Meditation when one has a cold

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

Meditation when one has a cold

Postby Laurens » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:00 pm

Currently I have a bunged up nose, which makes breathing through my nose difficult at best, and at worst impossible.

What do you advise? Change in technique? Lay off meditation for a while? Or what?
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

Carl Sagan
Laurens

Re: Meditation when one has a cold

Postby Cittasanto » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:40 pm

change the point of focus, breath through your mouth or use another area, maybe change the posture to a walking one.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby bodom » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:55 pm

Walking meditation or focus on abdomen while sitting.

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby seanpdx » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:09 pm

I second Manapa. Try breathing through the mouth, and using the mouth as the focal point of attention instead of the nose.
seanpdx

Return to Theravada Meditation