Anyone here....

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
orangemod

Anyone here....

Post by orangemod »

...play a musical instrument?
I play drums and am learning the bass guitar. I get a lot of satisfaction out of it.
If you do, a picture would be kool. Maybe tell about your experience with playing.
This is a pic of my Tama Starclassic drum kit.
Metta
Dave

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tama_drums ... 892907782/
orangemod

Re: Anyone here....

Post by orangemod »

retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Orangemod,

I used to play drums but was never particularly good at it.

Most of the music I've made is entirely computer generated. I've done a fair bit of original material, some of which is here - http://www.myspace.com/herecomestroubleau" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What I tend to be better at though (because I can't sing!) is remixes of other people's songs. I've done remixes for some of my favourite bands including Spearmint, Spray, Jim's Super Stereoworld, Abdoujaparov, The Attery Squash, Deadbeat Radicals, Chris Chinchilla, Ooberman, Exile Inside as well a remix of Fatboy Slim's Star 69 that I did for a remix competition. A few of these have been released, most remain unreleased.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

In the 90's i sang and played guitar in punk bands
i also did experimental electronic music and had releases including work I did with Thurston Moore (sonic youth), and I scored a few films produced by Kim Henkel (Texas Chainsaw Massacre)

i have a new project underway, sorta
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Euclid

Post by Euclid »

I can play the melodica, but I find I generally lose... Aside from that, I like to do a bit of production on the computer, and play around with hardware whenever I get a chance to steal a friend's synth for an evening.
dspiewak

Post by dspiewak »

I went to college for music, for a little while. Most of my energies from ages 11-27 were spent on music. I was a double-bass performance major. I was fighting a losing battle, honestly. I was pretty good, but my level of mental maturity and my biology (I have webbed fingers) limited my potential development. I did not have the discipline to practice for at least 5 hours a day, nor the technique to stand out in an audition.

In a way, exposure to a good music education was extremely helpful later in life when I learned how to practice meditation. I know this sounds odd, but let me explain...

One of the most pleasant and rewarding classes I ever had was a Music Literature class. This is a class in which the students study pieces of music that have an important role in music history, or are strong examples of a particular style or idea. Scores are studied and many hours are spent listening. It was illuminating to have taken part in such a thing.

For me, music had always been something to which I was connected on a very emotional level. I loved it because of the overall effect a piece of music might have on moving my emotions. Music Literature class taught me that when these emotional effects are set aside, and the piece of music is examined very attentively, one can see that these emotional effects are masterfully constructed through the use of specific techniques. The effects of using sound to stimulate emotions reveals itself as sort of a murky science, one whose implications and effects are wide-ranging and difficult to know, and one that can become a very black art in the wrong hands. But more importantly, it conveys the knowledge that powerful emotional responses can be created from distinct occasions of sensory impact that can be observed through careful attention.

Now, when I practice my concentration, I can recall to mind the experience of listening to wonderful classical music recordings. Sore muscles, stray thoughts, movement of breath stop being mundane and start becoming exquisite.