OMG it's a rebirth thread

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.

OMG it's a rebirth thread

Postby Ngawang Drolma. » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:03 pm

Hi friends,

I stumbled across this idea in my own head this morning. Please tell me what you think, and feel free to provide any relevant suttas.

I think I finally understand people's objection to rebirth, or even post-mortem continuation.

Anything that we would consider me, mine, not-mine, etc. etc. is going to decay, rot, and disappear. In fact it's happening right at this moment, as I write this. There is nothing that is mine, and even post-mortem continuation implies that something is continuing. So it is easy to see how people would mistake rebirth or continuation as a form of eternalism.

But if you spend time concentrating deeply on impermenance, it becomes obvious that when we use the word emptiness we're also making reference to the immeasurably important truth of impermenance.

Therefore, when we talk about rebirth in any form, we're talking about becoming. And craving. Though any shred of "I" is subject to change, decay, conditioning, and disapating. What provokes the continuation of samsara and birth is the craving to become. Therefore, that the Buddha taught literal rebrith is fine, if one considers that there's nothing to re-anything.

I will not have future lives, and I do not have past lives. And I don't have this life. But out of ignorance there is an ongoing process of becoming that is rooted in dependent origination.

All input is appreciated :namaste:
Last edited by Ngawang Drolma. on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Ngawang Drolma.
 
Posts: 805
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:38 pm

Re: OMG it's a rebirth thread

Postby clw_uk » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:08 pm

Very well put :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

The problem that comes with rebirth is first of all the name itself, re-birth envisions that "something" births again when if there is birth again it would be new. People tend to envision themselves in the doctrine of rebirth, you will notice they say "I will be reborn" etc. They mistakenly take some part of it as self if they are aware of it or not. Its funny when you say there is no rebirth to a buddhist who adamantly believes in it they will say you slander the dhamma or that you are telling lies, they get upset or irritated by your words, its because they need it, but why need something that is not-self? Because on some level they cling to it as self. If you really grasp not-self you can comfortably say "There is no rebirth".

This is very good to bear in mind, nothing is ours,

not ours now, wont be ours then :smile:


:namaste:
Last edited by clw_uk on Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
“ Your mind is likewise blocked. But the right road awaits you still. Cast out your doubts, your fears and your desires, let go of grief and of hope as well, for where these rule , then the mind is their subject." Boetius
User avatar
clw_uk
 
Posts: 3479
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:36 am
Location: Wales, United Kingdom

Re: OMG it's a rebirth thread

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:10 pm

Greetings Drolma,

:thumbsup:

(Just be careful who you say that around... who knows how they'll misinterpret it :spy: )

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)


Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7


Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
User avatar
retrofuturist
Site Admin
 
Posts: 14672
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: OMG it's a rebirth thread

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:18 pm

Greetings Drolma,
Drolma wrote:even post-mortem continuation implies that something is continuing.

There is continuation, but it's nothing different to the "ongoing process of becoming that is rooted in dependent origination" which you mention in your post. This becoming occurs now and isn't stopped by conventional death. Hence the term (which I started using, even though it's not an actual Theravadin expression per se) 'post-mortem continuation'.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)


Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7


Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
User avatar
retrofuturist
Site Admin
 
Posts: 14672
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: OMG it's a rebirth thread

Postby Individual » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:19 pm

Drolma wrote:Hi friends,

I stumbled across this idea in my own head this morning. Please tell me what you think, and feel free to provide any relevant suttas.

I think I finally understand people's objection to rebirth, or even post-mortem continuation.

Anything that we would consider me, mine, not-mine, etc. etc. is going to decay, rot, and disappear. In fact it's happening right at this moment, as I write this. There is nothing that is mine, and even post-mortem continuation implies that something is continuing. So it is easy to see how people would mistake rebirth or continuation as a form of eternalism.

But if you spend time concentrating deeply on impermenance, it becomes obvious that when we use the word emptiness we're also making reference to the immeasurably important truth of impermenance. I saw element write that once and I delighted in it.

Therefore, when we talk about rebirth in any form, we're talking about becoming. And craving. Though any shred of "I" is subject to change, decay, conditioning, and disapating. What provokes the continuation of samsara and birth is the craving to become. Therefore, that the Buddha taught literal rebrith is fine, if one considers that there's nothing to re-anything.

I will not have future lives, and I do not have past lives. And I don't have this life. But out of ignorance there is an ongoing process of becoming that is rooted in dependent origination.

All input is appreciated :namaste:

Congratulations. You've just figured out why the contentious, drawn-out debates over rebirth are pointless. It's always just a debate between subtle annihilationism ("Metaphorical rebirth", "Modern rebirth") and subtle eternalism ("Literal rebirth", "Traditional rebirth"). If you recognize notself and impermanence clearly, the question, "Where do I go at death?" becomes meaningless. :)

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Drolma,
Drolma wrote:even post-mortem continuation implies that something is continuing.

There is continuation, but it's nothing different to the "ongoing process of becoming that is rooted in dependent origination". This becoming occurs now and isn't stopped by conventional death. Hence the term (which I started using, even though it's not a Theravadin expression per se) 'post-mortem continuation'.

Metta,
Retro. :)

Continuation of causality, however. Not atta or vinnana. Ayu (vitality) and vinnana (consciousness) cease at death, without remainder.

With metta :heart:,
Individual
Last edited by Individual on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Individual
 
Posts: 1970
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:19 am

Re: OMG it's a rebirth thread

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:20 pm

Best Rebirth Thread Ever.

Image

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)


Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7


Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
User avatar
retrofuturist
Site Admin
 
Posts: 14672
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: OMG it's a rebirth thread

Postby Ngawang Drolma. » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:33 pm

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Drolma,
Drolma wrote:even post-mortem continuation implies that something is continuing.

There is continuation, but it's nothing different to the "ongoing process of becoming that is rooted in dependent origination" which you mention in your post. This becoming occurs now and isn't stopped by conventional death. Hence the term (which I started using, even though it's not an actual Theravadin expression per se) 'post-mortem continuation'.

Metta,
Retro. :)


Yes Retro, thanks. There is no thing that rebirths or continues or becomes. There is no essense to be found. Rather, there is a dynamic process of becoming that continues through birth, old age, sickness, death, birth, old age, sickness, death, birth, old age, sickness, and death ad nauseum.

:namaste:
User avatar
Ngawang Drolma.
 
Posts: 805
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:38 pm

Re: OMG it's a rebirth thread

Postby Ngawang Drolma. » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:35 pm

Continuation of causality, however. Not atta or vinnana. Ayu (vitality) and vinnana (consciousness) cease at death, without remainder.


:goodpost:
User avatar
Ngawang Drolma.
 
Posts: 805
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:38 pm

Re: OMG it's a rebirth thread

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:44 pm

Greetings Individual,
Individual wrote:Continuation of causality, however. Not atta or vinnana. Ayu (vitality) and vinnana (consciousness) cease at death, without remainder.

The final moment of consciousness in this life conditions the first moment of consciousness for another conventional being... like that old analogy about lighting a candle with the light of another candle.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)


Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7


Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
User avatar
retrofuturist
Site Admin
 
Posts: 14672
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: OMG it's a rebirth thread

Postby kc2dpt » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:52 pm

Drolma wrote:Therefore, that the Buddha taught literal rebrith is fine, if one considers that there's nothing to re-anything.

I heard somewhere he did not teach "rebirth" but rather "again birth" as in "For those who have not made an end to craving, after death there will again be birth."

retrofuturist wrote:Hence the term (which I started using, even though it's not an actual Theravadin expression per se) 'post-mortem continuation'.

Also good.

Individual wrote:vinnana (consciousness) cease at death, without remainder.

It also ceases every moment of life, without remainder.
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
User avatar
kc2dpt
 
Posts: 956
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:48 pm

Re: OMG it's a rebirth thread

Postby clw_uk » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:57 pm

Peter wrote:
Drolma wrote:Therefore, that the Buddha taught literal rebrith is fine, if one considers that there's nothing to re-anything.

I heard somewhere he did not teach "rebirth" but rather "again birth" as in "For those who have not made an end to craving, after death there will again be birth."

retrofuturist wrote:Hence the term (which I started using, even though it's not an actual Theravadin expression per se) 'post-mortem continuation'.

Also good.



I believe that this lies more in line with the buddhadhamma than "rebirth" as i stated earlier the word itself implies that something that has gone comes again into being, RE-birth.

One problem i find though with explanations of continuation is the "rebirth" linking consciousness. Isnt consciounsness dependent on Name and Form so i find it hard to see how a rebirth linking consciouness could exsist because it would need name and form which would mean that name and form get taken into another existence after physical death?

Anyone who could clear this up for me i would be very grateful :namaste:
“ Your mind is likewise blocked. But the right road awaits you still. Cast out your doubts, your fears and your desires, let go of grief and of hope as well, for where these rule , then the mind is their subject." Boetius
User avatar
clw_uk
 
Posts: 3479
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:36 am
Location: Wales, United Kingdom

Re: OMG it's a rebirth thread

Postby Ngawang Drolma. » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:58 pm

All of a sudden it makes sense why they say "Meditate like your hair was on fire." This very moment has already decayed.
User avatar
Ngawang Drolma.
 
Posts: 805
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:38 pm

Re: OMG it's a rebirth thread

Postby Ngawang Drolma. » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:02 pm

clw_uk wrote:
Peter wrote:
Drolma wrote:Therefore, that the Buddha taught literal rebrith is fine, if one considers that there's nothing to re-anything.

I heard somewhere he did not teach "rebirth" but rather "again birth" as in "For those who have not made an end to craving, after death there will again be birth."

retrofuturist wrote:Hence the term (which I started using, even though it's not an actual Theravadin expression per se) 'post-mortem continuation'.

Also good.



I believe that this lies more in line with the buddhadhamma than "rebirth" as i stated earlier the word itself implies that something that has gone comes again into being, RE-birth.

One problem i find though with explanations of continuation is the "rebirth" linking consciousness. Isnt consciounsness dependent on Name and Form so i find it hard to see how a rebirth linking consciouness could exsist because it would need name and form which would mean that name and form get taken into another existence after physical death?

Anyone who could clear this up for me i would be very grateful :namaste:


Our skandhas decay and become, including formation. But there was nothing to arise or fall to begin with; the skandhas are purely conditioned out of craving. There is no beginning or end, birth or death. There is only a deluded process and formation is part of it. I think that's why the Buddha didn't teach what we are, but what we're not.

This is what I think, please feel free to correct me, everyone.

:namaste:
Last edited by Ngawang Drolma. on Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Ngawang Drolma.
 
Posts: 805
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:38 pm

Re: OMG it's a rebirth thread

Postby clw_uk » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:02 pm

Drolma wrote:All of a sudden it makes sense why they say "Meditate like your hair was on fire." This very moment has already decayed.



Indeed :smile: I like to think of existence like a card pyramid, existence of anything in any form is built on numerous conditions that when arranged together form something but that formation is so unstable that at any moment it will all come tumbling down and break apart.

Just one of my own similies there lol

Metta
Craig
“ Your mind is likewise blocked. But the right road awaits you still. Cast out your doubts, your fears and your desires, let go of grief and of hope as well, for where these rule , then the mind is their subject." Boetius
User avatar
clw_uk
 
Posts: 3479
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:36 am
Location: Wales, United Kingdom

Re: OMG it's a rebirth thread

Postby Ngawang Drolma. » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:17 pm

Peter wrote:
Drolma wrote:Therefore, that the Buddha taught literal rebrith is fine, if one considers that there's nothing to re-anything.

I heard somewhere he did not teach "rebirth" but rather "again birth" as in "For those who have not made an end to craving, after death there will again be birth."


Cool, thanks Peter :namaste: I like it.
User avatar
Ngawang Drolma.
 
Posts: 805
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:38 pm

Re: OMG it's a rebirth thread

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:21 pm

Greetings Craig,

clw_uk wrote:One problem i find though with explanations of continuation is the "rebirth" linking consciousness. Isnt consciounsness dependent on Name and Form so i find it hard to see how a rebirth linking consciouness could exsist because it would need name and form which would mean that name and form get taken into another existence after physical death?

Anyone who could clear this up for me i would be very grateful :namaste:


There is a physical base for consciousness, but the physical base of consciousness is subject to impermanence (aniccata) too. If we accept that consciousness is not itself physical, yet that it is dependent on the physical, we can also accept that consciousness needn't be constrained by the laws of the physical universe. Thus one moment of consciousness in this bundle of aggregates, can condition a moment of consciousness in a newly conceived bundle of aggregates, so long as there is a physical base for consciousness to arise.

Hence perhaps the discussion we had on "gandhabba" here (viewtopic.php?f=13&t=255&start=0)

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)


Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7


Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
User avatar
retrofuturist
Site Admin
 
Posts: 14672
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: OMG it's a rebirth thread

Postby clw_uk » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:23 pm

Thanks retrofuturist,

I had feeling this had been touched upon before but thought id ask just in case :namaste:
“ Your mind is likewise blocked. But the right road awaits you still. Cast out your doubts, your fears and your desires, let go of grief and of hope as well, for where these rule , then the mind is their subject." Boetius
User avatar
clw_uk
 
Posts: 3479
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:36 am
Location: Wales, United Kingdom

Re: OMG it's a rebirth thread

Postby kc2dpt » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:09 am

clw_uk wrote:Isnt consciounsness dependent on Name and Form[?]

Yes.

so i find it hard to see how a rebirth linking consciouness could exsist because it would need name and form which would mean that name and form get taken into another existence after physical death?

Anyone who could clear this up for me i would be very grateful :namaste:

The name and form for the death-consciousness is the dying body.
The name and form for the linking-consciousness is the newly conceived body (aka union of egg and sperm).
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
User avatar
kc2dpt
 
Posts: 956
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:48 pm

Re: OMG it's a rebirth thread

Postby mikenz66 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:38 am

clw_uk wrote:One problem i find though with explanations of continuation is the "rebirth" linking consciousness. Isnt consciounsness dependent on Name and Form so i find it hard to see how a rebirth linking consciouness could exsist because it would need name and form which would mean that name and form get taken into another existence after physical death?

There's no form in the formless realms...

Metta
Mike
User avatar
mikenz66
 
Posts: 10378
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:37 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: OMG it's a rebirth thread

Postby dumb bonbu » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:49 am

Continuation of causality, however. Not atta or vinnana. Ayu (vitality) and vinnana (consciousness) cease at death, without remainder.


beginner's question - i'm slowly making my way through Abhidhamma in Daily Life, where i'm starting to learn about cittas and that no two cittas arise together, rather a citta rises, fades and then another immediately follows. judging by what you've said though Individual, i think my understanding must be wrong somewhere. i believed this process described helps explain rebirth as the ongoing process of cittas arising and fading after rupa has ceased. but if vinnana ceases at death without remainder then this would seem to contradict my understanding of the process being ongoing. can anyone point towards where i'm going wrong? thankyou :thanks:
Monks, even if bandits were to carve you up savagely, limb by limb, with a two-handled saw, he among you who let his heart get angered even at that would not be doing my bidding.
MN 21
User avatar
dumb bonbu
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:37 pm
Location: Hull, East Yorkshire

Next

Return to Discovering Theravāda

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest