Can meditation help me when I'm sick?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Cittasanto

Re: Can meditation help me when I'm sick?

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi Annabel,
take a look at this Buddhist meditation. It is a visualization type of meditation, especially effective for illness.

SMOKE OUT, LIGHT IN
is that a theravadin Meditation?
The only thing I can think of off the top of my head for illness in the suttas are the Factors of Awakening as a reflection.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Manapa,
Manapa wrote:is that a theravadin Meditation?
No.

But at the same time, that's not to say it's of no value - this isn't a Theravada keyboard, nor a Theravadin coffee on this table... but they work.

:coffee:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
bodom

Post by bodom »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Manapa,
No.

But at the same time, that's not to say it's of no value - this isn't a Theravada keyboard, nor a Theravadin coffee on this table... but they work.

Metta,

:goodpost:

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Manapa wrote:The only thing I can think of off the top of my head for illness in the suttas are the Factors of Awakening as a reflection.
I forgot to mention the Paritta Suttas — the Bojjhanga Sutta is used for healing.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

where is it from though?

I have heard of this similar types of meditation for generating heat, and healing from Tibet but not specifically anything from Theravada.
retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Manapa,
No.

Metta,
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Dhammabodhi

Post by Dhammabodhi »

Thought this might be of interest:

:anjali:
Dhammabodhi
"Take rest, take rest."-S.N.Goenka