Post by Cittasanto »

hi 4 words I can not find a dirrect translation for

Aha¤¤eveko
anatãto,
anatãtà'ti
tassa

any ideas
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
seanpdx

Re: need definitions

Post by seanpdx »

Manapa wrote:hi 4 words I can not find a dirrect translation for

Aha¤¤eveko
anatãto,
anatãtà'ti
tassa

any ideas
tassa is a third-person genitive pronoun.
Where do you find the other three? I don't know what font you're using to display them, but they don't render properly for me. =/
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

seanpdx wrote:

Aha¤¤eveko
anatãto,
anatãtà'ti
tassa

any ideas
Where do you find the other three? I don't know what font you're using to display them, but they don't render properly for me. =/
hi Sean,
that was a direct cut and paste job there but I have had a little play with the character map and think I have these correct!

anatīto
anatītā'ti
ahaññeveko

http://www.metta.lk/tipitaka/2Sutta-Pit ... ggo-p.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
these are from the five subjects for frequent recollection.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
seanpdx

Post by seanpdx »

Manapa wrote:
seanpdx wrote:

Aha¤¤eveko
anatãto,
anatãtà'ti
tassa

any ideas
hi Sean,
that was a direct cut and paste job there but I have had a little play with the character map and think I have these correct!

anatīto
anatītā'ti
ahaññeveko

http://www.metta.lk/tipitaka/2Sutta-Pit ... ggo-p.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
these are from the five subjects for frequent recollection.
Ahhh. Much better. Now they look like real words. =D The font used at metta.lk doesn't render properly for me either. ;)

The first two would appear to be declensions of atīta, with a prefix of "an-". The "ti" after "anatītā" denotes a quotation.

I'm guessing ahaññeveko comes from the root hana(-ti,-na), but I'm too busy at the moment to look at it in context. =(
cooran

Post by cooran »

Jarā-dhammomhi jaraṃ anatīto.
I am subject to aging. Aging is unavoidable.

Byādhi-dhammomhi byādhiṃ anatīto.
I am subject to illness. Illness is unavoidable.

Maraṇa-dhammomhi maraṇaṃ anatīto.
I am subject to death. Death is unavoidable.

Sabbehi me piyehi manāpehi nānā-bhāvo vinā-bhāvo.
I will grow different, separate from all that is dear & appealing to me.

Kammassakomhi kamma-dāyādo kamma-yoni kamma-bandhu kamma-paṭisaraṇo.
I am the owner of my actions, heir to my actions, born of my actions, related through my actions, and live dependent on my actions.

Yaṃ kammaṃ karissāmi kalyāṇaṃ vā pāpakaṃ vā tassa dāyādo bhavissāmi.
Whatever I do, for good or for evil, to that will I fall heir.

Evaṃ amhehi abhiṇhaṃ paccavekkhitabbaṃ.
We should often reflect on this.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... nting.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
piotr

Post by piotr »

Hi,
seanpdx wrote:I'm guessing ahaññeveko comes from the root hana(-ti,-na), but I'm too busy at the moment to look at it in context. =(
It seems to me that it's wrong guess. ;) Ahaññeveko = ahaṃ + eva + eko (I only one). The whole passage goes like this:

Na kho ahaññeveko jarādhammo jaraṃ anatīto = Indeed, I'm not the only one subject to aging, (who has) not transgressed aging.
Bhagavaṃmūlakā no, bhante, dhammā...
seanpdx

Post by seanpdx »

piotr wrote:Hi,
seanpdx wrote:I'm guessing ahaññeveko comes from the root hana(-ti,-na), but I'm too busy at the moment to look at it in context. =(
It seems to me that it's wrong guess. ;) Ahaññeveko = ahaṃ + eva + eko (I only one). The whole passage goes like this:

Na kho ahaññeveko jarādhammo jaraṃ anatīto = Indeed, I'm not the only one subject to aging, (who has) not transgressed aging.
Ha! That's what I get for guessing. *grin*
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

piotr wrote:Hi,

:anjali:

Thanks all!
those words were doing my head in! although I have never seen a deffinition for tassa so wasn't sure of the precise definition, if it had more than one meaning etc.

John Stuart Mill
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi Cooran,
it is the sutta found here,
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
this will definitely teach me to not try & translate again, although, I will be modest and say I am not doing to bad a job, :spy: so far, mainly due to the file I got the pali for the main sutta from. I am afraid it is the smaller quotes I am really having difficulty with :(

John Stuart Mill