Dhamma written in ten different scripts

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries

Moderator: Mahavihara moderator

Re: Dhamma written in ten different scripts

Postby vinodh » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:41 am

I'm with Chrome, but it doesn't come out, either.

You guys have to update your Uniscribe Engine to enable Sinhala. The Govt. of Sri Lanka have published such Sinhala enabling packs which install Sinhala Fonts, and update the Uniscribe Engine automatically.

http://si.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia: ... Font_Guide
http://www.virtualvinodh.com

Buddhists Texts in Brahmi Script : http://www.virtualvinodh.com/brahmi-lipitva

yo dharmaṁ paśyati, sa buddhaṁ paśyati
One who sees the Dharma, sees the Buddha

na pudgalo na ca skandhā buddho jñānamanāsravam
sadāśāntiṁ vibhāvitvā gacchāmi śaraṇaṁ hyaham

Neither a person nor the aggregates, the Buddha, is knowledge free from [evil] outflows
Clearly perceiving [him] to be eternally serene, I go for refuge [in him]
vinodh

Postby vinodh » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:53 am

Chula wrote:Thanks jsv - good to know. It renders fine on Google Chrome. I'm still not clear on how to type that though..
When I do a "හල් කිරීම" after a ම and type another ම, I get ධම්ම. The link doesn't seem to clarify - not a big deal though.

You have to use ZWJ to achieve it.

ma + zwj + al lakuna + ma - Touch ma-ma ;

btw

Chula I have a doubt. In Sri Lanka, do they still use Old style-conjuncts to write Pali or have all switched to the modern non-conjunct based orthography ?

Also,

When writing Pali, do they use short short-o/e or long o/e to represent the Pali o/e ?

(e.g) which is the correct convention ?

(i) නමෝ තස්ස භගවතෝ අරහතෝ (or)

(ii) නමො තස්ස භගවතො අරහතො

Coz.. http://pali.pratyeka.org/PaliRosettaStone.pdf says.... sinhala short e/o as the equivalent of pali e/o. But on Googling (i) gives much more hits or than (ii)

V
http://www.virtualvinodh.com

Buddhists Texts in Brahmi Script : http://www.virtualvinodh.com/brahmi-lipitva

yo dharmaṁ paśyati, sa buddhaṁ paśyati
One who sees the Dharma, sees the Buddha

na pudgalo na ca skandhā buddho jñānamanāsravam
sadāśāntiṁ vibhāvitvā gacchāmi śaraṇaṁ hyaham

Neither a person nor the aggregates, the Buddha, is knowledge free from [evil] outflows
Clearly perceiving [him] to be eternally serene, I go for refuge [in him]
vinodh

Postby David N. Snyder » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:23 pm

vinodh wrote:
I'm with Chrome, but it doesn't come out, either.

You guys have to update your Uniscribe Engine to enable Sinhala. The Govt. of Sri Lanka have published such Sinhala enabling packs which install Sinhala Fonts, and update the Uniscribe Engine automatically.

Ah, yes, you are correct. I am on my laptop now and I see it fine. I just need to install the Sinhala fonts on my desktop so that I can see it there too, when using that computer. :thanks:
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby Kokoro » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:51 am

If I may add Greek to the list...

Δαμμα

And if I may make one small correction: the Japanese kana ダルマ reads "daruma." Dhamma (or damma, as it would be pronounced in Japanese) would be written as ダッマ. The small ツ represents the doubling of the "m" and a dash (ー) could be added to prolong the first or second "a" (or both) if either or both vowels are meant to be prolonged.

As a language lover myself I loved seeing the various ways "Dhamma" could be written. I'd like to see how many more scripts could be used. :smile:

:anjali:
Kokoro

Postby David N. Snyder » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:03 am

Kokoro wrote:If I may add Greek to the list...

Δαμμα

:thanks:

And if I may make one small correction: the Japanese kana ダルマ reads "daruma." Dhamma (or damma, as it would be pronounced in Japanese) would be written as ダッマ. The small ツ represents the doubling of the "m" and a dash (ー) could be added to prolong the first or second "a" (or both) if either or both vowels are meant to be prolonged.

:thanks: for that too.

As a language lover myself I loved seeing the various ways "Dhamma" could be written. I'd like to see how many more scripts could be used. :smile:

:thumbsup:
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby suanck » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:26 am

In current Vietnamse writing, there are 2 ways to express the word DHAMMA:

a) Translation (commonly used):

PHÁP [equivalent to Chinese (fa3) ]

As Dhamma has many meanings depending on a particular context, the word "Pháp" in Vietnamese can also have many meanings: the teaching, the truth, the law, the principle, the object, the thing, etc.

b) Transliteration (rarely used):

ĐẠT-MA [equivalent to Chinese 達 摩 (da2 ma1) ]

Suan.
suanck

Postby Kokoro » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:29 am

So far we have:
Roman/Latin
Sinhala
Chinese
Japanese
Hebrew
Arabic
Devanagari (Hindi)
Cyrillic (Russian)
Ethiopic
Hieroglyphic? (Not sure if it's accurate yet but I encourage anyone to confirm if it is)
Greek
Vietnamese

And I'd like to add Syriac and Hangeul (Korean) to the list. Since Syriac comes from the same language family as Arabic and Hebrew I followed their example in transliterating the word as "D + A + M + M + A."

Hangeul is interesting in that each syllable is formed in such a way that it resembles a syllabic alphabet or syllabary but in fact it is very much a phonetic alphabet like Roman, Greek, or Cyrillic.

That said, I encourage any speakers of Korean to correct my transliteration if it is incorrect. I am only mildly familair with Hangeul right now and am using Omniglot.com (http://www.omniglot.com/writing/korean.htm) as a guide.

:anjali:
Kokoro

Postby E.D. » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:13 am

Hi there, I'm sorry I'm a bit off topic here. I'm trying to find words in Devanāgarī script for Sīla, Samādhi and Paññā, can anyone help? Thanks for Dhamma in Devanāgarī! :?:
E.D.

Postby Paññāsikhara » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:50 am

E.D. wrote:Hi there, I'm sorry I'm a bit off topic here. I'm trying to find words in Devanāgarī script for Sīla, Samādhi and Paññā, can anyone help? Thanks for Dhamma in Devanāgarī! :?:

सील समाधि पञ्ञा
sīla samādhi paññā
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
Paññāsikhara

Postby E.D. » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:44 am

Paññāsikhara wrote:
E.D. wrote:Hi there, I'm sorry I'm a bit off topic here. I'm trying to find words in Devanāgarī script for Sīla, Samādhi and Paññā, can anyone help? Thanks for Dhamma in Devanāgarī! :?:

सील समाधि पञ्ञा
sīla samādhi paññā

Thanks so much!! :thanks:
E.D.

Postby JackV » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:32 am

I have found a site which translates (so it says) into Devanagari script. I just wondered if anyone can confirm that the translation it does is correct. Anyone read Devanagari?

http://www.codewallah.com/diCrunch/diCrunch.php

I just typed in Anicca, Dukkha and Anatta from Unicode to Devanagari and presto!

I so hope that it is correct because I and I been running around like a headless cyber chicken looking for some Pali script of these terms (I know that Pali hasn't it own script per se) If anyone could help me with this it would be a great help.

Metta blessings
Here where a thousand
captains swore grand conquest
Tall grasses their monument.
JackV

Postby Cittasanto » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:58 pm

Just remembered this thread while getting a link for a friend :)

This is Dharma in Korean달마
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Previous

Return to Pali