8 and 10 precepts - Pali mp3?

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries

Moderator: Mahavihara moderator

8 and 10 precepts - Pali mp3?

Postby proto » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:40 am

Sawatdee,

Does anyone know a site where one can download an audio file with the 8 and/or the 10 novice precepts chanted in Pali?. Preferably of the kind where a leader chants one followed by an audience repeating it, where-after the leader chants the next one, etc --- perfect for learning. I've got the words in writing and the 5 precepts in chanting already. (These later can be downloaded from http://www.buddhanet.net/audio-chant.htm if interested).

Joe
proto

Re: 8 and 10 precepts - Pali mp3?

Postby Cittasanto » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:50 am

Hi Joe,
welcome to dhamma wheel! you may want to post an introduction in the introductions thread?

This site may help
http://www.chantpali.org/refuges_precep ... amaka_sila

and this thread may be useful for you
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3012&start=0
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby cooran » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:15 pm

Good site Manapa!

and another one:

Scroll down to the second chant from the foot of the page:
Description:
This is the chant for taking the Three Refuges and Five Precepts
http://www.bswa.org/modules/mydownloads ... php?cid=17

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby Cittasanto » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:21 pm

Hi Chris
I have a feeling the OP link is the BSWA track?
I am sure that is where I downloaded it ages ago?
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby proto » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:17 am

Manapa wrote:...
This site may help

Thanks for the link - even better than what I were looking for.

There seems to be some "glitches" in the chants in the soundtracks on both the bswa-version and the version on chantpali.org. On the buddhanet.net page there is a technically perfect version of the 5 precepts (nbr 4 from the top) which also illustrates that there are several different styles of Pali chanting.
proto

Postby Cittasanto » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:50 am

proto wrote:
Manapa wrote:...
This site may help

Thanks for the link - even better than what I were looking for.

There seems to be some "glitches" in the chants in the soundtracks on both the bswa-version and the version on chantpali.org. On the buddhanet.net page there is a technically perfect version of the 5 precepts (nbr 4 from the top) which also illustrates that there are several different styles of Pali chanting.

I know of three different styles, sri lankan, thai, and burmese but think there may be one style in every country Theravada has developed through history that has or had its own independant language? maybe a more knowledgable friend may be able to clarify better, but the three mentioned are the main ones people talk about at least.
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Cittasanto

Return to Pali