YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Vijaya Sutta - Dhamma Wheel

Vijaya Sutta

Each week we study and discuss a different sutta or Dhamma text

Moderator: mikenz66

jcsuperstar

Vijaya Sutta

Postby jcsuperstar » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:18 pm

สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat

Butrfly_Nirvana

Re: Vijaya Sutta

Postby Butrfly_Nirvana » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:18 pm

*New here - sorry for just 'jumping in'!*

I think that this is possibly the greatest thing I have ever read in regards to humans 'seeing what they want to see' or even 'making their own reality'. I have always thought that man doesn't truly see anything as it is, but rather as he wants it to be. We allow ourselves to be distracted by these delusions, and I think that it creates suffering in many ways. Women suffer in wanting desperately to look like the images they see, men suffering to be with such women, and so on and so forth. I hope this makes sense--I know sometimes things are lost in translation when typing, but well, this is my 'two cents' on the topic! :smile:

*I will be keeping this reading in mind when observing the world in which we live.*
Namaste,
*~Nichole~*

Chula

Postby Chula » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:01 pm

Hi Butrfly_Nirvana,

Very true.. this sutta does really bring it all out to plain sight.

Off-topic, but I noticed the quote on your post attributed to the Buddha. You might be surprised to read that this quote is actually a misrepresentation of the Kalama Sutta - If you want to take a look:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

Hope this provides some clarity.

Metta

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:55 am

Greetings Butrfly_Nirvana,

If you like that sutta, be sure also to check out...

MN 10: Satipatthana Sutta
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

It's a very important sutta that covers similar ground, as a meditation method.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Prasadachitta

Postby Prasadachitta » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:09 pm

"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332

Chula

Postby Chula » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:30 pm

Butrfly_Nirvana

Postby Butrfly_Nirvana » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:33 pm

Thank you guys!

Chula: I found that on another site, but will definitely be sure to correct it! Thank you!
Namaste,
*~Nichole~*

Return to “Study Group”