Taking the plunge

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Dhammabodhi

Re: Taking the plunge

Post by Dhammabodhi »

Whatever the outcome, deep bows to you for taking the plunge. :anjali:

Try to maintain your upekkha, which from your other posts I think you have in copious amounts , and u'll do fine wherever you go. Of course planning and preparation is also important, so do all you can to be well-prepared.

May you find profound and unshakeable peace. :buddha1:

Metta,
Dhammabodhi
"Take rest, take rest."-S.N.Goenka
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Dhammabodhi wrote:...u'll do fine wherever you go.

May you find profound and unshakeable peace. :buddha1:
:thumbsup:
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Jack,

If we're going into advice mode, the advice I would give is to not expect anywhere or anyone to be perfect.

I think that this is especially important if you eventually decide to ordain. I'm not sure if you read Kevin's (he had several different screen names including Alexander) posts on E-Sangha about his ordination, and disrobing, in Thailand (a year ago?). I don't know him at all, but my impression was that he really, really, wanted to be somewhere where all the monks had perfect sila, perfect (corresponding with his opinion) view of the Dhamma, and perfect everything else. That's impossible.

Metta
Mike
puthujjana

Post by puthujjana »

Sādhu, sādhu, sādhu!

:bow:
"Once you understand anatta, then the burden of life is gone. You’ll be at peace with the world. When we see beyond self, we no longer cling to happiness and we can truly be happy."
- Ajahn Chah
Ben

Post by Ben »

My love and good wishes go with you Jack!
May you be successful in your noble endeavours!
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
AdvaitaJ

Post by AdvaitaJ »

Your courage and resolve are both impressive and inspiring.
:anjali:

AdvaitaJ
The birds have vanished down the sky. Now the last cloud drains away.
We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.
Li Bai
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Congratulations ! ! !

I :heart: Sri Lanka

Most of my teachers are from Sri Lanka or have lived in Sri Lanka as monks or nuns
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Thank you all so very much for your kind inspiring words, your caution and your heartfelt and meaningful advice.

Much metta
Jack :heart:
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
Chula

Post by Chula »

All the best Jack! It's inspiring to read what you're doing..

About Sri Lanka, I've heard good things about all three of the monasteries you plan to visit.. I used to go to Mītirigala with my family every year when I was a kid for dāna. I've heard it's quite disorganized now though.

You might want to check out one of a branch of monasteries called Mahamevnāwa (name is harkening back to the golden Anurādhapura age) that I've found quite impressive. They keep to the Vinaya strictly and focus on the Dhamma-Vinaya (and not the Abhidhamma and Atthakatā) - which is something of an anomaly in Sri Lanka. The head monk Kiribathgoda Ñāṇānanda has almost completely translated the Suttapiṭaka to readable Sinhala (the Buddha Jayanti translation was done in the 1950s and is less readable than the Pāḷi since it was done to show "the grandness of the Sinhala language"). These days a lot of young university students are ordaining - there's a training facility in Mātara with over 100+ monks. In all, there are 500+ monks in the tradition.

There are 40+ branches around the country and internationally with headquarters in Polgahawela. You can find more info here:
http://www.buddhavision.com/Mahamewnawa_m_centers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this helps and feel free to PM me if you have any questions about Sri Lanka (I also have plans to go back sometime this year).

Metta
BlackBird wrote: When I arrive in Sri Lanka there are three monasteries I would like to stay at to begin with:
- Na Uyana.
- Mitirigala Nissarana Vanaya (for the Rains retreat, have talked it over with Ven. Dhammajiva Thero).
- Potgulgala (Where Ven. K. Nyanananda thero resides).
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Hey thanks Chula! Sounds good, I'll put it on my list.

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
suanck

Post by suanck »

Sadhu sadhu Sadhu!

I did a pilgrimage tour in Sri Lanka in 2006, visited all major Buddhist historical sites, and I'm very impressed!

Suan.
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello Jack,

Bhante Dhammasiha, Abbot of Dhammagiri, first ordained in Sri Lanka (he came across the Dhammapada when doing research for his PhD in India - he is German).

"He ordained as a Theravada Buddhist monk in Sri Lanka in June 1995, with most Ven. Paṇḍita K. Sri Jinavaṃsa as preceptor. For three years he trained at Nissaraṇa Vana, Meetirigala in Sri Lanka, a forest monastery dedicated to solitary practice of meditation, and meticulous observance of the Theravada Vinaya. His approach to practice was guided by the Suttas of the Pali Canon, and by the example of senior monks like Ven. Ñāṇavimala, Ven. Ñāṇadīpa and Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi."

And Bhikkhu Samahita is in Sri Lanka - maybe worth consulting.

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
yuuki

Post by yuuki »

This is incredibly inspiring to me.

Thank you!
shjohnk

Post by shjohnk »

Hi jack,

Sadhu to you! What an inspiring step! May you make tremendous progress on the path!
I think you have received some great advice here. I only want to add: I think you SHOULD have a go at Sinhala - It will help you understand the culture much better if you can speak the language. It will also enable you to learn Pali much easier. You'll also be accepted more there.
I look forward to hearing more about your preparations in the coming months :bow:

John
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

cooran wrote:And Bhikkhu Samahita is in Sri Lanka - maybe worth consulting.
Excellent idea Jack...if I were asked...