Right Aromatherapy

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
retrofuturist

Right Aromatherapy

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience in combining aromatherapy with aspects of the Buddhist path?

For example, are there certain smells which could be conducive to the development of Right Thought (i.e. wholesome, happy thoughts), Right Mindfulness, Right Concentration, samatha, and so on?

Is there any possible benefit in such an approach to complementing Buddhist practice, or do you think it's a complete dead end?

All thoughts welcome.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
PeterB

Re: Right Aromatherapy

Post by PeterB »

I dont know about Aromatherapy Retro but some scents have always been associated in Indian and Far Eastern thought with developing awareness and refining sensibility, Sandalwood and Agaru ( also known as Amberwood or Oudh ) among them. A convenient way to access them is of course incense sticks, a source of such sticks which are made from pure aromatherapy quality essential oils is Pure-Incense. Another is Jivada which is run by a former Bhikkhu and student of Ajahn Sumedho, called Maheshi.

:anjali:
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Peter,

Thanks for the tip. My wife is going to a couple of aromatherapy parties over the next fortnight and I figure if she's going to spend money, she may as well get me something useful! I'm pretty sure sandalwood is available, so I'll look into that.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
poto

Post by poto »

I use incense from time to time, but mostly to help cover up the dog smell in my house.

I would think that some scents, if used skillfully, could be useful to help provide a more conducive atmosphere for practice. Of course, I would also worry that there may be some attachment to sensual pleasures might arise, especially if one relies on them too heavily.

Also, I find that some scents are too strong and can be distracting.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C. S. Lewis
Ben

Post by Ben »

Its just sensory data, Paul.
Get it if you like the house to have a nice smell. Sure, some of it might be evocative for some people but at the end of the day I doubt whether it will be of any significance in helping you achieve your goal.
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Dear Retro,

Aromatherapy is actually a large field. The effects of natural ethereal oils such as lemon are being used in Japan to better the concentration of the employees, and the employers report significant improvement.

Robert Tisserand, a famous therapist from England describes, that synthetic substances are being researched by the Army.

(Synthetic aromas, which don't exist in nature cause fear and the wish to escape)

He was allowed to smell a substance in high dilution, created for military purposes, and felt very unpleasant, while others had to leave the building on the spot.

"Dangerous" smells, such as smoke and of rotting bodies alert us and can keep us safe, (if we stay away)

Scents and smells affect our limbic system and can cause the excretion of neurochemical substances, such as encephalines, (spelling?) endorphines, serotonine and noradrenaline.

The effect of natural ethereal oils can be used to relax and influence disharmony in mind and body. (So perhaps make your wife aware you only want natural aromas)

Lavender, for instance, is relaxing, it is said to balance blood pressure and to enhance sleep. It also helps to keep insects away.

Here some oils and their effects:

Refreshing; enhancing concentration:

Bergamotte, lemon, lime, grapefruit, lemongrass, rosemary, basil, peppermint, stone pine and juniper

Relaxing, or for the evening:

Orange, cinnamon, honey, vanille, melissa, mimosa , rose, lavender, neroli, (orange blossoms) Petit grain, myrtle, cedar.

Now to sandal wood.

As Peter rightly said, it is a very special scent.

The description says:

Sandalwood has a very deep, slow vibration, it is harmonizing, relaxing and calming.

It is slow and powerful like an Indian elephant.

If one is aggressive and stressed, it is time to benefit from sandalwood.

In Yoga, Sandalwood is associated with both the lowest root chakra,(sexual power), and the highest chakra, (wisdom and enlightenment).

It is described as the oil of the "subtle body", (highest enlightenment body) and so as the aura of a human being which transcended all delusions.
:anjali:

Hope all this was useful, and if you got any more questions, feel free to ask! :reading:

And as Ben rightly said, they can support us, (why not) but we have to do the rest.

Anna
Moggalana

Post by Moggalana »

Seems like odors can have an effect. However, that doesn't mean that a specific aroma does have a specific effect. But it doesn't mean that it is impossible either.
Let it come. Let it be. Let it go.
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

"Science" :roll:
Last edited by Annapurna on Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Pharmacological effects attributed to essential oils

From Wiki

* Antibacterial: In vitro testing has confirmed antibacterial effects in certain oils including rosemary, clove, lime, cinnamon, and tea tree oil.[17][18][19][20]
* Antiviral: Supported for tea tree oil, lemongrass, sandalwood, peppermint, ginger, thyme, and hyssop in in vitro testing against Herpes[21][22][23][24][25]
* Antifungal: Supported by in vitro testing for lavender, thyme, clove, juniper, and tea tree oil[26][27][28][29][30]
* Anti-inflammatory: Reported in in-vitro assays of clove, cinnamon, sage, eucalyptus, black cumin and bay leaf[31][32][33][34][35][36]
* Anxiolytic: Reported in animal models using oils of lavender, rose and angelica [37][38][39]
* Antispasmotic (spasmolytic): Spasmolytic properties for catnip, lavender and New Zealand tea tree oils have been reported in animal studies.[40][41][42][43]
* Invigorating:[citation needed]
* Antioxidant: thyme, clove, rose, eucalyptus, fennel, and bergamot in studies of bovine cells[44]

Those are examples for effects on the material level, but what is the material level?

Where does enlightenment take place, can science tell us that?

If not, and we need scientific evidence, why follow the path of the Buddha?

Is there any scientific evidence Samsara, rebirth and Nibbanna exist? :anjali:
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi Retro,
I did study this and there are effects, both physically and mentally, but it wouldn't necessarily be any better than coffee tea, or incense in regard to practice, it would be an aid but not much more.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

in my old zendo we burned japanese sandalwood insence. i sat with this smell for years. now when i smell it it triggers that sense of meditation and is very helpful.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Ben,
Ben wrote:Its just sensory data
On one level that's true, but as a "biological input" it can have a distinct impact on body, which can have an impact on mind.

We know for example, that certain times and level of food intake are conducive to meditation whereas others aren't, so I'm certainly not discounting the possibility of scents being detected by the brain, and triggering some biological response, which may have either a positive or negative impact in terms of one's spiritual endeavours. In Annabel's excellent post, she gave examples of what biological responses might be evoked by certain smells.

From yet another perspective, I experience Seasonal Affective Disorder which is generally attributed to lack of light within certain frequencies. Again, regarding light, "its just sensory data" from a vipassana/satipatthana perspective but I know it has certain physiological impacts, the consequences of which can be actually be hindrances to mental cultivation.

:stirthepot:

Metta,
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello Retro, all,

This might be of interest:

And what is despair? Whatever despair, despondency, desperation of anyone suffering from misfortune, touched by a painful thing, that is called despair.

"And what is the stress of association with the unbeloved? There is the case where undesirable, unpleasing, unattractive sights, sounds, aromas, flavors, or tactile sensations occur to one; or one has connection, contact, relationship, interaction with those who wish one ill, who wish for one's harm, who wish for one's discomfort, who wish one no security from the yoke. This is called the stress of association with the unbeloved.

"And what is the stress of separation from the loved? There is the case where desirable, pleasing, attractive sights, sounds, aromas, flavors, or tactile sensations do not occur to one; or one has no connection, no contact, no relationship, no interaction with those who wish one well, who wish for one's benefit, who wish for one's comfort, who wish one security from the yoke, nor with one's mother, father, brother, sister, friends, companions, or relatives. This is called the stress of separation from the loved.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dham ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
poto

Post by poto »

retrofuturist wrote: From yet another perspective, I experience Seasonal Affective Disorder which is generally attributed to lack of light within certain frequencies. Again, regarding light, "its just sensory data" from a vipassana/satipatthana perspective but I know it has certain physiological impacts, the consequences of which can be actually be prohibitive to mental cultivation.
Full spectrum fluorescent bulbs can help with this. If light intensity is an issue (fluorescent bulbs tend to not be very bright), a HID (high intensity discharge) light along with the full spectrum bulb will help flood the room with so much light you'll need sunglasses. ;)

Hydroponics and indoor gardening have long been hobbies of mine, so I'm very experienced with lighting systems. If you want to build a 'light room', or put some plants in there and make it a grow room, I can help with some tips and advice. I find it very pleasing to be able to walk into a grow room in the dead of winter and be surrounded by green plants and bright lights.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C. S. Lewis
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Poto,

Interesting - can such things be purchased at a hydroponics store? What kind of price range are we talking?

I'd love one at my desk at work (since that's where I spend many hours, 5 days a week, during Winter) but I don't know how others would feel about it. 8-)

Metta,