If you aren't doing Vipassana...

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
yuuki

Re: If you aren't doing Vipassana...

Post by yuuki »

cooran wrote:You might be interested in acquiring these mp3's of a Retreat on Metta and Jhanas from the Bhavana Society:

Jhana Meditation Bhante Gunaratana
http://www.bhavanasociety.org/resource/ ... editation/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wow, these CDs look really awesome. I wonder if they're available electronically?

There is quite a bit of Bhante Gunaratana's work available online, so I'll check those sources out first. I know the Bhavana Society needs donations like every other organization, but I'd love to see it not solicited in the CD order form, and it seems that the appeal for donations is also the reason they aren't available for download. At the bottom it says "Please keep in mind the expense for international postage." ... well I'm in Japan and I could receive these electronically for much less cost. If it's about the bandwidth cost, there are many willing to host material like this free of cost.

(An aside, directed at no-one in particular:) Just because obligation is absent doesn't make me feel like I'm engaging in generosity. Strangely, I feel reluctant to pay or donate for free dhamma works, although I don't mind paying for movies, books, etc. I feel like the proper response to dhamma freely given is to take it seriously, practice heedfully, and give to others. Eventually maybe I will be in the position to pass along the dhamma I've learned.
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello yuuki,

They are available on the same website for download.
Just scroll down until you find them:
http://www.bhavanasociety.org/list/category/MP3s/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
drew

Post by drew »

Hello Yuuki,
I have found that not getting caught up in concepts (like Vipassana or Samatha) to be very useful when practicing meditation.
You say you sit and try not to accomplish anything.
This is a great place to start.
Expectations are a sure way to agitate the mind!
I find if I just use simple awareness (Sati) and stay with the breath, or with the body sensations (Vedana) once the sati increases, and try to remain equanimous (Upeka) with whatever arises (pain, pleasant sensations) then things naturally fall into place.
My concentration, mindfulness and equanimity increase without any effort, and once this happens I can turn my practice to realising the truth - impermanence, unsatisfactoriness and the impersonal nature of all phenomena (Anicca, dukkha and anatta).
I suggest you do an intensive retreat as a deep practice is all but impossible if you have a busy life full of responsibilities.
And the rest of the time treat your mind like a little puppy - once you realise you have been distracted gently pull it back to the breath.
If necessary breath harder than usual, or follow the breath in and out of the body.
As the mind gets concentrated focus on a smaller area (nostils are good).
Once you are practicing deeply you will find your whole body is constantly changing, and you can examine yourself like a scientist experimenting.
For me, as I said, this is only possible when doing intensive practice, the rest of the time I just try to be as mindful as possible and remain equanimous.
Good luck.
The Buddhadhamma is a real treasure, we are all so lucky :)
The gift of the Dhamma excels all gifts (DP354)
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

i agree with ajahn sujato here, other's may not, to each his own...

สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
bodom

Post by bodom »

I agree with Sujato. Meditate instead of arguing over meditation.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
cooran

Post by cooran »

Is that what you have been doing bodom?

Most of the responders in this thread has been discussing things and trying to help answer yuuki's question.
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
bodom

Post by bodom »

cooran wrote:Is that what you have been doing bodom?

Most of the responders in this thread has been discussing things and trying to help answer yuuki's question.
Im sorry? If you read my last posts you would see that i have asked some questions of my own and even posted a quote from Ajahn Chah in agreement with you. And even if i was arguing with you how would your last post to me benefited the O.P? It seems to me your last post would keep an imaginary argument going. Sorry for the misunderstanding

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
suanck

Post by suanck »

jcsuperstar wrote:i agree with ajahn sujato here, other's may not, to each his own...

Thanks for the link. I enjoy it! :-)

Suanck.
cooran

Post by cooran »

bodom wrote:
cooran wrote:Is that what you have been doing bodom?

Im sorry? If you read my last posts you would see that i have asked some questions of my own and even posted a quote from Ajahn Chah in agreement with you. And even if i was arguing with you how would your last post to me benefited the O.P? It seems to me your last post would keep an imaginary argument going. Sorry for the misunderstanding

Maybe there is some misunderstanding ....? :shrug:

My post above was asking a question about this post of yours immediately preceding it ... it wasn't making a statement about you:
bodom said: I agree with Sujato. Meditate instead of arguing over meditation.
drew

Post by drew »

Wow. I have to find time to visit the Santi Forest Monastery.
Great to see that vid :)
Thanks.
The gift of the Dhamma excels all gifts (DP354)
Laurens

Post by Laurens »

bodom wrote:Meditate instead of arguing over meditation.
Quote of the century [from a Buddhist perspective at least]
"If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
yuuki

Post by yuuki »

cooran wrote:Hello yuuki,

They are available on the same website for download.
Just scroll down until you find them:
http://www.bhavanasociety.org/list/category/MP3s/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

metta
Chris
Thank you, Chris!

I feel like a jerk now. :)