The bible, and Aliens

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

The bible, and Aliens

Postby Orbiting-Awareness » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:09 am

I'm just curious about the opinion of the bible here, and also the possibilities of Aliens in the book. Considering that the bible is full of metaphors, perhaps there are metaphors for "UFO's", genetic manipulation (Adam and Eve?), and Nuclear weapons. Let me know what you guys think! This could get interesting.
Orbiting-Awareness

Re: The bible, and Aliens

Postby tiltbillings » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:14 am

It strikes me as tinfoil hat stuff.
Attachments
saupload_tinfoil_hat[1].jpg
saupload_tinfoil_hat[1].jpg (46.74 KiB) Viewed 942 times
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby Orbiting-Awareness » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:16 am

tiltbillings wrote:It strikes me as tinfoil hat stuff.

Hahaha! Ya know, that would only work if you covered your entire body in tin foil? :P But in all seriousness, how many ancient accounts are there of powerful "Gods" coming to earth, Burning rings from the heavens, ect? I'm curious to see how many can be collected here.
Orbiting-Awareness

Postby tiltbillings » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:18 am

Orbiting-Awareness wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:It strikes me as tinfoil hat stuff.

Hahaha! Ya know, that would only work if you covered your entire body in tin foil? :P But in all seriousness, how many ancient accounts are there of powerful "Gods" coming to earth, Burning rings from the heavens, ect? I'm curious to see how many can be collected here.
Pink_Trike might be able to help with that, if he ever comes back.
SN I, 38.

tiltbillings

Postby Orbiting-Awareness » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:19 am

tiltbillings wrote:Pink_Trike might be able to help with that, if he ever comes back.

Hmmm. Maybe I'll search there posts.
Orbiting-Awareness

Postby Kim OHara » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:26 am

tiltbillings wrote:Pink_Trike might be able to help with that, if he ever comes back.

What?
You mean he's gone off with the aliens??
Why wasn't I told???
I would have given anything to go with him ... well, except ... ummm ... stuff that's really really important to me like ... ummmm ... my favourite ballpoint pen and ... stuff like that.
:thinking:

Kim
Kim OHara

Postby Orbiting-Awareness » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:29 am

Kim O'Hara wrote:

What?
You mean he's gone off with the aliens??
Why wasn't I told???
I would have given anything to go with him ... well, except ... ummm ... stuff that's really really important to me like ... ummmm ... my favourite ballpoint pen and ... stuff like that.
:thinking:

Kim

Hahahaha! I'd give...Umm... My used socks? Aliens use that as currency, right? :alien:
Orbiting-Awareness

Postby cooran » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:32 am

But then there is this:

Are there Aliens or flying saucers / UFO's in the Bible? What happened at Roswell?
http://www.angelfire.com/mi/dinosaurs/aliens.html
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby Orbiting-Awareness » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:06 am

cooran wrote:But then there is this:

Are there Aliens or flying saucers / UFO's in the Bible? What happened at Roswell?
http://www.angelfire.com/mi/dinosaurs/aliens.html

Hmm... I find it interesting how the auther says that "Aliens are never confused with humans. Nor do they have 4 faces as the creatures are said to have in verse 6.-Aliens don't have any wings, let alone four of them." Theoretically aliens could have many wings or faces as we have "never seen them, or even know they exist"
Orbiting-Awareness

Postby Paññāsikhara » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:12 am

Try looking at Carl Jung's book, Flying Saucers.
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
Paññāsikhara

Postby Orbiting-Awareness » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:18 am

Paññāsikhara wrote:Try looking at Carl Jung's book, Flying Saucers.

Hmmm. I'm fond of Jung, though i haven't read much of his books, this may be one worth looking into!
Orbiting-Awareness

Postby Sanghamitta » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:33 am

Orbiting Awareness, will Aliens should they exist, prevent your experience of Dukkha ? And if they exist and are sentient beings are they likely to be free of Dukkha?
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Sanghamitta

Postby Orbiting-Awareness » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:46 am

Sanghamitta wrote:Orbiting Awareness, will Aliens should they exist, prevent your experience of Dukkha ? And if they exist and are sentient beings are they likely to be free of Dukkha?

That's a very good question! Preventing my experience of dukkha, I highly doubt it, Unless they have a meditation room onboard the ship! :alien: :rofl:
As for them being free of dukkha? Well that depends, has a buddha been born on their home world, and brought the teachings of the dhamma? :sage:
Orbiting-Awareness

Postby tiltbillings » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:48 am

Attachments
totalbodyprotectionagainst aliens.jpg
totalbodyprotectionagainst aliens.jpg (156.12 KiB) Viewed 906 times
SN I, 38.

tiltbillings

Postby Orbiting-Awareness » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:53 am

tiltbillings wrote:.

:rofl: :jumping: Tilt, you just made my night. :P
Orbiting-Awareness

Postby Fede » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:58 pm

I snorted my coffee twice, reading this thread.
Is this a record?

I think we should know..........
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/
Fede

Postby meindzai » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:13 pm

These days I choose to think in probabilities rather than whether things are possible or not. The probability that any species will be able to overcome the limitations of physics, before destroying themselves as a civilization or their world dying- highly improbable. Aliens actually overcoming the mind boggling limitations of physics, traveling trillions of light years in highly manueverable spacecraft - and then crashing in a corn field? Really, quite highly unlikely.

As for the bible, most of the descriptions of supernatural events are borrowed from earlier myths from egyptian and Babylonian mythology, then re-edited to comply with monotheism.

-M
meindzai

Postby Kare » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Of course there are aliens in deep space. The Mahapadana Suttanta (DN 14) tells us about them:

Even in those spaces which are between the worlds, baseless, murky and dark, and where even moon and sun, so wondrous and mighty, cannot prevail to give light, even there is made manifest this infinite and splendid radiance, passing the glory of the gods. And those beings who happen to be existing there, perceiving each other by that radiance, say: "Verily there be other beings living here!"

:alien: :woohoo:
Mettāya,
Kåre
Kare

Postby Orbiting-Awareness » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:34 am

Kare wrote:Of course there are aliens in deep space. The Mahapadana Suttanta (DN 14) tells us about them:

Even in those spaces which are between the worlds, baseless, murky and dark, and where even moon and sun, so wondrous and mighty, cannot prevail to give light, even there is made manifest this infinite and splendid radiance, passing the glory of the gods. And those beings who happen to be existing there, perceiving each other by that radiance, say: "Verily there be other beings living here!"

:alien: :woohoo:

I'm glad you posted this, because I knew there was mention of this subject in the Suttas.
Orbiting-Awareness

Postby Ben » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:53 am

Hi Meindzai

meindzai wrote:These days I choose to think in probabilities rather than whether things are possible or not. The probability that any species will be able to overcome the limitations of physics, before destroying themselves as a civilization or their world dying- highly improbable. Aliens actually overcoming the mind boggling limitations of physics, traveling trillions of light years in highly manueverable spacecraft - and then crashing in a corn field? Really, quite highly unlikely.

As for the bible, most of the descriptions of supernatural events are borrowed from earlier myths from egyptian and Babylonian mythology, then re-edited to comply with monotheism.

-M

If you ever get an opportunity, try to get yourself a copy of Kurt Vonnegut's novel "The Sirens of Titan". Its a craic!
metta

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Return to Lounge