The bible, and Aliens

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Orbiting-Awareness

The bible, and Aliens

Post by Orbiting-Awareness »

I'm just curious about the opinion of the bible here, and also the possibilities of Aliens in the book. Considering that the bible is full of metaphors, perhaps there are metaphors for "UFO's", genetic manipulation (Adam and Eve?), and Nuclear weapons. Let me know what you guys think! This could get interesting.
tiltbillings

Re: The bible, and Aliens

Post by tiltbillings »

It strikes me as tinfoil hat stuff.
Attachments
saupload_tinfoil_hat[1].jpg
saupload_tinfoil_hat[1].jpg (46.59 KiB) Viewed 3823 times
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Orbiting-Awareness

tiltbillings wrote:It strikes me as tinfoil hat stuff.
Hahaha! Ya know, that would only work if you covered your entire body in tin foil? :P But in all seriousness, how many ancient accounts are there of powerful "Gods" coming to earth, Burning rings from the heavens, ect? I'm curious to see how many can be collected here.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Orbiting-Awareness wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:It strikes me as tinfoil hat stuff.
Hahaha! Ya know, that would only work if you covered your entire body in tin foil? :P But in all seriousness, how many ancient accounts are there of powerful "Gods" coming to earth, Burning rings from the heavens, ect? I'm curious to see how many can be collected here.
Pink_Trike might be able to help with that, if he ever comes back.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Orbiting-Awareness

tiltbillings wrote:Pink_Trike might be able to help with that, if he ever comes back.
Hmmm. Maybe I'll search there posts.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

tiltbillings wrote:Pink_Trike might be able to help with that, if he ever comes back.
What?
You mean he's gone off with the aliens??
Why wasn't I told???
I would have given anything to go with him ... well, except ... ummm ... stuff that's really really important to me like ... ummmm ... my favourite ballpoint pen and ... stuff like that.
:thinking:

Kim
Orbiting-Awareness

Kim O'Hara wrote:
What?
You mean he's gone off with the aliens??
Why wasn't I told???
I would have given anything to go with him ... well, except ... ummm ... stuff that's really really important to me like ... ummmm ... my favourite ballpoint pen and ... stuff like that.
:thinking:

Kim
Hahahaha! I'd give...Umm... My used socks? Aliens use that as currency, right? :alien:
cooran

Post by cooran »

But then there is this:

Are there Aliens or flying saucers / UFO's in the Bible? What happened at Roswell?
http://www.angelfire.com/mi/dinosaurs/aliens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Orbiting-Awareness

cooran wrote:But then there is this:

Are there Aliens or flying saucers / UFO's in the Bible? What happened at Roswell?
http://www.angelfire.com/mi/dinosaurs/aliens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hmm... I find it interesting how the auther says that "Aliens are never confused with humans. Nor do they have 4 faces as the creatures are said to have in verse 6.-Aliens don't have any wings, let alone four of them." Theoretically aliens could have many wings or faces as we have "never seen them, or even know they exist"
Paññāsikhara

Post by Paññāsikhara »

Try looking at Carl Jung's book, Flying Saucers.
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
Orbiting-Awareness

Paññāsikhara wrote:Try looking at Carl Jung's book, Flying Saucers.
Hmmm. I'm fond of Jung, though i haven't read much of his books, this may be one worth looking into!
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

Orbiting Awareness, will Aliens should they exist, prevent your experience of Dukkha ? And if they exist and are sentient beings are they likely to be free of Dukkha?
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Orbiting-Awareness

Sanghamitta wrote:Orbiting Awareness, will Aliens should they exist, prevent your experience of Dukkha ? And if they exist and are sentient beings are they likely to be free of Dukkha?
That's a very good question! Preventing my experience of dukkha, I highly doubt it, Unless they have a meditation room onboard the ship! :alien: :rofl:
As for them being free of dukkha? Well that depends, has a buddha been born on their home world, and brought the teachings of the dhamma? :sage:
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Attachments
totalbodyprotectionagainst aliens.jpg
totalbodyprotectionagainst aliens.jpg (155.54 KiB) Viewed 3787 times

Orbiting-Awareness

tiltbillings wrote:.
:rofl: :jumping: Tilt, you just made my night. :P