How to deny Atman - Help defending Buddhadhamma

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Sekha

Re: How to deny Atman - Help defending Buddhadhamma

Post by Sekha »

- What is the cause, the reason, Master Kaccana, why ascetics dispute with ascetics?
- It is, brahmin, because of lust for views, because of adherence, bondage, greed, obsession and cleaving to views, that ascetics dispute with ascetics.

AN 2.38

what is the point of engaging into disputes?
Where knowledge ends, religion begins. - B. Disraeli

http://www.buddha-vacana.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Dukkhanirodha wrote:- What is the cause, the reason, Master Kaccana, why ascetics dispute with ascetics?
- It is, brahmin, because of lust for views, because of adherence, bondage, greed, obsession and cleaving to views, that ascetics dispute with ascetics.

AN 2.38

Probably none; however, there a point in trying to understand the Dhamma and there is a point in pointing out misrepresentations of the Dhamma.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
meindzai

Post by meindzai »

Dukkhanirodha wrote:- What is the cause, the reason, Master Kaccana, why ascetics dispute with ascetics?

AN 2.38

To clarify the truth.

The Buddha engaged quite frequently in debates. Of course, as it is recorded in the canon, he always won. :)

-M
JD32

Post by JD32 »

Read Gopi Krishna's account to see what happens to meditators in a Hindu context. They inevitably reify what are undoubtedly arupa states as "God" and/or "Self:"

http://www.om-guru.com/html/saints/gopi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ecomall.com/greenshopping/gopinterview.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ajaan Chah's first experience of an arupa was powerful, but luckily he was skeptical about it. Buddhist meditative theory makes all the difference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1oK4Vt_ntY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
shjohnk

Post by shjohnk »

It seems your friend is very attached to his view. There must be some strong reasons for this (I guess 700 million Hindus have to have some reason for being Hindus!) and it's unlikely he'll ever change his mind about it. Best to agree to disagree and get on with one's own practice. If the Buddha couldn't convince all of the Hindus he met, how can we? :) The best example we can set is practicing well, IMO.
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

shjohnk wrote:If the Buddha couldn't convince all of the Hindus he met
At the risk of being facetious I HAVE to ask: Did the Buddha have a time machine? Ah, must be an abhinna (sp?) I don't know about :)

Edit: My understanding (and I'm probably wrong) is that what we call Hinduism is a rather complicated blend of Brahmanism a la Vedas and samanic ideas that the Brahmans may have adopted... some of which (as I recall hearing in a Bhikkhu Bodhi lecture) came after the Buddha, possibly as a direct response to the Dhammapada (I'm looking at you, Bhagavad Gita). I've not, however, studied ancient indian religious development enough to make a judgement, I just think calling the Brahmans 'Hindus' is a bit of a stretch.
Paññāsikhara

Post by Paññāsikhara »

Mawkish1983 wrote:
shjohnk wrote:If the Buddha couldn't convince all of the Hindus he met
At the risk of being facetious I HAVE to ask: Did the Buddha have a time machine? Ah, must be an abhinna (sp?) I don't know about :)

Edit: My understanding (and I'm probably wrong) is that what we call Hinduism is a rather complicated blend of Brahmanism a la Vedas and samanic ideas that the Brahmans may have adopted... some of which (as I recall hearing in a Bhikkhu Bodhi lecture) came after the Buddha, possibly as a direct response to the Dhammapada (I'm looking at you, Bhagavad Gita). I've not, however, studied ancient indian religious development enough to make a judgement, I just think calling the Brahmans 'Hindus' is a bit of a stretch.
Yeah, one could say that, in a kind of technical way.

Or, one can say "hindu" means "over that side of the Indus river" (which is apparently what the English meant when they coined the phrase), which means that even Buddhism itself, not just vedic brahmanic and sramanic stuff is also all "hindu". Though, I prefer to write this as "hindoo" just like "boodha".
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.