Goenka Vipassana Retreats

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
zavk

Re: Goenka Vipassana Retreats

Post by zavk »

Hi living_peacefully

I've done a few Goenka retreats but never had to worry about the issue of jewelery simply because I don't wear any. But I think it is likely that the course management will ask you to remove the gold hoops. As for your wedding ring, I'm not too sure about that. Maybe Ben (who has sat many, many courses) can comment on that.

All the best for your course.
With metta,
zavk
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi living peacefully and Zavk

You won't need to remove your wedding ring. I wear a wedding ring and I don't take mine off during a retreat and I've never been asked to.

Your earrings might be ok if they are functional and being worn to ensure your piercings don't heal over. Anyway, you can discuss with Centre management during registration. It shouldn't be a problem.
I would like to wish you the very best for your first retreat. Just remember to follow the instructions and the code of discipline and you should be fine.
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask via pm.
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

Just a quick note which may be of interest, I have done both Mahasi and Goenka retreats and found them both of the greatest benefit.
I realise that life circumstances may temporarily present a problem for a few in attending retreats, but for those who can, dont hesitate. I would go as far as saying that my meditation practice before my first retreat was very valuable, but it was a very valuable rehearsal for retreat. The effect of retreat was profound and for me, transformative. The theoretical started at least in a small way, to become the actual.
Best wishes to all who are planning a retreat, on a retreat, or have been retreatants.

:anjali:
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
living peacefully

Post by living peacefully »

Thank you for your thoughts and advice Zavk, Ben and Sanghamitta. :bow:

Living Peacefully :namaste:
Moggalana

Post by Moggalana »

Has anyone here also done a retreat with the people at IMC? It is also in the tradition of U Ba Khin, so it is probably not too different from Goenka's retreats, or is it?
Let it come. Let it be. Let it go.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Moggalana wrote:Has anyone here also done a retreat with the people at IMC? It is also in the tradition of U Ba Khin, so it is probably not too different from Goenka's retreats, or is it?
I have attended a retreat at IMC's centre in Witshire UK. I think anyone familiar with the Goenka system will find IMC compatible.

:anjali:
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Moggalana and PeterB,
Moggalana wrote:Has anyone here also done a retreat with the people at IMC? It is also in the tradition of U Ba Khin, so it is probably not too different from Goenka's retreats, or is it?
Sayagi U Ba Khin was Goenkaji's teacher, and Goenkaji was an assistant teacher to U Ba Khin. When Burma nationalized its industrial sector in the late 1960s it expelled many of its ethnic Indians and Mr Goenka went to India and began teaching there. When U Ba Khin died in 1971, his successor in Burma was Mother Sayamagyi.
For all intents and purposes the ten-day course at IMC is almost identical to the ten-day course offered through the Goenka Vipassana Meditation Centres. The technique is virtually the same except the timetable is a little different.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Moggalana

Post by Moggalana »

Thank you, Peter and Ben :)
Let it come. Let it be. Let it go.
YogaGirl

Post by YogaGirl »

I just found you all...I am going on my first 10 day beginning tomorrow in Minnesota. Thank you all for your support- every question that I had was answered here. I've taught Yoga for many years and dabbled in meditation-This for me is my next step on this journey...I've always pulled back...but as they say- "When the student is ready..."
Blessings to you all. :anjali:
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Good luck with it, YogaGirl.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."