Whats your meditation schedule?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

Whats your meditation schedule?

Postby bodom » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:06 pm

For myself i meditate first thing in the morning at 5:30 and sit for 30 minutes followed by 10 minutes of walking meditation then finish with another 30 minute sit. I will then sit again in the evening for 30 minutes and 10 minutes of walking. Im curious to know what everyones current formal meditation schedule is. I am looking to maybe modify my own and am looking for ideas of how others practice. Thanks!

:namaste:
Last edited by bodom on Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Re: Whats your meditation schedule?

Postby Cittasanto » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:37 pm

bodom_bad_boy wrote:For myself i meditate first thing in the morning at 5:30 and sit for 30 minutes followed by 10 minutes of walking meditation then finish with another 30 minute sit. I will then sit again in the evening for 30 minutes and 10 minutes of walking. Im curious to know what everyones current schedule is. I am looking to maybe modify my own and am looking for ideas of how others practice. Thanks!

Being a chef and doing various shifts means I can not develop a regular schedule besides in the morning I sit for 40 minuets before work, and on a wednesday I go to a FWBO Meeting so Have a sit on that evening.
normelly when I get home I have a hour on the computer before bed, and try to stay mindful throughout the day, very good stress buster. I also listen to a talk before bed and meditate during that so at night it varies from 20mins to an hour depending on the length
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby clw_uk » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:00 pm

At the moment i do 40-45 minutes when i come home from work (this varies from later afternoon to early evening because i work shifts).
I used to try morning meditation but my mind always seemed to be to drowsy so i stopped it. Never could find a good way to wake myself up enough in time lol.

“ Your mind is likewise blocked. But the right road awaits you still. Cast out your doubts, your fears and your desires, let go of grief and of hope as well, for where these rule , then the mind is their subject." Boetius
clw_uk

Postby bodom » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:05 pm

clw_uk wrote:At the moment i do 40-45 minutes when i come home from work (this varies from later afternoon to early evening because i work shifts).
I used to try morning meditation but my mind always seemed to be to drowsy so i stopped it. Never could find a good way to wake myself up enough in time lol.

I take Buddhadasa's advice and sit with my eyes open to ward off any sleepiness.I find taking a quick shower before i sit helps too.

The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby clw_uk » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:50 pm

I tried showers but still didnt wake me up, I never thought of trying it with my eyes open though, think i will try that tomorow morning :smile:

Thanks BBB :namaste:
“ Your mind is likewise blocked. But the right road awaits you still. Cast out your doubts, your fears and your desires, let go of grief and of hope as well, for where these rule , then the mind is their subject." Boetius
clw_uk

Postby mikenz66 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:02 pm

My regular morning schedule is 30 minutes walking then 30 minutes sitting. It takes me about 15 minutes of walking to get reasonably collected. Morning is good because I can always get it done by getting up earlier...

I have much more trouble having a regular schedule in the evening, but all this depends on how your life is organised (or not...).

Metta
Mike
mikenz66

Postby bodom » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:05 pm

mikenz66 wrote:My regular morning schedule is 30 minutes walking then 30 minutes sitting. It takes me about 15 minutes of walking to get reasonably collected. Morning is good because I can always get it done by getting up earlier...

I have much more trouble having a regular schedule in the evening, but all this depends on how your life is organised (or not...).

Metta
Mike

Yep thats why i sit first thing in the morning too. I never know what my girl has planned for later in the evening. Thanks for the reply.

bodom

Postby fijiNut » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:36 pm

1-2 hours a day. 1 hour blocks.

I think the length would change if the Jhanas could be mastered.

But no set schedule because I find the application of practice in daily life very interesting ( sampajanna). I wonder is there any practice specifically for this: Webu Sayadaw and numerous teachers mentions how it is possible to be continually aware of the breath whilst awake and sleeping.

-edit
fijiNut

Postby Ben » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:34 pm

My normal schedule is:
Twice daily: 1 hour vipassana + 5 min metta bhavana (morning and evening)
Sundays: morning as above and up to 3 hours vipassana in the evening.

At the moment its all over the place as I'm in the middle of moving house interstate.
Kind regards

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby AdvaitaJ » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:34 am

Weekends: 45-60 minutes each day in the morning just after coffee (half-caf, doesn't really affect me, I tested it)
Weekdays: 40 minutes on the commute to work (challenging environment, but better than nothing) then 25-30 minutes walking on the corporate exercise track, again far from optimal but better than nothing.
Specials: An extra 30-60 minutes once or twice a week if my wife is otherwise occupied and I have the time.

Regards: AdvaitaJ
The birds have vanished down the sky. Now the last cloud drains away.
We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.
Li Bai
AdvaitaJ

Return to Theravada Meditation