Ajahn Chah...

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Ajahn Chah

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:38 am

Greetings,

Ajahn Chah has been a big influence on me, particularly early on so I thought I'd share the following website with you...

http://www.ajahnchah.org/

... and personally recommend the following PDF containing what I believe are a full collection of his recorded Dhamma talks

http://www.ajahnchah.org/pdf/the_teachi ... ah_web.pdf

He doesn't always speak with precision regarding terminology but he speaks from experiential wisdom... of that I have no doubt.

Youtube video of Ajahn Chah: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu7mtlbVBOA

Metta,
Retro.
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Ajahn Chah...

Postby appicchato » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:12 pm

Many postings are relating to Ajahn Chah, just thought I'd mention that next week will be start of the annual commemoration of his birth at Wat Pa Pong...the 19th I think...Ajahn Sumedho, and other notable 'Foresters' (as well as large crowds) make the trip...it's a big deal...if anyone has a link to any details it would be appreciated...

Be well... ;)
Attachments
FM_W07_LPChah.jpg
FM_W07_LPChah.jpg (13.87 KiB) Viewed 1034 times
appicchato

Re: Ajahn Chah...

Postby christopher::: » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:45 pm

Hello Venerable. I tried to find some information online but could not find anything. The one area of the Wat Nong Pah Pong website that looked like it might have info hasn't been completed, unfortunately. Maybe everyone is too busy?? Or... all those who need to know already know what they need to know and are coming?!

:geek:

http://www.watnongpahpong.org/intrownpp.php
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
christopher:::

Postby gavesako » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:23 pm

Hello,

Ajahn Chah's memorial day falls on the 16th January, and I expect Ajahn Sumedho and other Western monks to be in Ubon for this occasion. I have myself been present for the circumambulation of the Stupa at Wat Nong Pag Pong only once but it is a powerful occasion to see how many people a simple forest monk from Isaan has managed to inspire to practise the Dhamma.

Here is a reflection from last year:
http://forestwisdom.blogspot.com/2008/0 ... l-day.html

Bhikkhu Gavesako
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

ajahnchah.org - Teachings of Ajahn Chah in many languages
Dhammatube - Videos on Buddhist practice
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
gavesako

Postby appicchato » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:13 pm

Thank you friend...
appicchato

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:30 am

Greetings,

Yes, as venerable Gavesako mentions, it is the 16th January. How do I know this? It's courtesy of the following calendar that venerable Appicchato kindly brought to my attention late last year...

2009 Forest Sangha Calendar
http://www.abhayagiri.org/pdf/books/200 ... ar_web.pdf

I have it printed out, stapled and pinned on my wall at work.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Jason » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:35 am

Food for the Heart was one of the first books on Buddhism that really struck me in a profound way.
"Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya" (AN 7.58).

leaves in the hand (Buddhist-related blog)
leaves in the forest (non-Buddhist related blog)
Jason

Postby appicchato » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:00 am

Elohim wrote:Food for the Heart was one of the first books on Buddhism that really struck me in a profound way.

No doubt about it...one of the best!...
appicchato

Postby gavesako » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:21 am

Today is Ajahn Chah's memorial day (the day of his passing away). Here are some pictures from the celebrations at his Stupa in Thailand:
http://picasaweb.google.com/watnongpahpong/WatNongPahPong#

And the video "Ajahn Chah Speaks":
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RPN-Lc6lBi4
Bhikkhu Gavesako

gavesako

Postby retrofuturist » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:10 am

Greetings venerable Gavesako,

Thank you for posting the link to those wonderful photos. Seeing all those people, ordained and lay, assembled to pay respect the achievements of Ajahn Chah.

Metta,
Retro. :)

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby bodom » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:46 pm

Venerable Ajahn Chah :bow: :bow: :bow:

:namaste:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Re: Ajahn Chah

Postby Individual » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:25 pm

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

Ajahn Chah has been a big influence on me, particularly early on so I thought I'd share the following website with you...

http://www.ajahnchah.org/

... and personally recommend the following PDF containing what I believe are a full collection of his recorded Dhamma talks

http://www.ajahnchah.org/pdf/the_teachi ... ah_web.pdf

He doesn't always speak with precision regarding terminology but he speaks from experiential wisdom... of that I have no doubt.

Youtube video of Ajahn Chah: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu7mtlbVBOA

Metta,
Retro.

Ajahn Chah is a very nice teacher. :smile:
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Individual

Postby Cittasanto » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:54 pm

bodom_bad_boy wrote:Venerable Ajahn Chah :bow: :bow: :bow:

:namaste:

More than Agree :bow: :bow: :bow:

the First Monk I Met was Sayadaw U Nyanissara, and the first Book of Ajahn Chahs I read was Bodhinyana. Both Teachings were pretty much identical, put in different ways but emphasised the same thing, no holds barred approach. everything is Dhamma.
I actually thought of Ajahn Chah when I saw the Jedi smiley :jedi: as at the moment I am reading Unshakeable Peace where he says we are like warriors (not a direct quote) Page 52/3 of the copy I have in the mastering meditation section.
I can't wait to get all of his teachings and get them bound.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby clw_uk » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:30 am

I do thank Ajahn Chah a lot for helping me deepen my practice :bow: . A book of his that I have "Everything Arises, Everything passes away" is full of very good advice and teachings i would recomend it.

Metta
Craig
Open your mind and see, open your mind and rise. Shine the light of wisdom and see, don't wait till the end of time.
clw_uk

Postby Cittasanto » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:34 am

Hi CLW

clw_uk wrote:I do thank Ajahn Chah a lot for helping me deepen my practice :bow: . A book of his that I have "Everything Arises, Everything passes away" is full of very good advice and teachings i would recomend it.

Metta
Craig

I don't think there is a book of Ajahn Chahs I couldn't recomend! I have found pearls diamonds, saphires gold, safron, the lot in each of the books
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby gavesako » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:37 am

Listen to a recent talk by Ajahn Jayasaro:

"Recollection of Ajahn Chah"

http://www.thawsischool.com/dhamma_English/news/013.html

Bhikkhu Gavesako

gavesako

Return to General Theravāda discussion