Right Aromatherapy

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Guy

Re: Right Aromatherapy

Post by Guy »

Hi Annabel,
Annabel wrote:Is there any scientific evidence Samsara, rebirth and Nibbanna exist? :anjali:
There is some evidence "suggestive of reincarnation (rebirth)" which was conducted by Dr Ian Stevenson, though his work is not accepted by the larger scientific community. His work is really only suggestive, it doesn't actually prove rebirth, but I think it would be impossible to prove rebirth from a purely scientific point of view.

:focus:

With Metta,

Guy
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Cooran,

That's a relevant sutta because not only is there the section on "aromas" which directly involves the perception of smell as sensory data and the associated mental reactions... but there's also mention of "tactile sensations" which could arise based on the presence or absence of certain physiological inputs.

Thanks.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
poto

Post by poto »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Poto,

Interesting - can such things be purchased at a hydroponics store? What kind of price range are we talking?

I'd love one at my desk at work (since that's where I spend many hours, 5 days a week, during Winter) but I don't know how others would feel about it. 8-)

Metta,
Yep, you can get everything at a hydro store. Although, you can find many of the same basic things at your local hardware store for cheaper. The hydroponics stores are just more convenient and have people who are knowledgeable about those things. If you do have a hydroponics store that's local, I'd say just to take look around. Those types of stores usually have experiences staff that can help answer some of your questions.

The full spectrum fluorescent bulbs in the 4ft. tubes and fixtures should be the cheapest at the hardware store. As should shelving, and other components.

How much you spend depends on how big of a system you want and how much work you want to do yourself. I've built some very large systems myself for very cheap, but that was with me doing everything from building shelving to wiring HID lights from kits myself. Also, it depends on what kind of plants you want to grow. Some plants require more light than others and specific humidity or temperature conditions (especially tropical plants). I have some indoor gardening books around here somewhere. If you want to grow any specific plants, I can try to look em up and see what exact conditions would be optimum for each.

There are also new LED grow lights. They are much more energy efficient, but also more expensive. They aren't nearly as bright as HID lights. They do work well for small indoor herb gardens and other plants.

If you just want a small full spectrum fluorescent bulb for your desk, and don't want any plants, they do make compact fluorescent bulbs in full spectrum. They are a little more expensive than the regular CFs, and you might have to order them online, but that would be the cheapest route. They might have some of those at the hydro store, not sure.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C. S. Lewis
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Poto,

Thanks for the recommendations - I'll do some investigating.

:thumbsup:

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Prasadachitta

Post by Prasadachitta »

Hi Retro,

There is a section in the "Vimilakirti Nirdesha" (which is an influential Mahayana text) where a pure land is described. The Buddha of this pure land communicates using various perfumes.

I thought that might be interesting to note given your question.

Metta

Gabe
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Retro,
retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Ben,
Ben wrote:Its just sensory data
On one level that's true, but as a "biological input" it can have a distinct impact on body, which can have an impact on mind.

We know for example, that certain times and level of food intake are conducive to meditation whereas others aren't, so I'm certainly not discounting the possibility of scents being detected by the brain, and triggering some biological response, which may have either a positive or negative impact in terms of one's spiritual endeavours. In Annabel's excellent post, she gave examples of what biological responses might be evoked by certain smells.

From yet another perspective, I experience Seasonal Affective Disorder which is generally attributed to lack of light within certain frequencies. Again, regarding light, "its just sensory data" from a vipassana/satipatthana perspective but I know it has certain physiological impacts, the consequences of which can be actually be hindrances to mental cultivation.

:stirthepot:

Metta,
It will be interesting what the peer-reviewed academic literature, particularly in the realm of cognitive and consciousness research, says on the subject. But as far as assisting one on the Path, I am not yet convinced.
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Prasadachitta

Post by Prasadachitta »

Just like loud obnoxious noises make it difficult to become absorbed in meditation I think powerful stench would do the same. Just like the sound of trees blowing in the wind, a bubbling stream or the ocean make it easier to become absorbed in meditation I think soft and pleasant smells like pine trees, moss, or ocean mist help in a similar manner. This all applies to absorption or "samata" not necessarily insight where the smell of rotting flesh might have a positive effect at the right time.

Metta

Gabe
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332
Ben

Post by Ben »

I'm not so sure Gabe.
I acknowledge that the phrase Noise is a thorn to Jhana appears in the commentaries (and perhaps even in the suttas), I have not yet seen any reference to odours and smells on meditative practice within the ancient literature. If it did have a deliterious or positive effect, then I am sure, like noise, it would have been mentioned.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Prasadachitta

Post by Prasadachitta »

Ben wrote:I'm not so sure Gabe.
I acknowledge that the phrase Noise is a thorn to Jhana appears in the commentaries (and perhaps even in the suttas), I have not yet seen any reference to odours and smells on meditative practice within the ancient literature. If it did have a deliterious or positive effect, then I am sure, like noise, it would have been mentioned.
kind regards

Ben
Well its been my experience anyway. At least at the level of being able to settle down and engage with practice. I recall many wonderful periods of meditation next to a stream allowing the soothing smells and sounds to usher me into absorption. Of course anecdotal evidence is not scientific and I am usually engaged in a very full meditation schedule during the times I recall.

Metta

Gabe
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Ben,
Ben wrote:Its just sensory data
On one level that's true, but as a "biological input" it can have a distinct impact on body, which can have an impact on mind.

We know for example, that certain times and level of food intake are conducive to meditation whereas others aren't, so I'm certainly not discounting the possibility of scents being detected by the brain, and triggering some biological response, which may have either a positive or negative impact in terms of one's spiritual endeavours. In Annabel's excellent post, she gave examples of what biological responses might be evoked by certain smells.

From yet another perspective, I experience Seasonal Affective Disorder which is generally attributed to lack of light within certain frequencies. Again, regarding light, "its just sensory data" from a vipassana/satipatthana perspective but I know it has certain physiological impacts, the consequences of which can be actually be hindrances to mental cultivation.

:stirthepot:

Metta,
Thank you, Retro, I'm glad my post made sense to you.

Your analogy to sunlight is excellent, since it is also a non tactible phenomenon, yet with distinct effect on all life.

In a way, everything is "frequency" and "vibration". Sound, light, and even the atoms in our bodies and everything around us have a their very own specific " vibe".

"Nada Brahma, the world is sound." (is a book by a German university professor that I have...)

Those frequencies can be in sync with ours, or out of sync with ours, and cause us to feel uncomfortable.

You mention the affective disorder you are susceptible to, due to a lack of light.

It is a not uncommon state where I live, we are in deepest winter right now, had lots of snow, and quite a few people are suffering from a lack of certain hormones in the brain which are triggered by strong sunlight.

I too feel unmotivated and tired these days. I want to sleep a lot, but can't. (Work) :evil:

Since you asked for an oil to use...

orange oil is used for winter depression, both in an aroma lamp, and as a fruit to eat.

I never eat oranges or drink orange juice in the summer, but in the winter I literally crave it.

Food instinct? We know from experience, that goats and cows who can roam freely in the Alpine mountains seek out certain herbs to cure themselves when they are ill.

It is a well known known empirical fact amongst mountain farmers, only scientists from the city don't believe this, since they have never seen it, and need double blind studies to recapture what is our very own natural possession and knowledge if we stay in touch with nature.

As Johann Wolfgang von Goethe and Shakespeare both said:

"There is more between heaven and earth than is dreamt of in your 'school wisdom'".

Best wishes and hope you enjoy orange oil. I like blood orange best.

Annabel
Last edited by Annapurna on Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Guy

Post by Guy »

It's sooo hot in Perth today so I crave icecream, pretty sure my body doesn't need it though.
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

You probably benefit more from lukewarm peppermint tea, as it is used by the desert nomads in North Afrika. Peppermint is a slightly cooling aroma.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

hi Annabel
when I trained in body therapy, there was a product specially for people with weight problems with peppermint oil in.
it tricked the area it was applied to into thinking it was cold and a shiver reaction happened which aided in burning fat (so to speak), it was a fabrication of the senses, not an actual cooling.

hi Gabe,
I know someone who finds the sound of flowing water, a babbling brook or waterfall very stressful since they nearly drowned, it would seam that sounds are only relaxing or conductive if you provide that worth to the sound.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Menthol is experienced as 'cool'....yep...

Peppermint oil is also quite effective for headaches, when applied to the temples...

That is years old snow though...
meindzai

Post by meindzai »

My money says there is a Tibetan Buddhist somewhere who has an answer to your question.

Now whether you accept that answer would be up to you. :)

-M