[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 826: preg_replace_callback(): Requires argument 2, 'Resource id #139669889100176', to be a valid callback
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 826: preg_replace_callback(): Requires argument 2, 'Resource id #139669889100176', to be a valid callback
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 826: preg_replace_callback(): Requires argument 2, 'Resource id #139669889100176', to be a valid callback
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 826: preg_replace_callback(): Requires argument 2, 'Resource id #139669889100176', to be a valid callback
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 826: preg_replace_callback(): Requires argument 2, 'Resource id #139669889100176', to be a valid callback
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 826: preg_replace_callback(): Requires argument 2, 'Resource id #139669889100176', to be a valid callback
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 826: preg_replace_callback(): Requires argument 2, 'Resource id #139669889100176', to be a valid callback
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 826: preg_replace_callback(): Requires argument 2, 'Resource id #139669889100176', to be a valid callback
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 826: preg_replace_callback(): Requires argument 2, 'Resource id #139669889100176', to be a valid callback
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 826: preg_replace_callback(): Requires argument 2, 'Resource id #139669889100176', to be a valid callback
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 826: preg_replace_callback(): Requires argument 2, 'Resource id #139669889100176', to be a valid callback
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 826: preg_replace_callback(): Requires argument 2, 'Resource id #139669889100176', to be a valid callback
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
The Western Buddhist Order is now Triratna Buddhist Order - Dhamma Wheel

The Western Buddhist Order is now Triratna Buddhist Order

Theravāda in the 21st century - modern applications of ancient wisdom
User avatar
Prasadachitta
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:52 am
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1
Location: San Francisco (The Mission) Ca USA
Contact:

The Western Buddhist Order is now Triratna Buddhist Order

Postby Prasadachitta » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:02 am

I just thought I would pass the word on to the wider Buddhist community that the Friends of the Western Buddhist Order is now called the Friends of the Triratna Buddhist Order.


Metta

Gabe
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332

User avatar
David N. Snyder
Site Admin
Posts: 8292
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:15 am
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Contact:

Re: The Western Buddhist Order is now Triratna Buddhist Order

Postby David N. Snyder » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:11 am

gabrielbranbury wrote:I just thought I would pass the word on to the wider Buddhist community that the Friends of the Western Buddhist Order is now called the Friends of the Triratna Buddhist Order.


:woohoo:

I never liked the term "Western."

http://dhammawiki.com/index.php?title=Western_Buddhism

User avatar
retrofuturist
Site Admin
Posts: 14814
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:52 pm
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: The Western Buddhist Order is now Triratna Buddhist Order

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:10 am

Greetings Gabriel,

I think that's pretty daring, knowing about their Anglo-centric history and all, to use a non-English word such as "triratna" (three jewels) to identify themselves.

Thanks for letting us know.

IMGP0021_edit.JPG
IMGP0021_edit.JPG (56.52 KiB) Viewed 6758 times


metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)


Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7


Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)

Sanghamitta
Posts: 1614
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:21 am
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6
Location: By the River Thames near London.

Re: The Western Buddhist Order is now Triratna Buddhist Order

Postby Sanghamitta » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:47 am

They actually have a large Indian membership Retro.
I have to admit an interest here, one of my oldest friends is a member, and I know comparisions are odious, but she is one of the finest. wisest. and most dedicated Buddhists I know.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.

User avatar
cooran
Posts: 7802
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:32 pm
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1
Location: Queensland, Australia

Re: The Western Buddhist Order is now Triratna Buddhist Order

Postby cooran » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:52 am

Would the name change be an attempt to move away from the scandals of the past?

FWBO Files
http://www.ex-cult.org/fwbo/fwbofiles.htm

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

User avatar
Prasadachitta
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:52 am
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1
Location: San Francisco (The Mission) Ca USA
Contact:

Re: The Western Buddhist Order is now Triratna Buddhist Order

Postby Prasadachitta » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:43 pm

The reason for the name change was mainly due to a request from Indian Order members. Now the entire order is known by the the same name. Rather in India the name is Triratna Buddha Mahasangha. It was Trilokia Buddha Mahasangha. Apparently the Trilokia part was not well understood beyond Maharastra and the Order is growing all over India. Also their are obvious problems with "western".

Metta

Gabe
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332

User avatar
Cittasanto
Posts: 5876
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:31 pm
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1
Location: Ellan Vannin
Contact:

Re: The Western Buddhist Order is now Triratna Buddhist Order

Postby Cittasanto » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:32 pm

gabrielbranbury wrote:The reason for the name change was mainly due to a request from Indian Order members. Now the entire order is known by the the same name. Rather in India the name is Triratna Buddha Mahasangha. It was Trilokia Buddha Mahasangha. Apparently the Trilokia part was not well understood beyond Maharastra and the Order is growing all over India. Also their are obvious problems with "western".

Metta

Gabe

I was going to ask if that was the Indian branch!
Wonder why they chose that name?
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."

User avatar
Prasadachitta
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:52 am
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1
Location: San Francisco (The Mission) Ca USA
Contact:

Re: The Western Buddhist Order is now Triratna Buddhist Order

Postby Prasadachitta » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:41 pm

Sangharakshita Chose the name. The Indian Order requested that it be changed.
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332

User avatar
Cittasanto
Posts: 5876
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:31 pm
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1
Location: Ellan Vannin
Contact:

Re: The Western Buddhist Order is now Triratna Buddhist Order

Postby Cittasanto » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:12 pm

gabrielbranbury wrote:Sangharakshita Chose the name. The Indian Order requested that it be changed.


where did you find this out, I have had a search and don't come up with anything?

it simply looks like business as usual name included from my search?
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."

vira
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:47 pm
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Re: The Western Buddhist Order is now Triratna Buddhist Order

Postby vira » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:54 pm

I am a member of the order, there have been discussions in the order about five years ago, but we didn't come to a conclusion now Sangharakshita was asked to change it by the Indian order wing and made the decision. It just came last night and we haven't had the time to respond yet, so it will take some time before the webpages and stuff will be adjusted.

Take a look here this is a piece of writing from back then:

http://dharmasights.blogspot.com/

User avatar
Cittasanto
Posts: 5876
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:31 pm
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1
Location: Ellan Vannin
Contact:

Re: The Western Buddhist Order is now Triratna Buddhist Order

Postby Cittasanto » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:24 am

Thanks Vira,
and welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

someone is definately on the ball to get the word out so quick, when I done a search this morning, and just before my last post couldn't find anything with the new name, only buddhist order was pulling up FWBO sites.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."

jayarava
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:17 pm
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Re: The Western Buddhist Order is now Triratna Buddhist Order

Postby jayarava » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:02 pm

To further clarify: The name change was announced in an email to Order members on Jan 6th. The Western Buddhist Order is now called the Triratna Buddhist Order. We're not sure what the Friends will be called, though the suggestion is that it simply be the Friends of the Triratna Buddhist Order.

Nothing much has changed internet wise because the people who deal with central websites are, coincidentally, are at the week-long meeting of European Centre Chairs at the moment. Also the centres are autonomous and sometimes things take a while to filter through. Hopefully it won't take as long as changing the name of the order! The article Vira linked to is from 1995, so the discussions have been going on for at least 15 years.

I'm planning a blog for Friday to give my impressions of the change and what it means.

Jayarava
Triratnadharmacārin (Pāli tiratanadhammacārin)

User avatar
Prasadachitta
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:52 am
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1
Location: San Francisco (The Mission) Ca USA
Contact:

Re: The Western Buddhist Order is now Triratna Buddhist Order

Postby Prasadachitta » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:56 pm

Hi all,

Apparently the "Friends of the Western Buddhist Order" is going to be called the "Tiratna Buddhist Community"

This will translate more closely with the name that is used in India.

I think changes on web sites and such will be slow as the "organization" is made up of autonomous non profits all with their own governing councils.


Metta


Gabe
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332

User avatar
BlackBird
Posts: 1861
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:07 pm
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6
Location: New Zealand

Re: The Western Buddhist Order is now Triratna Buddhist Order

Postby BlackBird » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:46 am

I have to ask, and my apologies if I appear blunt, but how many of our members here are members of the Tiratna Buddhist order, formerly Friends of the Western Buddhist order?

If you are a member, what do you have to say about the FWBO cult files that Chris posted above?

metta
Jack :heart:
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

User avatar
Prasadachitta
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:52 am
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1
Location: San Francisco (The Mission) Ca USA
Contact:

Re: The Western Buddhist Order is now Triratna Buddhist Order

Postby Prasadachitta » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:30 am

BlackBird wrote:I have to ask, and my apologies if I appear blunt, but how many of our members here are members of the Tiratna Buddhist order, formerly Friends of the Western Buddhist order?

If you are a member, what do you have to say about the FWBO cult files that Chris posted above?

metta
Jack :heart:


Hi Jack,

I practice with the Triratna Buddhist Community (tying to get used to that :D )

My opinion of the material cited by Chris is that it was written by a person who is not interested in informing readers. On the contrary this material is obviously written by someone who has no problem twisting and distorting in every way possible in order to paint the worst possible image of our community and its founder. While this material might use a certain amount of facts there are certainly many blatant falsities and its author chooses to remain anonymous.

In other words it is blatant propaganda.

The Tiratna Buddhist Community has published a very precise and non antagonistic response which addresses every point in this material.

http://response.fwbo.org/fwbo-files/response.html


I am not a member of the Order but I have asked to be ordained.

Take Care

:thanks: for asking.

Gabe
Last edited by Prasadachitta on Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332

User avatar
Cittasanto
Posts: 5876
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:31 pm
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1
Location: Ellan Vannin
Contact:

Re: The Western Buddhist Order is now Triratna Buddhist Order

Postby Cittasanto » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:24 am

hi jack,
you did ask

If you are a member, what do you have to say about the FWBO cult files that Chris posted above?


there is a whole section on this one topic if I remember correctly
Last edited by Cittasanto on Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."

User avatar
BlackBird
Posts: 1861
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:07 pm
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6
Location: New Zealand

Re: The Western Buddhist Order is now Triratna Buddhist Order

Postby BlackBird » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:38 am

Manapa wrote:
I went to the group while I was in Scotland.
I never understood why the use of an alias would bother them?


Hi Manapa.

Regretfully, I don't understand the question. Or more importantly the context of the question.

metta
Jack :heart:
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

User avatar
BlackBird
Posts: 1861
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:07 pm
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6
Location: New Zealand

Re: The Western Buddhist Order is now Triratna Buddhist Order

Postby BlackBird » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:57 am

gabrielbranbury wrote:
BlackBird wrote:I have to ask, and my apologies if I appear blunt, but how many of our members here are members of the Tiratna Buddhist order, formerly Friends of the Western Buddhist order?

If you are a member, what do you have to say about the FWBO cult files that Chris posted above?

metta
Jack :heart:


Hi Jack,

[snip]

While this material might use a certain amount of facts there are certainly many blatant falsities and its author chooses to remain anonymous.

In other words it is blatant propaganda.


Hi Gabe

Thank you for your response. I wonder if you have seen this article. If not, it's well worth a read (please don't be put off by the title).

metta
Jack :heart:
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

User avatar
Prasadachitta
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:52 am
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1
Location: San Francisco (The Mission) Ca USA
Contact:

Re: The Western Buddhist Order is now Triratna Buddhist Order

Postby Prasadachitta » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:49 am

BlackBird wrote:Hi Gabe

Thank you for your response. I wonder if you have seen this article. If not, it's well worth a read (please don't be put off by the title).

metta
Jack :heart:


Hi Jack,

Thanks for the article. Its Highly editorial but balanced in the sense that it does not seem to step beyond the scope of opinion. While I disagree I can empathize with the point of view of the author. However it is a shame that his position is given within the context of commenting on the fwbo files and the response. Even the author states that....

Of course they draw different conclusions from their contrasting presentations and the response succeeds in showing through textual quotes that Sangharakshita has in places been misinterpreted.


Then while the editorial is meant to be about the fwbo files and the response it goes on to simply express the conclusions of the writer without really commenting further on the topic. I think that if someone wants to express their opinions about Sangharakshita and the Order he founded, it harms their credibility to bring the fwbo files into it at all. There are well grounded reasons for a critical perspective of both, especially if one is a relatively conservative Buddhist.


By the way I am happy to hear about your decision to go forth. May your heart find unshakable happiness.

Gabe
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332

Wakefull
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:59 pm
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Re: The Western Buddhist Order is now Triratna Buddhist Order

Postby Wakefull » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:08 pm

I am a member of the Western Buddhist Order and just wanted to clarify that amongst the Order things are not as clear as they appear on this thread.

Sangharakshita, the founder of the WBO, sent an email out with a new name mentioned in it.

Now some of us believed the email was in effect Sangharakshita changing the name of the Order whilst others amongst us saw it as a suggestion from Sangharakshita - there is still some lack of clarity in this area.

So it is not clear whether or not the name has been changed by sangharakshita and there is debate going on within the Order to this effect. In fact some people are unhappy about Sangharakshita changing the name without consulting the Order first - if this is what has happened...

I would like to make it clear that the Western Buddhist Order is not always of one mind - which to me is not a problem as it is no different to the dynamics we all encounter most days of our lives.

My hope is that the name change takes some time as there is not unity in wanting to adopt this name within the Order and I feel we can use this opportunity to improve how we come to make decisions and understand each other...


Return to “Theravāda for the modern world”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ihrjordan, waryoffolly and 4 guests