The bible, and Aliens

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Fede

Re: The bible, and Aliens

Post by Fede »

I snorted my coffee twice, reading this thread.
Is this a record?

I think we should know..........
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
meindzai

Post by meindzai »

These days I choose to think in probabilities rather than whether things are possible or not. The probability that any species will be able to overcome the limitations of physics, before destroying themselves as a civilization or their world dying- highly improbable. Aliens actually overcoming the mind boggling limitations of physics, traveling trillions of light years in highly manueverable spacecraft - and then crashing in a corn field? Really, quite highly unlikely.

As for the bible, most of the descriptions of supernatural events are borrowed from earlier myths from egyptian and Babylonian mythology, then re-edited to comply with monotheism.

-M
Kare

Post by Kare »

Of course there are aliens in deep space. The Mahapadana Suttanta (DN 14) tells us about them:

Even in those spaces which are between the worlds, baseless, murky and dark, and where even moon and sun, so wondrous and mighty, cannot prevail to give light, even there is made manifest this infinite and splendid radiance, passing the glory of the gods. And those beings who happen to be existing there, perceiving each other by that radiance, say: "Verily there be other beings living here!"

:alien: :woohoo:
Mettāya,
Kåre
Orbiting-Awareness

Post by Orbiting-Awareness »

Kare wrote:Of course there are aliens in deep space. The Mahapadana Suttanta (DN 14) tells us about them:

Even in those spaces which are between the worlds, baseless, murky and dark, and where even moon and sun, so wondrous and mighty, cannot prevail to give light, even there is made manifest this infinite and splendid radiance, passing the glory of the gods. And those beings who happen to be existing there, perceiving each other by that radiance, say: "Verily there be other beings living here!"

:alien: :woohoo:
I'm glad you posted this, because I knew there was mention of this subject in the Suttas.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Meindzai
meindzai wrote:These days I choose to think in probabilities rather than whether things are possible or not. The probability that any species will be able to overcome the limitations of physics, before destroying themselves as a civilization or their world dying- highly improbable. Aliens actually overcoming the mind boggling limitations of physics, traveling trillions of light years in highly manueverable spacecraft - and then crashing in a corn field? Really, quite highly unlikely.

As for the bible, most of the descriptions of supernatural events are borrowed from earlier myths from egyptian and Babylonian mythology, then re-edited to comply with monotheism.

-M
If you ever get an opportunity, try to get yourself a copy of Kurt Vonnegut's novel "The Sirens of Titan". Its a craic!
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..