The Western Buddhist Order is now Triratna Buddhist Order

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Prasadachitta

The Western Buddhist Order is now Triratna Buddhist Order

Post by Prasadachitta »

I just thought I would pass the word on to the wider Buddhist community that the Friends of the Western Buddhist Order is now called the Friends of the Triratna Buddhist Order.

Metta

Gabe
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332
DNS
Site Admin

Re: The Western Buddhist Order is now Triratna Buddhist Order

Post by DNS »

gabrielbranbury wrote:I just thought I would pass the word on to the wider Buddhist community that the Friends of the Western Buddhist Order is now called the Friends of the Triratna Buddhist Order.
:woohoo:

I never liked the term "Western."

http://dhammawiki.com/index.php?title=Western_Buddhism" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Gabriel,

I think that's pretty daring, knowing about their Anglo-centric history and all, to use a non-English word such as "triratna" (three jewels) to identify themselves.

Thanks for letting us know.
IMGP0021_edit.JPG
IMGP0021_edit.JPG (56.36 KiB) Viewed 10299 times
metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

They actually have a large Indian membership Retro.
I have to admit an interest here, one of my oldest friends is a member, and I know comparisions are odious, but she is one of the finest. wisest. and most dedicated Buddhists I know.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
cooran

Post by cooran »

Would the name change be an attempt to move away from the scandals of the past?

FWBO Files
http://www.ex-cult.org/fwbo/fwbofiles.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Prasadachitta

Post by Prasadachitta »

The reason for the name change was mainly due to a request from Indian Order members. Now the entire order is known by the the same name. Rather in India the name is Triratna Buddha Mahasangha. It was Trilokia Buddha Mahasangha. Apparently the Trilokia part was not well understood beyond Maharastra and the Order is growing all over India. Also their are obvious problems with "western".

Metta

Gabe
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

gabrielbranbury wrote:The reason for the name change was mainly due to a request from Indian Order members. Now the entire order is known by the the same name. Rather in India the name is Triratna Buddha Mahasangha. It was Trilokia Buddha Mahasangha. Apparently the Trilokia part was not well understood beyond Maharastra and the Order is growing all over India. Also their are obvious problems with "western".

Metta

Gabe
I was going to ask if that was the Indian branch!
Wonder why they chose that name?
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Prasadachitta

Post by Prasadachitta »

Sangharakshita Chose the name. The Indian Order requested that it be changed.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

gabrielbranbury wrote:Sangharakshita Chose the name. The Indian Order requested that it be changed.
where did you find this out, I have had a search and don't come up with anything?

it simply looks like business as usual name included from my search?

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
vira

Post by vira »

I am a member of the order, there have been discussions in the order about five years ago, but we didn't come to a conclusion now Sangharakshita was asked to change it by the Indian order wing and made the decision. It just came last night and we haven't had the time to respond yet, so it will take some time before the webpages and stuff will be adjusted.

Take a look here this is a piece of writing from back then:

http://dharmasights.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Thanks Vira,
and welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

someone is definately on the ball to get the word out so quick, when I done a search this morning, and just before my last post couldn't find anything with the new name, only buddhist order was pulling up FWBO sites.

John Stuart Mill
jayarava

Post by jayarava »

To further clarify: The name change was announced in an email to Order members on Jan 6th. The Western Buddhist Order is now called the Triratna Buddhist Order. We're not sure what the Friends will be called, though the suggestion is that it simply be the Friends of the Triratna Buddhist Order.

Nothing much has changed internet wise because the people who deal with central websites are, coincidentally, are at the week-long meeting of European Centre Chairs at the moment. Also the centres are autonomous and sometimes things take a while to filter through. Hopefully it won't take as long as changing the name of the order! The article Vira linked to is from 1995, so the discussions have been going on for at least 15 years.

I'm planning a blog for Friday to give my impressions of the change and what it means.

Jayarava
Triratnadharmacārin (Pāli tiratanadhammacārin)
Prasadachitta

Post by Prasadachitta »

Hi all,

Apparently the "Friends of the Western Buddhist Order" is going to be called the "Tiratna Buddhist Community"

This will translate more closely with the name that is used in India.

I think changes on web sites and such will be slow as the "organization" is made up of autonomous non profits all with their own governing councils.

Metta

Gabe
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

I have to ask, and my apologies if I appear blunt, but how many of our members here are members of the Tiratna Buddhist order, formerly Friends of the Western Buddhist order?

If you are a member, what do you have to say about the FWBO cult files that Chris posted above?

metta
Jack :heart:
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
Prasadachitta

Post by Prasadachitta »

BlackBird wrote:I have to ask, and my apologies if I appear blunt, but how many of our members here are members of the Tiratna Buddhist order, formerly Friends of the Western Buddhist order?

If you are a member, what do you have to say about the FWBO cult files that Chris posted above?

metta
Jack :heart:
Hi Jack,

I practice with the Triratna Buddhist Community (tying to get used to that :D )

My opinion of the material cited by Chris is that it was written by a person who is not interested in informing readers. On the contrary this material is obviously written by someone who has no problem twisting and distorting in every way possible in order to paint the worst possible image of our community and its founder. While this material might use a certain amount of facts there are certainly many blatant falsities and its author chooses to remain anonymous.

In other words it is blatant propaganda.

The Tiratna Buddhist Community has published a very precise and non antagonistic response which addresses every point in this material.

http://response.fwbo.org/fwbo-files/response.html

I am not a member of the Order but I have asked to be ordained.

Take Care

:thanks: for asking.

Gabe
Last edited by Prasadachitta on Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.