Endurance

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Thales

Endurance

Post by Thales »

Hello,

Awhile ago I remember reading a sutta on access to insight in which the Buddha sees a monk with his robes torn, lip bloodied, and alms bowl cracked and yells to him "Endure it, brahman!" At least, that's all I remember of it. If anyone can help me find it again I would be grateful. :anjali:
"Just as the ocean has a single taste, the taste of salt, so this Dhamma and Discipline has a single taste, the taste of release."

~Ud 5.5
bodom

Re: Endurance

Post by bodom »

Angulimala sutta:

Then Ven. Angulimala, early in the morning, having put on his robes and carrying his outer robe & bowl, went into Savatthi for alms. Now at that time a clod thrown by one person hit Ven. Angulimala on the body, a stone thrown by another person hit him on the body, and a potsherd thrown by still another person hit him on the body. So Ven. Angulimala — his head broken open and dripping with blood, his bowl broken, and his outer robe ripped to shreds — went to the Blessed One. The Blessed One saw him coming from afar and on seeing him said to him: "Bear with it, brahman! Bear with it! The fruit of the kamma that would have burned you in hell for many years, many hundreds of years, many thousands of years, you are now experiencing in the here-&-now!"

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Thales

Post by Thales »

Thank you sir :anjali:
"Just as the ocean has a single taste, the taste of salt, so this Dhamma and Discipline has a single taste, the taste of release."

~Ud 5.5
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Thank you for this.
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha