Tathāgatagarbha & Buddha-dhatu (Discovering Theravada vers.)

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
baratgab

Re: Tathāgatagarbha & Buddha-dhatu

Postby baratgab » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:39 am

If it is of any interest at all, one possible way of viewing Buddha Nature is that beings already have nibbana (or jhanas, for that matter); it is just covered with activity. This is in line with the path of letting go: we need less, rather than more; we need to lose, rather than to gain. If applied to the mental sphere, the end point is total detachment, anatta. I think I have heard this explanation from Ajahn Brahm (well, I'm just a parrot), who is very keen on reconciling traditions.
"Just as in the great ocean there is but one taste — the taste of salt — so in this Doctrine and Discipline there is but one taste — the taste of freedom"

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:44 pm

Paññāsikhara

Postby Paññāsikhara » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:18 pm

My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: .

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:46 pm

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

baratgab

Postby baratgab » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:38 am

"Just as in the great ocean there is but one taste — the taste of salt — so in this Doctrine and Discipline there is but one taste — the taste of freedom"

Paññāsikhara

Postby Paññāsikhara » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:38 am

My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: .

Paññāsikhara

Postby Paññāsikhara » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:46 am

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:10 am

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Paññāsikhara

Postby Paññāsikhara » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:21 am

Ben

Postby Ben » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:24 am

Hi everyone

I have created a copy of this thread and placed it in the DFFA forum for those who are interested in exploring the topic outside of the constraints of the Discovering Theravada forum which, as Retro said, is for the purpose of presenting a Theravada perspective for those new to the Theravada.
I invite all those interested in continuing the discussion and exploring the Mahayana and Vajrayana perspectives alongside the Theravada perspectives, here: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3455,in the Dhamma-fre-for-all. Go to the last message in the thread to see my direction there.
Keep in mind that as a thread has been created to explore non-Theravadan pov regarding Tathāgatagarbha & Buddha-dhatu, any further non-Theravadin perspectives posted here will be deleted without warning.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

withoutcolour

Re: Tathāgatagarbha & Buddha-dhatu (Discovering Theravada vers.)

Postby withoutcolour » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:30 am

Wow, this thread as grown so much!
I'm sorry if things got a little confusing or if I stirred up a few arguments ( :popcorn: ), just wanted a little clarification...
I know we all have the potential to become arahants but I wasn't sure if the Theravadins had a specific TERM for that, or if that was confined strictly to the Mahayana traditions. With that being said, I think that the Theravadins not having a term for this is actually beneficial to practice, in that it is one less thing to attach or cling to (as said by some posters above).

Thank you all so very much for your contributions.
To follow up, I have read through Bhikkhu Bodhi's "In the Buddha's Words" in its entirety and I feel like I have a much stronger grasp on the early teachings of the Buddha, and on Theravada in general. Every sutta, every page, made me feel very happy and in touch with the Tathagata. I have countless sticky notes on favorite suttas and stuff I would like to read again and again. What an invaluable piece of literature to have!

-wc
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ
sabbe sattā sukhita hontu

Paññāsikhara

Postby Paññāsikhara » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:51 am

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:13 pm

Greetings,

This topic has been closed in consultation with the original poster.

If you wish to discuss this topic further please do so at viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3455

Metta,
Retro. :)

Return to “Discovering Theravāda”