

I hope I will soon be able to watch the video.

No speakers.
cooran

Post by cooran »

Thanks to the Admins and all the Staff of Dhamma Wheel
A great place to connect to everyday. :twothumbsup:

hey Ben! loved the video :clap:

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Sorry I couldn't make it to the member bomb, had work.

Anyway thank you David and Retro, so very very much for all that you have done for us, I really mean it. Thank you Ven. Dhammanando, Ben and Tilt Billings for all your hard work in maintaining DW as a great place for discussion of the Dhamma. Thank you to all the members whom have helped to deepen my understanding of the Buddha Dhamma.

Truely I am indebted to you all for you kindness and compassion, your friendliness and you wisdom. Wherever I go in life (and I suspect for a long time it will be nowhere near a computer) I will carry these fond memories with me.

May we all realize the Dhamma
May Dhamma wheel continue to flourish

Metta
Jack :heart:

p.s. Great video Ben!
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
notself

Post by notself »

Happy New Year to all of us. :woohoo:
Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he is indeed the noblest victor who conquers himself. ---Dhp 103
Vardali

Post by Vardali »

Lovelymessage, Ben & Quinn :D

I would like to echo the sentiment of gratitude already expressed here and wishing you - and us - all the best for this new year :)
:anjali:
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

Dhammawheel is such a great place with so many wonderful beings! I don't really know what to say....
Thank you all for making Dhammawheel to one of the best places for learning, practicing and discussing the unsurpassable Dhamma online! :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :twothumbsup:

I bow with great respect for you all! :bow:

best wishes, acinteyyo and a happy new year 2010
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
Fede

Post by Fede »

I get a message flashing;
"Caution: This man is wanted in 48 states of Australia, simply because he really should'n be confined to such a small Island: I mean, they have devils there, what they done to deserve him? He is a distinct individual, and should be approached with caution:
he has rapier wit, cutting-edge knowledge of the Dhamma and a sharp mind, not to mention being a mean hand with a bow and arrow. if you meet him, do yourself a favour: Stand behind him."

Anyone know anything about this? :tongue:

Love him to bits.

He's been a solid, supportive and generous friend to me, and (together with the rest of the team, Bless them!) is a real jewel in anybody's friend-box.
With an online community like this one guys, and with mutual support, Loving Kindness and companionship, it's the place to be, in twenty-ten...and onwards.....
Much metta amd Karuna to all...
Ben, Paul, Ven. Appichatto, Ven Dhammanando -
Thank you for everything.
:namaste:
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Ben wrote:
Just seen this video!
Love it
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

What did he say? (Ben) :?
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Annabel
Thanks for your kind comments!
I had a good laugh too! Wanted in 48 states? Hilarious!
Yes, we have devils down here in Tasmania and on the news tonight a group of scientists announced a major break through on working on a cure for the facial tumour disease which is threatening the devils with extinction.

If you didn't hear the audio, below is the message that I read to camera. Im a terrible public speaker and I have to rely on notes or a script to ensure I get my message across. While I love writing, speaking coherently is something that I struggle with.
So here's the text that i read in the video message:
Hi everyone
My name is Ben O’Loughlin, and this is Quinn. You know me as ‘Ben’ one of the moderators at Dhamma Wheel. This being the event of the anniversary of the establishment of Dhamma Wheel, I thought it best to say a few words.

Firstly, I would like you to join me in congratuting and expressing gratitutde to David Snyder and Retro for establishing Dhamma Wheel just over a year ago to be a safe place for the discussion of the Theravada. Dhamma Wheel was born from some very traumatic experiences at e-sangha just over a year ago and since our inception, Dhamma Wheel has gone from strength to strength. I would also like to acknowledge the efforts of the administrators and my colleagues Ajahn Dhammanando and Tiltbillings in working tirelessly to ensure that Dhamma Wheel remains a vibrant, respectful and friendly environment for the discussion of the Dhamma.
Lastly, and on behalf of the administrators and my moderator colleagues, I would like to say thank you to you, our members. I might sound like a broken record but it is my firm contention that it is our members who make Dhamma Wheel what it is. Without your deep love and interest in the Dhamma, then Dhamma Wheel would have gone the way of so many other Buddhist discussion boards. By continuing to contribute to Dhamma Wheel, you help to illuminate the path for those new to the Buddhadhamma and those who maybe interested in testing the waters.

On behalf of the administrators and moderators of Dhamma Wheel, I wish you a happy new year. May you grow in your practice. May you and your loved ones be at peace, be free from disease and become liberated.

May you all be happy!
Metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Wow, Ben, and that's on YouTube?

Congratulations to such a wonderful message!

I saw a lot of guests on-line today, so maybe this was helpful for some people to find us!

By mere coincidence (or not?) I zapped myself briefly into a documentary about Tasmania yesterday, and thought: Oh look, so this is where Ben lives....!

They showed the little black devils and talked about the catching tumur. What a pity. I couldn't watch all of it, but they spoke about the intact nature and I saw some beautiful scenic views Perhaps it gets repeated today, and I can watch more...

And: Honor to whom honor belongs: Fede wrote the witty post, but I wholeheartedly agree !! :woohoo:

Happy new Year!

Anna