How to explain death/rebirth to a child?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Butrfly_Nirvana

How to explain death/rebirth to a child?

Post by Butrfly_Nirvana »

While I've found several articles and excerpts helpful in explaining to myself (and I agree with them), I was wondering how do I translate all of that into something a child could comprehend? What is the best way to explain it without causing more confusion? I don't think my children will understand consciousness, and all of that... Basically I get questions like "can I come back as an animal?" "will I remember mommy and daddy?" etc. If we are 'soul-less', then what are we (in terms they can sort of grasp)...? Sorry if this is posted elsewhere! Also, if there is a children's book on the topic I'd love to find one!

:namaste:
Abyss

Re: How to explain death/rebirth to a child?

Post by Abyss »

Maybe the Jataka tales are what you want. They are quite suitable for children and have a moral.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

maybe this will help!
http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/buddhism/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but do you understand these or accept?
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

Abyss wrote:Maybe the Jataka tales are what you want. They are quite suitable for children and have a moral.
Also:

http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/jataka_tv1.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.sacred-texts.com/bud/jt/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How old are the kids?

I don't know that a kid under, say, 10 would really understand rebirth. There are a lot of adults that don't understand rebirth. But all children should learn about death (keep 'em in line, buwahahaha). Just keep it gentle by pointing out death when it is visible. Explain that all things end: like day turns to night, so life changes to death. Encourage kids to observe the first precept. When they take to stomping bugs, ask them questions in an attempt to get them to empathize with the bugs, and with those that have died. My own young kids understood, and then became protective of small animals. They begin to understand that things die, and that all beings want to avoid death. Important lessons.

As for rebirth, I would depersonalize the idea if they're really young. Don't teach them that 'they' will be reborn. Teach about how other beings are reborn, and how principals of virtue affect such things. When they get old enough to form conclusions of their own, then talk about it.

EDIT: I keep adding to this. Sorry.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

thereductor wrote: EDIT: I keep adding to this. Sorry.
Don't apologise - you're doing really well. :smile:
Your point about the age of the children is particularly important. It has to be really simple if they are under 5. They might just understand a phrase like 'the part of you that makes you yourself' at about that age and understand that it continues in some way. Anything much more than that - particularly the difference between Buddhist and Christian beliefs about what happens after death - won't make sense to them until they are, as you say, at least 10.

Kim
Butrfly_Nirvana

Thank you all for your help! I know this is all going to be very useful. My kids are 7, 3 and 1..so still fairly young, but around here adults like to make references to "God", "Jesus" etc, so I wanted to be sure my kids had a solid education in that respect. While I try to deter people from talking to my kids about that stuff, I know that it's my job to guide them at home first.

Reductor

Post by Reductor »

Kim O'Hara wrote:
thereductor wrote: EDIT: I keep adding to this. Sorry.
Don't apologise - you're doing really well. :smile:
Thanks. I appreciate that.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Butrfly_Nirvana
Our family had an experience nearly a year ago when a much loved family pet was euthanized.
When we talked to our eight-year-old son we just gave him the facts in a loving and supportive way.
It was a traumatic experience and I didn't think it was the right time to introduce causality and rebirth and either confuse him or give him false hope from an incomplete understanding. When he is a little older and a little more capable of understanding the subtleties of the Dhamma, I'll introduce it to him.
I hope that is of benefit.

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Butrfly_Nirvana

Ben: Thank you for your help.

I guess one of my worries is that living where we do teachers often allow their beliefs to enter into their teaching lessons. But I suppose we'll cross those bridges as we get to them!
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Good idea Buterfly Nirvana. I think with younger children there are topics where we should be led by them, in other words answer their questions as they are asked, And answer them truthfully but simply. I dont often quote Richard Dawkins.....but I dont think we should condition our children into belief systems, and at a young age that is all Rebirth can be , a belief. There's plenty of time for that later.

:anjali:
notself

Post by notself »

Take your child to see Lion King or rent the DVD. The circle of life is rebirth. You don't have to get into why one wants to end rebirth until much much later.
Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he is indeed the noblest victor who conquers himself. ---Dhp 103
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Butrfly_Nirvana,
Butrfly_Nirvana wrote:Ben: Thank you for your help.

I guess one of my worries is that living where we do teachers often allow their beliefs to enter into their teaching lessons. But I suppose we'll cross those bridges as we get to them!
Especially while they are young, I think you will have a greater impact on your kids development and understanding of the world than your children's teachers. You will just need to counter any embedded Christian message that your kids come home with. And you can counter it by encouraging your kids to think for themselves, to question everything but also explain that some people believe in things in the absence of any evidence. In your other thread I said something about teaching my kids that a belief in God or Jesus is no different to a belief in the easter bunny. People believe in those things to make themselves feel a bit better. And believing in something doesn't make it right or real. If you've got a great relationship with your kids, which I am sure you have, they'll listen to you.
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
bodom

Post by bodom »

notself wrote:Take your child to see Lion King or rent the DVD. The circle of life is rebirth. You don't have to get into why one wants to end rebirth until much much later.
Excellent advice.

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
notself

Post by notself »

Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he is indeed the noblest victor who conquers himself. ---Dhp 103
Butrfly_Nirvana

Thank you all so much! I can't believe I didn't think of the Lion King! lol

So many great suggestions and thoughts!