My Shrine

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice etc.

My Shrine

Postby theravada_guy » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:36 am

Greetings everyone,

I just tonight got my shrine up and, mostly finished. I still need to get a little stand to place the Buddha rupa on and maybe a new candle holder. But, other than those two things, it's done! The quality may not be so great, considering it was taken on a cell phone and the lighting was bad, even with the flash turned on. But you can get the basic idea.
Attachments
shrine.jpg
shrine.jpg (14.44 KiB) Viewed 849 times
With metta,

Justin
theravada_guy

Re: My Shrine

Postby bodom » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:49 am

Very simple just like mine. I like it. :thumbsup:

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby Ben » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:17 am

Well done TG!
Thanks for sharing.

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global Relief

Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby Tex » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:40 am

bodom wrote:Very simple just like mine. I like it.

Mine too, utilitarian for the win!

I especially like the rupa in that pic.
"The serene and peaceful mind is the true epitome of human achievement."-- Ajahn Chah, Living Dhamma

"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi
Tex

Postby theravada_guy » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:19 am

Tex,

Yeah, I like it too. When I found it on eBay it was perfect. It's nine inches tall, faux bronze metal. The mudra is the normal position the hands are in during insight meditation, rather than the zazen mudra. They described it as vintage, and it does have some wear on it. But it was affordable and it spoke to me, so I bought it.

bodom,

Hehe, yeah, simple for me...I wouldn't have it any other way. Like I said, the only other thing that's going on there is a stand for the rupa. Even it is going to be simple. At first I wasn't going to get the stand, but then I got the flowers and they are almost equal height to the rupa's head, so I knew I had to get something. And, right now, I don't have anything.

All in all the shrine is setup on a dresser of drawers type thing at the head of my bed. There are still a few things that are set higher than the rupa, but it's the best I could do. I know when I sit down in front of it, it's a perfect setting when looking up at it. I tried to follow the instructions in Bhante Gunaratana's "Bhavana Vandana" as best as I could. It's actually a pretty good book. Lulu.com sells it.
With metta,

Justin
theravada_guy

Postby LauraJ » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:34 am

It's lovely :twothumbsup:
Dharma Wheel
Buddha Blog

Conquer the angry man by love. Conquer the ill-natured man by goodness. Conquer the miser with generosity. Conquer the liar with truth. -The Dhammapada
LauraJ

Postby theravada_guy » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:57 am

Thanks Laura!
With metta,

Justin
theravada_guy

Postby David N. Snyder » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:15 am

theravada_guy wrote:They described it as vintage, and it does have some wear on it. But it was affordable and it spoke to me, so I bought it.

:thumbsup:

It looks good!

:buddha2:
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby Butrfly_Nirvana » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:55 pm

:meditate:

I like it. It's simple like mine as well! I am still waiting to get the statue I've chosen, but once I do I'll post a pic as well! Very nice!
Butrfly_Nirvana

Return to Shrine Room