Buddhadassa missing in action

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Buddhadassa missing in action

Postby bodom » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:03 pm

I just noticed there is no mention of Buddhadassa throughout the whole Access to insight site, one of the biggest Theravadin resource sites available. Hmm? He was one of the most influential Theravadin teachers in the last century. There are hundreds of articles and none containing his works. Strange.

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Re: Buddhadassa missing in action

Postby mikenz66 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:28 pm

Hi BBB,

It looks like they used to have a couple of his books there. See: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/news/news9612.html
Perhaps the people at Suan Mokkh wanted to host those.

Remember that Access to Insight is just one web site, which features lots of translations, books, and articles by Thanissaro Bhikkhu, plus a selection of other articles and books from various authors.

There isn't much by a large number of other very prominent figures. Only three books/articles by Mahasi Sayadaw, nothing by U Pandita, nothing by Goenka, one by Ven Gunaratanara. But, as with Ajahn Buddhadasa, there are plenty of resources elsewhere on those people...

Metta
Mike
mikenz66

Postby bodom » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:40 pm

Thanks for the post mike. Yes you are right now that i really look there is quite a few prominent teachers missing. I thought ATI was primarily concerned with thai Theravadin Buddhism and thought the absence of Buddhadasa was strange. Thanks for pointing this out.

Last edited by bodom on Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby Cittasanto » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:44 pm

bodom_bad_boy wrote:Thanks for the post mike. Yes you are right now that i really look there is quite a few prominent teachers missing. I thought ATO was primarily concerned with thai Theravadin Buddhism and thought the absence of Buddhadasa was strange. Thanks for pointing this out.

I believe he only posts what he has found useful I know this is applicable to the suttas but don't know about books.
it isn't suppost to be a comprehensive site so, and he does seek permission to publish the works on offer so maybe he was refused or decided against allowing the work to be published there?
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby bodom » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:47 pm

Manapa thank you for clearing that up. I was unaware it was one man running the site.

bodom

Postby Cittasanto » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:15 pm

yeah its John Bullitt - may of spelt that incorrectly though
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby Fede » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:56 am

Manapa wrote:yeah its John Bullitt - may of spelt that incorrectly though

" - may have spelt that....." :oops: :shock:

*(Hides behind laptop.... :shock: )*
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/
Fede

Postby cooran » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:07 am

bodom wrote:Manapa thank you for clearing that up. I was unaware it was one man running the site.

Hello BBB,

John T. Bullitt runs Access to Insight as Manapa states.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/faq.html#general

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby Cittasanto » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:23 pm

Fede wrote:
Manapa wrote:yeah its John Bullitt - may of spelt that incorrectly though

" - may have spelt that....." :oops: :shock:

*(Hides behind laptop.... :shock: )*

I do admit my grammar is atrocious!

Prepare for slappy fight :guns:
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Cittasanto

Return to General Theravāda discussion