What position do you use for sitting meditation.....

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

What position do you use for sitting meditation?

Full Lotus
14%
Half Lotus
30%
Burmese
23%
Kneeling
14%
Chair
20%

Total votes: 44

Sanghamitta

Re: What position do you use for sitting meditation.....

Post by Sanghamitta »

poto wrote:These days it's usually a chair or a couch.

A few years ago I dislocated one of my knees and tore some cartilage. Since then I can't sit in half lotus without pain. Sitting in half lotus for a full meditation session would be very painful. I can manage to sit cross-legged for 10 or 20 minutes without pain sometimes now though. Over time my knee has gotten better, so maybe in a few more years I'll be able to sit in half lotus without pain again.
Yes I suffered a cartilage tear too. So I sit with legs loosely crossed, sometimes with a cushion under that knee, and try to keep my back straight.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
seanpdx

Post by seanpdx »

Full lotus, no cushion. But I'm flexible, I like the stability of full lotus, my ankle bones get sore if I sit cross-legged too long, and I like the flexibility of not requiring a cushion to meditate. That said, I've been known to briefly meditate in any number of positions, depending on where I am, what I'm doing, and how I'm feeling -- cross-legged, half-lotus, burmese, in a chair, kneeling, sitting in a bar. =)
bodom

Post by bodom »

Larry rosenberg tells a story:

Some students wonder if "cross-legged posture" refers to the full -lotus position. Probably the Buddha did mean the full -lotus, and there is no question that it is an extremely stable posture. I myself had a teacher who thought the full lotus extremely important, and who asked me to master it. It took me ten years. The first year i couldnt even get into it. The next year i could hold it for perhaps minutes. Now the full lotus is quite comfortable for me. But my own judgement is that it usually isnt worth a new students trying so hard to learn it. If it sets up an unrealistic goal, it can become an occasion for suffering and a distraction from the real purpose of dhamma practice. It can too easily be used in the service of the ego. Years after i had mastered the full lotus, another teacher walked by while i was sitting, tapped on my shoulder, and gestured toward my full lotus. "This is the whole problem for you." And it can be a problem if it is something you attach to.
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

salty-J wrote:
Manapa wrote:
salty-J wrote:.....and as a follow up to the poll answer, do you feel using a chair has disadvantages?
I use y=to sit burmese style but now use a bench for kneeling because my legs would go numb and cease up! quite interesting when the fire alarm went off one day.
so long as the body is held erect any sitting posture is good.
that happens to me too if I actually settle in half lotus, (okay, quarter :tongue: ) when it's time to get up.....I have to literally move my feet and legs with my hands and arms, because I can't move them at all, and then afterwards there are very intense "leg fell asleep/waking up" sensations which are interesting to try and observe without aversion! I would just keep trying like this, but my knee has the arthritis (@36! How you like them apples?) which ends up causing so much pain sometimes I opt for the chair.....but I guess for whatever reason, I want to be able to sit lotus position eventually, as it is recommended in the books I'd read.....it's nice to hear so many of you sit "Indian style"/cross legged, or in a chair though, at least I am not in bad company in not utilizing exotic sitting positions..... :namaste:
no arthritis for me, but the muscles in my left leg dis-coordinate so have to do stretches quite often. I am not a fan of the normal chair, but my stools (hehe) do me well with little to no problems, depending on how often/long I sit. only had real problems once and that was on a retreat where the flaw was hard, although wasn't due to the muscles issue.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
AdvaitaJ

Post by AdvaitaJ »

I voted "Kneeling", assuming that would include the use of a bench.

I've done quite a bit of running over the years, carrying about 25-30 pounds more than I should and that has resulted in some fairly substantial calf muscles...to say nothing of the fragility of the knee joints! I used half-lotus for a few months, but would have consistent problems with knee pain, numbness, legs slipping out of position, etc after 20 minutes or so. Within a week of building my bench, I was comfortably up to 45 minutes with little pain and now, a bit over a year later, 45 minutes is generally pain-free and, depending on what the mind is doing, over an hour is now very do-able with minimal discomfort.

I've tried a chair a couple of times and found the center of gravity too high for my liking. While the bench is not as stable as cross-legged positions, it still provides a fairly large "base" that seems to help me forego the need to consciously balance.

Regards: AdvaitaJ
The birds have vanished down the sky. Now the last cloud drains away.
We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.
Li Bai
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

bodom wrote:
thereductor wrote:Half lotus descriptions list the right leg on top of the left. I do left on right, 'cause my right doesn't fold down low enough (I think I messed it up as a kid).

Are there any specific reasons that right on left is preferred?
I have noticed that in the Theravadin tradition right hand in left and right leg on left is the usual instruction and in Mahayana esp. Zen the opposite instruction is given with left on right. The reason given in Zen is that the right side of the body is the active while the left is the passive and this is supposed to balance the yin and yang or something of the sort. When I practiced Zen I never bought into it though. I never heard of any significant reason for hand placement in Theravada. I just know right on left is more natural and comfortable for me. Note also there are teachers in both traditions who instruct to rest with hands on knees so really it is all about personal preference and comfort.

. :anjali:
That explains so much. A Zen friend and I ran a workshop in "Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction", and he demonstrated a meditation posture, and I was like "Dude that is completely backwards, have you ever seen a statue of Buddha?"
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
adept

Post by adept »

Full lotus.
I also must be flexible as I've never had any trouble assuming this position. I only get pain when coming out of the position (dead legs/feet).
:buddha1:
catmoon

Post by catmoon »

How very interesting. Like others above, I usually sit crosslegged and sometimes try half lotus for brief periods, but good results come while using a chair. The chair meditations seem to progress more quickly and are more sustainable. I must be more Western (or older) than I thought.

So why do I spend so much time messing with classical positions? I remember, from decades ago, the great stability and effortlessness of full lotus and would like to get back there.
seanpdx

Post by seanpdx »

adept wrote:Full lotus.
I also must be flexible as I've never had any trouble assuming this position. I only get pain when coming out of the position (dead legs/feet).
:buddha1:
I was thinking about this yesterday after a group meditation, actually. Oddly enough, when my legs/feet start coming back to life after coming out of the lotus, it never seems to register as pain. I'm not entirely sure why, cause if my foot falls asleep in some other way, those pins 'n' needles HUUUURT. Very weird.