Buddhist Cultural Centre's Bookshop in Sri Lanka

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
retrofuturist

Buddhist Cultural Centre's Bookshop in Sri Lanka

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I just wanted to bring to your attention the...

Buddhist Cultural Centre's Bookshop
http://www.buddhistcc.net/bookshop/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I found this link originally on the Links page of Access To Insight.

I ordered a stack of books from them recently, and found their prices to be really good (even if the postage rates are only so so).

They also have a very diverse and extensive range of books, many I'd never even heard of before. Just be careful when ordering to ensure that you order the books with the EN (English) label... unless you enjoy reading Sinhalese of course.

The prices are in $US, so if your local currency is faring well in comparison to the $US, it might be a good time to invest in some Dhamma Books!

:reading:

Feel free also to share links to other good sources of Dhamma Books!

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
r_w_graves

Re: Buddhist Cultural Centre's Bookshop in Sri Lanka

Post by r_w_graves »

The BuddhistCC is, then, apparently a legitimate enterprise? Their bookstore website refuses to accept two of my assuredly-valid credit cards (via their HSBC connection). In response to my several email queries, BCC has replied to me that the problem is with my credit card and that I should contact my bank. This is simply not the problem. Also, I get error windows (page not available) whenever I try to edit my BCC account information. I was trying to check/correct my account info because the order summary page shows my first/last name without an intervening space. Or, do they perhaps automatically reject US orders? Thanks for any suggestions/help!
Metta,
R W Graves
LauraJ

Post by LauraJ »

Thanks Retro :anjali:
Dharma Wheel
Buddha Blog

Conquer the angry man by love. Conquer the ill-natured man by goodness. Conquer the miser with generosity. Conquer the liar with truth. -The Dhammapada
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
r_w_graves wrote:The BuddhistCC is, then, apparently a legitimate enterprise?
Yes, though I think they've got a thing or two to learn about customer service and website maintenance.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
suanck

Post by suanck »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,
r_w_graves wrote:The BuddhistCC is, then, apparently a legitimate enterprise?
Yes, though I think they've got a thing or two to learn about customer service and website maintenance.
I was there, visiting their office and bookshop in February 2006, during my pilgrimage trip to Sri Lanka. It's a nice place, with many good Buddhist books for sale. At that time, they did not have a website and online ordering facility, so, I can't comment on that. However, I'm sure it's a legitimate enterprise.

Suan
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

Just as a point of interest, I was told by a monk in Sri Lanka that after the Dambulla temple, the BCC is the most active in the ordination and support of bhikkhunis. :clap:
LauraJ

Post by LauraJ »

pilgrim wrote:Just as a point of interest, I was told by a monk in Sri Lanka that after the Dambulla temple, the BCC is the most active in the ordination and support of bhikkhunis. :clap:
That is good to know, thanks :anjali:
Dharma Wheel
Buddha Blog

Conquer the angry man by love. Conquer the ill-natured man by goodness. Conquer the miser with generosity. Conquer the liar with truth. -The Dhammapada
bodom

Post by bodom »

Nice find! Very cheap. They have Analayos book for $3.50! I paid almost 30 US dollars for mine.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

i thought i posted here before... but thanks to reading this thread when it was first new i bought books there

i thank you retro, my wife however does not :tongue:
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
rwgraves

Post by rwgraves »

r_w_graves wrote:The BuddhistCC is, then, apparently a legitimate enterprise? Their bookstore website refuses to accept two of my assuredly-valid credit cards (via their HSBC connection). In response to my several email queries, BCC has replied to me that the problem is with my credit card and that I should contact my bank. This is simply not the problem. Also, I get error windows (page not available) whenever I try to edit my BCC account information. I was trying to check/correct my account info because the order summary page shows my first/last name without an intervening space. Or, do they perhaps automatically reject US orders? Thanks for any suggestions/help!
Metta,
R W Graves
Just a follow-up regarding my BuddhistCC online book ordering problems. After several helpful email exchanges with both the BuddhistCC itself and their HSBC/GlobalPay partners, I have succeeded in ordering some books. Apparently a software change was needed, and that has been accomplished. My thanks to all involved.
Metta,
RWGraves