need a little help reaching wat pah nanachat

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
uragamuni

need a little help reaching wat pah nanachat

Post by uragamuni »

Hi! First a little context: after much planning and preparation some days ago I sent a letter to the Guest Monk of Wat Pah Nanachat asking to be able to visit them, as instructed in their website. Given how unreliable is our national postal service I decided to send it by FedEx... So far so good.

The problem is: after more than three weeks FedEx has so far failed to deliver the envelope...

They first told me that there wasn't anybody to receive it in the specified address (the one shown in the WPN website). Can that be true...? Anyway, they asked me a phone number to program the delivery and I gave them the one that I found in the website http://www.retreat-infos.de" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;: 045-4000-15, but... they now say that the phone number is incorrect and are asking me a new one.

Sooo: does anybody know the phone number I should give FedEx? Is there any additional directions I should give them?

Thanks in advance,
Mario
appicchato

Re: need a little help reaching wat pah nanachat

Post by appicchato »

Mario,

Planning and preparation...for what?...if you want to stay at WPN, just get yourself a visa and go...if you're earnest, and convey that earnestness to them, they won't turn you away...

I have the same contact information as you so am unable to offer an alternative other than the above...

Wishing you well...
Anders

Post by Anders »

appicchato wrote:Mario,

Planning and preparation...for what?...if you want to stay at WPN, just get yourself a visa and go...if you're earnest, and convey that earnestness to them, they won't turn you away...

I have the same contact information as you so am unable to offer an alternative other than the above...

Wishing you well...
It's been a few years, but I can vouch for the effectiveness of bhante's suggestion from then.
uragamuni

Post by uragamuni »

Wishing you well...
The planning and preparation is not for the journey, but before the journey. I have ongoing responsabilities that I want/have to honor. If I will be away I have to transfer them to others...

Thanks bhante for your answer and the confirmation of the WPN contact info.

Mario

PS: Any additional hint will continue to be greatly appreciated!
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Try contacting one of the forest sangha monestaries http://www.forestsangha.org/
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
uragamuni

Post by uragamuni »

Anders Honore wrote:

Wishing you well...
It's been a few years, but I can vouch for the effectiveness of bhante's suggestion from then.
Yes, I know it is! I'm not bothered by that part (being there, get accepted, etc), in the sense that is totally out of my control. When (or if!) I ever get there, I'll do my best as ever and see what happens... Whatever the outcome, it will be a learning experience. That notwithstanding, I couldn't do it if I don't leave everything arranged here so that I don't disrupt anybody's life. That's what I tried to convey (and failed! :lol:) with the phrase "planning and preparation"...

Thanks Anders for your comment!
uragamuni

Post by uragamuni »

Manapa wrote:Try contacting one of the forest sangha monestaries http://www.forestsangha.org/
Yes, it's good idea! I'll do it right away. Thanks!
uragamuni

Post by uragamuni »

uragamuni wrote:
Manapa wrote:Try contacting one of the forest sangha monestaries http://www.forestsangha.org/
Replying to myself here.

I had no luck... :thinking: From the auto-reply to the mail I sent:

The monastic community will be on silent retreat during the months of
January, February and March.
[...]
Starting from mid-March we will begin to reply to any correspondence,
and taking bookings for overnight guests, from the 1st of April.

Could they at WPN be on retreat too?
Perhaps that's why the courier couldn't deliver the letter nor contact them by phone, isn't it?
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

uragamuni wrote:
uragamuni wrote:
Replying to myself here.

I had no luck... :thinking: From the auto-reply to the mail I sent:

The monastic community will be on silent retreat during the months of
January, February and March.
[...]
Starting from mid-March we will begin to reply to any correspondence,
and taking bookings for overnight guests, from the 1st of April.

Could they at WPN be on retreat too?
Perhaps that's why the courier couldn't deliver the letter nor contact them by phone, isn't it?
Which Monastery did you try?
I know amaravati is on retreat, but I don't think all of them are

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
uragamuni

Post by uragamuni »

Manapa wrote:Which Monastery did you try?
I tried with Amaravati, as you guessed :thumbsup:, and supposed that with the others would be the same. I'll try with another one. Thanks again!
Mario
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

uragamuni wrote:
Manapa wrote:Which Monastery did you try?
I tried with Amaravati, as you guessed :thumbsup:, and supposed that with the others would be the same. I'll try with another one. Thanks again!
Mario
it may depend on how they are set up there are ones all over, so just try each untill you get one.

John Stuart Mill
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

uragamuni wrote:Could they at WPN be on retreat too?
Nay...my understanding is that the WPP branch temples (in England) take the three winter months (as noted) for their 'Vasa' (instead of the 'rainy' months found in Asia) because the weather is inclement then and 'suits' them better (for retreat) at that time...WPN observes their's during late summer and early fall ('monsoon')...
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

if you can't get hold of anyone let me know I have a contact who is at amaravati, on facebook!

possibly your best bet would be to try the Forest Hermitage http://foresthermitage.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or one of the Lay organisations who are based at the monasteries, possibly ALBA
Amaravati Lay Buddhist Association.

John Stuart Mill
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi Bhante
appicchato wrote:
uragamuni wrote:Could they at WPN be on retreat too?
Nay...my understanding is that the WPP branch temples (in England) take the three winter months (as noted) for their 'Vasa' (instead of the 'rainy' months found in Asia) because the weather is inclement then and 'suits' them better (for retreat) at that time...WPN observes their's during late summer and early fall ('monsoon')...
I believed it was just Amaravati & Chithurst who done this, not all.

John Stuart Mill
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello Bhante and Manapa,

Certainly Dhammagiri in Brisbane, which is a WPP branch monastery is not taking these months as Vassa. We're sweltering in summer.

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---