Homosexuality

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Homosexuality

Post by DNS »

I think there is a Mahayana sutra forbidding those acts, but not in the Pali Canon (except for monastics, who are celibate), which could suggest that they are acceptable for lay people, keeping in mind that not everything permissible is necessarily wholesome, as retro mentioned (addiction possibilities, for example).
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings David,

They'd all be sexual misconduct for a monk.

None of them would be sexual misconduct for a lay follwer, taking into account the caveats mentioned above by others.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Jason

Post by Jason »

David,
davcuts wrote:Do the suttas state anal and oral sex is sexual misconduct? What about masturbation do the suttas consider that sexual misconduct?
To begin with, I should make it clear that Buddhist precepts are not equivalent to commandments in that precepts are training rules that are voluntarily undertaken rather than edicts or commands dictated by a higher power and/or authority. In essence, these precepts are undertaken to protect oneself, as well as others, from the results of unwholesome actions. Actions are considered unwholesome when they arise out of the mental defilements of greed, hatred and delusion.

In regard to Buddhist sexual ethics, the third precept states: "I undertake the precept to refrain from sexual misconduct." That, of course, will naturally lead one to the question, "What is the definition of sexual misconduct?" To answer that question, however, we must take into account the other four precepts. In other words, the five precepts are an intergrated whole, and each precept supports the others. The other four precepts are (1) to refrain from harming living beings, (2) to refrain from taking what is not given, (3) to refrain from false speech and (4) to refrain from taking intoxicants that lead to carelessness.

Therefore, generally speaking, sexual misconduct means any sexual conduct that involves violence, manipulation and/or deceit. As the Ven. S. Dhammika elaborates, "If we use trickery, emotional blackmail or force to compel someone to have sex with us, then this is sexual misconduct. Adultery is also a form of sexual misconduct because when we marry we promise our spouse that we will be loyal to them. When we commit adultery we break that promise and betray that trust. Sex should be an expression of love and intimacy between two people and when it is it contributes to our mental and emotional well-being."

To summarize, from what I have been taught by my teachers, as well as from what I have read in the suttas, sexual misconduct includes any sexual activity that leads to self-affliction, to the affliction of others or to both, or that involves any person who is (1) already in a committed relationship (e.g., engaged, married, etc.), (2) protected by law (e.g., under age, etc.), or (3) under religious vows entailing celibacy (e.g., monks, nuns, etc.). So, in general, sex between consenting persons of legal age who are not already in committed relationships and have not taken vows of celibacy is not considered misconduct in Theravada.

One reason for this that I think should be noted is that, in Theravadin countries, marriage is seen as a secular contract as opposed to a sacred union ordained by a higher power. Marriage is certainly taken seriously, and it is still seen as a deep and powerful commitment to be sure, but it is not considered to be a prerequisite for sex. Personally, I think that a lot of the views concerning marriage and sex are influenced more by cultural, religious and social norms than by any universal constant. For a few quick references, please see Buddhist Sexual Ethics, Good Question, Good Answer and The Healing Power of the Precepts.

In regard to anal and oral sex, there is a prohibition against sex concerning "inappropriate orifices" (i.e. anal and oral) that can be found in Vasubandhu's Abhidharmakosabhasyam, as well as a few other Sarvastivadin texts, but there is no such prohibition found in any Theravadin source. As for masturbation, nowhere in the Pali Canon is masturbation labeled as sexual misconduct. I repeat: nowhere in the Pali Canon is masturbation or homosexuality labeled as sexual misconduct.

Jason
Last edited by Jason on Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya" (AN 7.58).

leaves in the hand (Buddhist-related blog)
leaves in the forest (non-Buddhist related blog)
davcuts

Post by davcuts »

Elohim wrote:In regard to anal and oral sex, there is a prohibition against sex concerning "inappropriate orifices" (i.e. anal and oral) that can be found in Vasubandhu's Abhidharmakosabhasyam, as well as a few other Sarvastivadin texts, but there is no such prohibition found in any Theravadin source. As for masturbation, nowhere in the Pali Canon is masturbation labeled as sexual misconduct. I repeat: nowhere in the Pali Canon is masturbation or homosexuality labeled as sexual misconduct.

Jason
This is good to know. It sounds like there is no Southern Baptist guilt when it comes to sex with Theravada. Tibetan Buddhism however views sex much like the Pope. It's only intended for those who are trying to conceive. It's best to lose the attachment to sex I know, but with the Theravada it seems you can have sex and not feel like a sinner for doing so.

Thanks,
David
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

He avoids unlawful sexual intercourse, abstains from it. He has no intercourse with girls who are still under the protection of father or mother, brother, sister, or relative; nor with married women, nor female convicts (?-or nuns); nor lastly with betrothed girls.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... el225.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-this is what I remember about the third precept- sorry not sure where in the suttas the quote comes from- doesnt seem to be easily available on the net- possibly a description of bodily misconduct.
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha