The Validity of Non-Theravada Ordinations Lineages redux

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
tiltbillings

The Validity of Non-Theravada Ordinations Lineages redux

Post by tiltbillings »

Is the Theravada ordination lineage THE only valid lineage extant? If, yes, based upon what?

What basis do non-Theravadion ordination lineages claim validity?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Bankei

Re: The Validity of Non-Theravada Ordinations Lineages redux

Post by Bankei »

Hi Tilt,

Sorry, I didn't see this before asking a similar question here:
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3199" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-----------------------
Bankei
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Tilt,
tiltbillings wrote:What basis do non-Theravadion ordination lineages claim validity?
I suggest it would be a continuous sequence of ordinations, dating back to the Buddha, regardless of sectarian affiliation.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Bankei,
Bankei wrote:Hi Tilt,

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3199" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Actually, you and I asked our questions before Tilt, but I suspect Tilt didn't exclusively want a Classical opinion (hence his choice to discuss this topic in the Dhammic Free-For-All).

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Bankei,
Bankei wrote:Hi Tilt,

Actually, you and I asked our questions before Tilt, but I suspect Tilt didn't exclusively want a Classical opinion (hence his choice to discuss this topic in the Dhammic Free-For-All).

Metta,
Retro.
Bankei's question was put into the classical section frame work: what would be the traditional (sectarian) justification for rejecting (or accepting to some degree or other) other ordination lineages.

This thread would, likely, take a look at the question of ordination lineages in an historical context, which necessarily going to agree with the "classical" position.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

A couple of things that are worth noting about ordination lineages. First is that belonging to an ordination lineage does not necessarily mean one belongs to a specific doctrinal lineage.

Secondly, most splits in ordination lineages were not schisms, but rather happened simply because of distance. There being no central papal-type authority in Buddhism, given the vastness of anciet India where groups are going to be separated from each other, it not surprising that various lineage developed. Also, the differences in the Vinayas are fairly minor, and are certainly not in the major rules.

Who is to say that a particular lineage does not trace itself back to the Buddha?

retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Tilt,
tiltbillings wrote:Secondly, most splits in ordination lineages were not schisms, but rather happened simply because of distance. There being no central papal-type authority in Buddhism, given the vastness of anciet India where groups are going to be separated from each other, it not surprising that various lineage developed. Also, the differences in the Vinayas are fairly minor, and are certainly not in the major rules.
That's a good point. They could hardly log onto the Internet and see some kind of "central repository" for what the current Sutta and Vinaya was at any point in time... and as venerable Huifeng pointed out in another topic, it was early in the dispensation that bhikkhus were sent in different directions on different missions. It would be very naive to think that throughout that process somehow they all kept themselves synchronised with the latest teachings and injunctions of the Buddha. Differences in sutta and vinaya needn't be the result of malicious intent as is sometimes inferred.
tiltbillings wrote:Who is to say that a particular lineage does not trace itself back to the Buddha?
Does anybody say this?

Metta,
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

retrofuturist wrote: .
tiltbillings wrote:Who is to say that a particular lineage does not trace itself back to the Buddha?
Does anybody say this?)
Not that I am aware of, but to claim that a non-Theravadin lineage is not valid one would have to claim that or claim that the lineage in question is completely corrupt.

seanpdx

Post by seanpdx »

tiltbillings wrote:Is the Theravada ordination lineage THE only valid lineage extant?
No
tiltbillings wrote:What basis do non-Theravadion ordination lineages claim validity?
Same basis as the theravadin lineage? =D
Paññāsikhara

Post by Paññāsikhara »

seanpdx wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:Is the Theravada ordination lineage THE only valid lineage extant?
No
Same basis as the theravadin lineage? =D
:goodpost:
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

um isn't at least part of the classical thinking that the other monks aren't monks because of poor grammar? then come some heretical views and what not :tongue:

not to beat a dead horse here but Ven Sujato's sects and sectarianism covers this from the Mahavihara Theravada POV. he also mentions that Dharmagupta (the monk), although not ordained in the Mahavihara lineage was considered a highly respected thera by them (so why all the fuss over his lineage then?), and then there's good old Buddhaghosa ordained in India by who knows what lineage yet still considered Theravada...
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Paññāsikhara

Post by Paññāsikhara »

Even the very issue of whether or not in ancient times bhikkhu/nis could / would travel and practice among a range of different "sects" / "traditions" / "lineages" or not is in dispute.

Many have argued that they did not. But often such arguments have been based on heavily sectarian literature. More broader research suggests that this practice was very common.

In india, I wonder how much Brahmanic ideas of caste influenced such things, the idea of purity through gotra and kula, the idea of purity through ritual - transferred to purity of ordination lineage and purity through ordination rite. I'm going to finish off Bronkhorst's book before going further with this, but the more I look beyond the Buddhist tradition alone, the more I think that there is something in this on a number of fronts.
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

jcsuperstar wrote:(so why all the fuss over his lineage then?),..
No fuss, really. Just a matter of clarification.

chownah

Post by chownah »

tiltbillings wrote:Is the Theravada ordination lineage THE only valid lineage extant? If, yes, based upon what?

We only have the six sense bases from which to make this "validity" determination......and since I guess we can't see, smell, hear, taste, or touch "validity" then I guess it must be one of those "thought" things.......so whatever one comes up with it is just an idea that has popped into someone's head......I guess you could say that "validity" is empty.....except perhaps when they validate my free parking sticker when I make a purchase at one of the stores in town....except for THAT the concept of "validity" is empty....I guess.
chownah
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

chownah wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:Is the Theravada ordination lineage THE only valid lineage extant? If, yes, based upon what?

We only have the six sense bases from which to make this "validity" determination......and since I guess we can't see, smell, hear, taste, or touch "validity" then I guess it must be one of those "thought" things.......so whatever one comes up with it is just an idea that has popped into someone's head......I guess you could say that "validity" is empty.....except perhaps when they validate my free parking sticker when I make a purchase at one of the stores in town....except for THAT the concept of "validity" is empty....I guess.
chownah
Really does not answer the question, does it?