Samaya

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Cittasanto

Re: Samaya

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi Bhante,
Yes that is what I was meaning, MN 58: Abhayarajakumara Sutta — To Prince Abhaya. one of my favourite suttas, although can never remember the name? and possibly where I used harsh from.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
davcuts

Post by davcuts »

I wish no ill will towards my teacher. I however feel the need to educate people about the tradition he created. There where times I spoke out of anger, and that seems to be the cause for people accusing me of going straight to hell when I die. It doesn't seem this type of fundamentalist beliefs are held in Theravada Buddhism. So could a Theravada practitioner state they feel there former teacher was a cult leader, or would that be breaking some precept?

Thanks,
David
Ngawang Drolma.

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

I don't like it when people scare others with hell talk. And then go so far as to condemn them to aeons in hell.

No one knows your karma or future births, Dave. Not even you :heart:
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Davcuts,
davcuts wrote:So could a Theravada practitioner state they feel there former teacher was a cult leader, or would that be breaking some precept?
No, not at all.

As for future destinations, there are determined by kamma (action). Kamma performed that is rooted in wholesome mindstates of wisdom, lovingkindess and renunciation/generosity will lead to good results. Conversely kamma performed that is rooted in unwholesome mindstates of delusion, aversion and greed, will lead to bad results. Your mindstate/motivation when you performed these activities will determine their kammic legacy... not threats from others which have no grounding in the tipitaka.

There is no samaya to protect teachers in Theravada. Teachers must teach that which is in accord with the Pali Canon or they will be easily exposed by those who are knowledgeable on particular subjects.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ngawang Drolma.

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

PS

What would be worse than breaking samaya would be following a guru who is heading directly to the hell realms.

Theravadan people please ignore above comment. Is only about TB samaya and David's pain and worry.

Kindly,
Drolma :heart:
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

not sure if this helps but when i first converted to buddhism, i was kept up by dreams that i was going to go to hell. even though i no longer was a christian, those teachings where so deep in me that i felt fear.
it took time but it just went away on it's own. i'm sure the fears you have now, will do the same. part of you knows now something you didnt know then, and as that becomes the dominate knowing, the past knowledge will become less and less a factor.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat