Buddhadassa missing in action

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
bodom

Buddhadassa missing in action

Post by bodom »

I just noticed there is no mention of Buddhadassa throughout the whole Access to insight site, one of the biggest Theravadin resource sites available. Hmm? He was one of the most influential Theravadin teachers in the last century. There are hundreds of articles and none containing his works. Strange.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
mikenz66

Re: Buddhadassa missing in action

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi BBB,

It looks like they used to have a couple of his books there. See: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/news/news9612.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Perhaps the people at Suan Mokkh wanted to host those.

Remember that Access to Insight is just one web site, which features lots of translations, books, and articles by Thanissaro Bhikkhu, plus a selection of other articles and books from various authors.

There isn't much by a large number of other very prominent figures. Only three books/articles by Mahasi Sayadaw, nothing by U Pandita, nothing by Goenka, one by Ven Gunaratanara. But, as with Ajahn Buddhadasa, there are plenty of resources elsewhere on those people...

Metta
Mike
bodom

Post by bodom »

Thanks for the post mike. Yes you are right now that i really look there is quite a few prominent teachers missing. I thought ATI was primarily concerned with thai Theravadin Buddhism and thought the absence of Buddhadasa was strange. Thanks for pointing this out.

Last edited by bodom on Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

bodom_bad_boy wrote:Thanks for the post mike. Yes you are right now that i really look there is quite a few prominent teachers missing. I thought ATO was primarily concerned with thai Theravadin Buddhism and thought the absence of Buddhadasa was strange. Thanks for pointing this out.

I believe he only posts what he has found useful I know this is applicable to the suttas but don't know about books.
it isn't suppost to be a comprehensive site so, and he does seek permission to publish the works on offer so maybe he was refused or decided against allowing the work to be published there?
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
bodom

Post by bodom »

Manapa thank you for clearing that up. I was unaware it was one man running the site.

- BB
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

yeah its John Bullitt - may of spelt that incorrectly though

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Fede

Post by Fede »

Manapa wrote:yeah its John Bullitt - may of spelt that incorrectly though
" - may have spelt that....." :oops: :shock:

*(Hides behind laptop.... :shock: )*
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cooran

Post by cooran »

bodom wrote:Manapa thank you for clearing that up. I was unaware it was one man running the site.

Hello BBB,

John T. Bullitt runs Access to Insight as Manapa states.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/faq.html#general" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Fede wrote:
Manapa wrote:yeah its John Bullitt - may of spelt that incorrectly though
" - may have spelt that....." :oops: :shock:

*(Hides behind laptop.... :shock: )*
I do admit my grammar is atrocious!

Prepare for slappy fight :guns:

John Stuart Mill