Meditation when one has a cold

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Laurens

Meditation when one has a cold

Postby Laurens » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:00 pm

Currently I have a bunged up nose, which makes breathing through my nose difficult at best, and at worst impossible.

What do you advise? Change in technique? Lay off meditation for a while? Or what?
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

Carl Sagan

Cittasanto

Re: Meditation when one has a cold

Postby Cittasanto » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:40 pm

change the point of focus, breath through your mouth or use another area, maybe change the posture to a walking one.
“Mendicants, these two [types of persons] defame the Tathāgata.
(The mendicants asked) What are the two [types of persons]?
(The Lord Buddha responded) The malicious, or the inwardly angry, and the one with (blind) faith or the one who holds things incorrectly.
Mendicants, these two [types of persons] defame the Tathāgata.”
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.
"Others will misconstrue reality based on personal perspectives, firmly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our personal perspectives, nor firmly holding them, but easily discarded."

bodom

Postby bodom » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:55 pm

Walking meditation or focus on abdomen while sitting.

:anjali:
‘To define Buddhism without a lot of words and phrases, we can simply say, “Don’t cling or hold on to anything. Harmonize with actuality, with things just as they are.”’ - Ajahn Chah

seanpdx

Postby seanpdx » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:09 pm

I second Manapa. Try breathing through the mouth, and using the mouth as the focal point of attention instead of the nose.

Return to “General meditation-related issues”